PDA

View Full Version : Collective reloading experience...the poll

gunsmith_tony
October 12, 2006, 21:34
I bet we have enough to be a friggen institute!
Hell I'm in the 30 to 40 crowd. :eek:

Brush511
October 13, 2006, 00:34
I'm with you Tony. Started when I was 14 with .44 Mag. I'm 48 now. Hard to believe it's been that long.

Dave

Andy the Aussie
October 13, 2006, 01:01
I am only young (not like some of you old farts ;) ) but I am still in the 20-30 range... :eek:

Temp
October 13, 2006, 01:16
I don't go at it like I used to, but for several years I was chronic,... blew a tendon out in my left forearm from hanging onto a pair of RCBS mold handles for hours on end,... used to scan intersections while stopped at red lights looking for wayward wheel weights. (no chit)

I'd really like to see all the ammo I loaded back then in one pile.

ftierson
October 13, 2006, 01:17
I started in 1964 when I was a young whippersnapper...

I'd take part in the poll but my memory is so bad that I can't count that high anymore...

:)

Actually, now that I'm done joking about memory loss, I realize that I might even have started a year or two earlier. I'll have to check my records later to see when I bought my first set of Herter's 6.5x55mm dies...

Forrest

instr8
October 13, 2006, 07:24
Started when I was 17-18 on a friends lee turret press and lee powder dippers, in a 10X10 junk shed loading 44mag for a ruger blackhawk. Soon thereafter bought an RCBS rockchucker and still use it today. I'm 41 now.

owlcreekok
October 13, 2006, 09:06
used to scan intersections while stopped at red lights looking for wayward wheel weights. (no chit)

:rofl:

Mea Culpa Maxima.

I figgered up when I started with a Lee Loader on .38 spl. Somebody wanna tell me where over 20 years went ?

fire for effect
October 14, 2006, 10:32
I have began reloading in the 1970's. I am now a Certified Reloading Instructor for the NRA.

fastprofessor
October 14, 2006, 10:59
20-30 years. Started reloading with my dad when I was a kid. We reloaded for everything we shot. For the last 6 years or so, Bree and I have thrown most of his reloading stuff as well as my reloading stuff in my basement, and I've been doing A BUNCH more reloading (and shooting for that matter).

Deltaten
October 14, 2006, 11:20
I had all but given up recreational shooting 'till a buddy got me into reloading. That was all but 25 yr ago; and I haven't looked back since. FOnd memories of sitting at the kitchen counter, stirrin' up .45s and .38/.357s.

I don't load as much as I once did; but my capacity is much higher now:D

Paul

BUFF
October 14, 2006, 14:28
When I bought my first decent firearm, a new Remington 700 .30-06 in 1974, I soon found out how much fun it was to blast rocks and such at 200-500 yards, and the habit was ammo-consumptive, and chronic blasting was pretty expensive for a college student. I scrounged up my first reloading set-up (a new, cast iron "Eagle" brand C-press and dies; press is still good but dies were junk and came apart the first time I used them) at a garage sale. I knew no one else that reloaded metallic cartridges and had to learn on my own from reloading manuals. I admit it took a great deal of fortitude and courage to shove my face right down behind the bolt and touch off the first reload. I remember closing my eyes, as if the eyelids would be able to stop steel scrap being blown back into my face at 50,000 psi!

I soon found that my handloads were a lot more accurate than the factory ammo, as well as far, far cheaper. I liked tuning my loads to the rifle. It took little work to get down to 3/4 m.o.a. with hunting bullets, this with a fixed 4X scope.

Then I discovered handguns and fell in love with the .44 Special cartridge. In 1975, the only .44 Special ammo anyone made used a round nose lead bullet of 246 grains at less than 700 fps our of a 6" revolver. Useless for anything but plinking. Elmer Keith basically developed the .44 Magnum from the .44 Special and worked up loads that threw a 250 grain cast SWC at over 1,200 fps, so there was obviously room for improvement over the factory rounds. I had a custom S&W revolver built. I went through a lot of ammo trying to learn how to shoot a big bore handgun double action. Back then, good cast bullets were not available for sale and you couldn't ship components through the mail, and jacketed bullets were costly, so I bought a bullet casting outfit from a coworker and learned that.

It's a nice feeling to have a pile of powder, primers, bullets and wheelweights, with dies and bullet moulds for just about everything I shoot, rat-holed here.

newfalguy101
October 14, 2006, 16:17
I started in the mid 90's and steadily have added more and more loading equipment over the years.

I have really gotten back into it the last few months as I am running my handloads at our twice a month IDPA matches, I also need to get a load worked up for my daughters deer rifle, and ammo loaded for my own as well!!!!

busy busy busy

DYNOMIKE
October 14, 2006, 16:47
I have FOND memories of Loading both Shotshells and Metallic Cartridges with my Dad when I was but a Lad..
He had a Corner of the Basement set up with his presses. One was some kinda press I have not seen since?

