PDA

View Full Version : Hello and questions from total newbie

JackalopeFALfan
September 16, 2001, 10:34
Aloha all...

Yesterday, after many months of desire, I finally got my first FAL. It's a frankenstein STG with an Imbel receiver and a smattering of American parts.

Anyway, I have never attempted any form of "homesmithing" and am wondering if you folks would help me a bit.

I am enthralled with that new Tapco muzzle break, and would really want to put one on my new baby, but I don't have a threaded barrel. I also realise that Tapco sells said barrels, but I know that I have to permanantly attach the muzzlebreak, or the ATF would shake their collective finger at me while *tsk*ing and throwing me in legirons. How do I go about permanantly attaching the muzzlebreak? I doubt locktite would be the official answer, but...

Also, I know of this video put out by (forget the name) that is a step-by-step on building the FAL by yourself. The company puts out all kinds of home 'smithing courses on video. Has anyone had any personal experience with this tape, and would they recommend it?

Anyway, I hope I'm not too green for everyone here. The FAL has been the apple of my eye for quite some time, and I have a feeling that this is going to be my first out of many.

Thanks! :D

The Jackalope

PS- oh yeah, and does anyone know if someone makes a "T-48" style handguard? I like the looks of that thing!

kithochang
September 16, 2001, 11:36
Bienvenidos und Willkommen.
Start by ordering Mr. Graham's FAL homesmithing video at http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/

While you wait for it to arrive, use the search feature on this website --it is all here.

Aloha!

kotengu
September 16, 2001, 11:43
First of all - welcome to the wonderful world of FAL's!

To put a muzzle brake on an unthreaded barrel you can either thread the barrel or put a new already threaded barrel on. Either one of those is a little more involved than basic 'smithing, but it's definitely do-able (hell, even I did it!). To permanently attach it, you can silver solder it (probably easiest if you have a torch) or blind pin it. I don't think loctite will hold to the required temp (don't recall the temp req'd by the ATF to be considered permanent - I'm sure it's in the FAQ somewhere, though).

As for the video - skip the "box-brand" video and buy Gunplumber's video. What it's lacking in production capabilities it MORE than makes up for in good information. I think his website is www.arizonaresponse.com (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com)

You're never too green - I started here with nothing but a desire to find a good .308 semi-auto rifle and now I'm building my 2nd! This board rocks!

Matt

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: kotengu ]

Radio
September 16, 2001, 13:26
Locktite will NOT be legal. Big Bruddah requires a "permanent" attachment, in this case meaning 1100-degree silver solder. Other solders that flow at temperatures under 1100 degrees will NOT meet the standards of "permanence" as currently defined. (BTW, this heat will not hurt your barrel.)

To use the TAPCO brake you admire (me too, gives a nice authentic look to an StG) the barrel MUST be threaded 9/16x24 LH (standard FAL Metric-pattern threading) since the brake already is. Buying a new, already-threaded barrel is a bit drastic unless your present barrel is a dog. (Barrel replacement is definitely NOT an operation for a newcomer without certain specialized tools.) You theoretically could "blind-pin" the brake on, but since you already have to thread the barrel in order to mount the brake, silver soldering probably makes more sense.

The video you are referring to is the AGI series. As the others have stated already, Gunplumber's Arizona Response Systems video is vastly superior in terms of informational content. Runs about six hours total. Might be a good idea to also get his manual in a package deal; it contains illustrations and exploded diagrams of your rifle that are not included in the shareware version.

Caution. Next thing you know we'll get you into WECSOG, the Wiley E. Coyote School Of Gunsmithin'... ;)

--Radio

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Radio ]

EMDII
September 16, 2001, 14:21
Short answer:

Silver Solder
Welding (MAPP Gas)
Blind Pin

or other PERMANENT method of attachment. Noe of these are 'permanent, but do require some effort to remove. They either significantly alter the metallurgy of the join, or mechanically impede the disassembly of the join.

You get the drift.

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: EMDII ]

farranger
September 16, 2001, 17:45
Ted, you brought that up,so I'll ask, does ATF like 1100 degree silver solder because it will destroy the barrel or soften it if it is taken off. I've wondered, but never asked, just curious.

W.E.G.
September 16, 2001, 19:33
Originally posted by farranger:
<STRONG>Ted, you brought that up,so I'll ask, does ATF like 1100 degree silver solder because it will destroy the barrel or soften it if it is taken off. I've wondered, but never asked, just curious.</STRONG>

None of the above.

Silver solder is simply regarded as "permanently attached."

See ATF letter at http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter40.txt

JackalopeFALfan
September 16, 2001, 21:18
Wow! I feel the love! Thanks for the quick responces, it's nice to belong (heh).

I will be ordering that video and manual from gunplumber tomorrow! Although I probably won't be able to get around to altering the barrel anytime SOON, I am looking forward to finding more out about the rifle I am coming to love!

Teusday I find out what .308 will do to bowling pins, an old computer, and the dead monitor that goes with it.

Thanks everyone!

The Jackalope

Derby FALs
September 16, 2001, 21:44
Welcome Jackalope

His picture (http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/ClassifiedsCt/ricco-suave/jackalope.html)

Bryan
September 16, 2001, 23:56
I had Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms cut down my barrel and rethread it so I could attach a muzzle brake. I'm sure that you can get this done, even with the receiver mated to the barrel. You can keep the barrel at it's present length and get it threaded (I think he will even silver solder the brake if you have one) or you can get it cut down to a shorter length first and then threaded and attach the mb. I know there are other 'smiths that post on this board a lot and they would do great work, if they take relatively small projects such as this vs a complete build, but I had Jayson do mine and it was done very nicely at a good price.
http://www.investmentgradefirearms.com/