I have been reloading for myself for 20 years I guess, sometimes Hot and Heavy sometimes just a Bit..
Kinda burnt myself out a Few years back trying to make reloading a LOT more than it needed to be, by Burying myself in a quagmire of Data by trying every combination of evrything I could find for every gun I owned..

NOW~ I do things MUCH differently and it has become fun again. I load for all my guns, including Shotshells and have come to appreciate the process all over again.
Today I shoot as much as I can and, I have Two Sons that enjoy range day almost as much as I do so it is also a Good thing for the WALLET..

ftierson
October 14, 2006, 19:55
By the way, I finally managed to add up all the years and then voted, so the over 40 is me...

Forrest

K. Funk
October 14, 2006, 20:20
I'm in the 5-10 yr. range. I have a .264 Win mag. Ammunition just wasn't available. Thats how I got started. Now 42 die sets later, I'm having a ball!! I love loading for hand guns. I don't shoot the rifle reloads as much.

krf

aardq
October 15, 2006, 22:53
Started back in 1970 with a Lee loader. Moved to a single stage CH press about 72, began bullet casting about 73, and got a Dillon 350 when they came out. It still gets occasional use.

Dan

Texas Jaguar
October 16, 2006, 08:25
I was 16 when the father of a school friend offered to help me get started in reloading.

All I had to shoot then was a hunky-junky Peruvian Mauser converted to 30-06 and a WWII 1911A1 that my dad had "liberated" from the army air corp.

That friends dad was Dan Simonton. At the time he was a part time shooter and a full time salesman. He later joined the OANG and went to armourers school.

Dan became a gunsmith in Oklahoma City at Andy Andersons sporting goods store and a few other places after Andy's burned down and closed.

The reason I'm going into all this detail is that Dan passed away earlier this year. I haven't seen Dan in longer than I care to admit and never really thanked him the way I should have.

So a belated thanks Dan. Just goes to show you that some of the finest people you meet not only own guns but know how to shoot, repair and make ammunition for them. And are not shy about teaching and helping others to appreciate them.

Chip
October 16, 2006, 12:38
About 51 years now. Started with a Lachmiller single stage shot shell press. About two years later, I bought a used Pacific C press and scale in a pawn shop. Ordered a set of 45ACP and 30-06 dies from Herters. I had a Webley bird head grip that had been converted to 45ACP and an 03A3 30-06 rifle. Still doing it today. But now I have enough loading and casting equiptment and componets to start a small store. Still going stomg today.

lew
October 17, 2006, 09:20
I just started last year when my grandfather gave my brother and I his loading equipment.

W.E.G.
October 17, 2006, 10:06
since 1985

Wore out a Lee turret press.

Tried a Dillon progressive. Not my style.

Rockchucker should last me the rest of the way.

MAINER
October 23, 2006, 10:37
Don't know why, but can't vote. Am another one havin trouble recollecting back that far ago. I remember RCBS A2 presses, Rockchuckers were a cheap imitation then. Still have lead, wheelweights, linotype squirlled away.

30 sets of dies, 20 moulds, 3 presses later, still crankin away.

Damn, guess its 40+ for me.

Rockchucker(72)

Woulda been interestin to have had a cycle counter on that press handle!

Saved what money?

owlcreekok
October 23, 2006, 10:49
Saved what money?

:rofl:

:bow:

ftierson
October 23, 2006, 15:20
Originally posted by MAINER
Saved what money?

No shit...

But I've done a lot of shooting...

Forrest

DJ
October 23, 2006, 17:08
I started reloading back about 1972. I bought my first handgun, a S&W M28 Highway Patrolman. I had to reload if I wanted to shoot it much and I bought one of those Lee loaders. you know the one....drive the case into a die with a plastic mallet, drive it back out again, seat a primer by putting a rod down through the case.......well, you remember those things. I put up with that for a couple of years and decided to hell wid dis, i'm buying me a press. I bought an RCBS JR press, and an RCBS ammocrafter kit. The old cast iron framed one. Man, I loaded thousands of rounds on that press. When my uncle Harry passed away in 1986, he left me all of his reloading stuff. I got his Rockchucker!! It's still on my bench. My brother has my old JR press. Now i've got the Rockchucker and old Lyman turret press, a Dillon 550B and a Square Deal B. I must have 25 different sets of dies, half a dozen different conversions for the SDB and 4 or 5 different tool head setups for the 550.
I have no idea how many rounds that I've reloaded over the years.....
I still thank my old Uncle Harry for gettin me started in this gun/reloading hobby.

hagar
October 23, 2006, 20:02
There are bold reloaders, and there are old reloaders. There are no old, bold reloaders. Keep that in mind.

Gunga Din
October 23, 2006, 20:19
"over 40 years...Bury me with my" ..... RCBS A-2.   ....still have 2 of 'em..... :D

My first RCBS dies are dated 1965, but Dad and I bought a Herters turret press and dies a few years before that.

Shootability
October 23, 2006, 20:22
Started in 1973 with a Mec 600 for shotshells. Got a lee loader for 30-06 later that year - the next year I got a RockChucker and have been on a roll ever since - Rockchucker/Turret press/3 progressives. I no longer load shotshells - go figure.

ftierson
October 23, 2006, 20:56
Originally posted by Gunga Din
"over 40 years...Bury me with my" ..... RCBS A-2.   ....still have 2 of 'em..... :D

My first RCBS dies are dated 1965, but Dad and I bought a Herters turret press and dies a few years before that.

You had one of those old Herter's 234 turret presses too...?

All 500 lbs of it?

Forrest

mhg
October 23, 2006, 21:20
Some of my first memories are of hanging out with my Dad and watching him reload.

Matt

william013
October 23, 2006, 21:26
My dad and I started out on a Herters press back in 1971 or 72 . Loaded a lot of 30.06 and 45 ACP. I still prefer to load on a single stage press, don't ask me why, I just do. Just a pleasant way to kill time and save money! Now I need a set of 308 dies for my FAL. (Just threw that in incase Santa is reading thru the threads tonight!):rofl:

newfalguy101
October 23, 2006, 21:36
Originally posted by mhg
Some of my first memories are of hanging out with my Dad and watching him reload.

Matt

thats neat

I hope my daughter feels that way someday.............

English Mike
November 01, 2006, 21:23
Just getting my list of stuff needed for reloading together.

I had some tutoring & practice with ce back in May & spent a while watching the gman put together some test loads for hunting on Monday - most educational.

AndyC
November 01, 2006, 21:55
Started at 10 - that's 31 years now. Dang!

shootist87122
November 01, 2006, 22:42
Something, but not much, over 30. Buy good stuff and it will last (AMHIK).

Random Chaos
November 07, 2006, 19:33
Well, I am half way through my very first 10 rounds!!! I ordered a Rock chucker kit last week from Midsouth ($220) and while traveling on business last Thursday swung by Wideners and picked up powder, bullets, .45 brass and a couple misc. items. I can already tell I'm gonna enjoy this. Tonight I'm going to seat and crimp the bullets and tomorrow I'll play a little hooky from work to see how I did!!!

Rick

gunsmith_tony
November 07, 2006, 19:40
:biggrin:

English Mike
November 07, 2006, 19:53
That's how I intend to start - five or ten rounds at a time, so that I don't make the BIG mistake early:wink:

Mind you, I'll have to find another supplier apart from bleedin' Midway:mad:

william013
November 08, 2006, 01:13
Now you are beginning to understand how we feed our addiction!:rofl:

gunsmith_tony
November 15, 2006, 23:46
Wow! roughly 1,400 years of collective loading experience right here. And thats just those of us who chose to post about it.

newfalguy101
November 16, 2006, 18:41
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE

Mind you, I'll have to find another supplier apart from bleedin' Midway :mad:

Whats the issue with Midway??

Random Chaos
November 16, 2006, 18:50
They won't ship across the pond to Mikey.

English Mike
November 16, 2006, 19:44
Originally posted by Random Chaos
They won't ship across the pond to Mikey.

It ain't just that: they won't even ship to the US for me!!!!

No US CC billing address = no deal.

Bit of a bugger if I wanted a Christmas present sent to someone innit?

william013
November 16, 2006, 21:34
English Mike

I'm just thinking here, but could you send an international money order to someone you know here in the U.S. and have them order the stuff from Midway and send it in your name? (Anything to avoid the BS fees charged by bankers.):cool:

shootist87122
November 16, 2006, 22:38
Shitte Mikie,

Whatcha want? I'll order it for ya! (C&R dealer pricing ta boot.)

Jose of NM

Artful
November 17, 2006, 00:09
Originally posted by aardq
Started back in 1970 with a Lee loader. Moved to a single stage CH press about 72, began bullet casting about 73, and got a Dillon 350 when they came out. It still gets occasional use.

Dan

Do you mean Dillon RL300 - machined turned uprights bolted to cast base and machined head for the dies - your only the second owner I've known :biggrin:

Mebsuta
November 17, 2006, 07:18
Originally posted by lngnmn
started loading for 8x57 cause there weren't any good- affordable commercial loads around.

Tambien. In addition, all the ranges started banning FMJ, which ruled out surplus, which can be shitty and dangerous anyway.