PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a loose GAS TUBE.

FootLongCuban
September 15, 2001, 21:00
Is your full length gas tube loose?

A sloppy fit?

Squirmin 'round like a catholic schoolgirl?
...{what the..)

ANYWAY...

The easiest and simpleist fix is to simply remove the gas tube and remove a few threads with your file. Take a bit off at a time and test fit. Using this method you can get it to time up right on the notch and be nice and tight, Like a catholic sh...ummmm

...I have used this method and it works great. No solder, no loctite, to solder...works great and takes about 3 minutes.

stimpsonjcat
September 16, 2001, 00:46
Yep...spend some time with her and she'll appreciate it!

The extra time spent will result in years of appreciation for both.

Oh yeah...and rub her feet too...it makes the ammo purchases go more smoothly.

Rifles are like women...once you figure out how to pull the levers and squeeze the trigger it's all good. Or was that men? Aw hell...it doesn't matter who figures who out as long as they use the intel!!!!!

Derby FALs
September 17, 2001, 21:20
I put an Argy together tonight and did this trick. Really snugged it up. Like a virgin.
Try to check her out tomorrow.

Update. This is one of my best shooting FALs now. I had a lot of carbon blowing out the slots before. Now there is just a hint.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: DerbyFALs ]

gunnut1
September 18, 2001, 04:12
As I understand it, the gas tube is supposed to wobble back and forth. And, the vent holes are suppose to go in the 4 and 8 o'clock position. In other words, down. There was a thread about this very thing a while back. The reason, IRRC, it needs to wobble is because of heat expansion. As you fire the gun, the tube gets hot and expands. This can cause the threads to expand and squeeze down around the gas piston. With the tube a little loose and wobbling, the threads have plenty of room to expand.
http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001714
http://www.l1a1.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=002065

MetalKnight
September 18, 2001, 05:43
I sealed mine with a dab of hi-temp silicone gaket goop. I have not shot it yet but I think this should work well and allow for expansion. Anyone tried this and can tell me why it would be bad?

Thanks,
MK

Slugger
September 18, 2001, 12:59
Looks like we have two completely oposite opinions on this. Who is the tie breaker?

floatingFAL
September 18, 2001, 23:02
If there has to be room to expand STG-58s are in trouble.
floatingFAL

Bruce Allen
September 19, 2001, 15:03
I used some teflon tape to snug up my gas tube.
Worked well and was simple to use.

msnyder
October 16, 2001, 10:24
My Imbel kits came with a slight wobble in the gas tube and vents pointing down. I left them that way and they work fine on a setting of 3-4.

gunhead
October 16, 2001, 12:38
Hi Guys;
Seems my CAI Fal came with teflon tape at that point, Works fine. At least it has'nt popped out or loosened up anyway :D

FALPhil
October 16, 2001, 16:51
Msnyder,

I'd look into tightening them up if I were you. If those tubes ever let go, they will crack you handguards. Ask me how I know. ;)

Originally posted by msnyder:
<STRONG>My Imbel kits came with a slight wobble in the gas tube and vents pointing down. I left them that way and they work fine on a setting of 3-4.</STRONG>

gw11
October 16, 2001, 17:46
On My last 5 Fals I've removed one thread and snugged up the gas tube.
I fit it just to the point of contact, leaving the tube with very minor movement.

I agree with the Fixed Tube STG concept.
As far as heat changing the fit up of the piston! Well ! when I shoot one I go through 200 rds per gun on any given Sunday.
I make sure I can hit the center of the target, then I Shoot to Shoot. Screw being polite, I make Noise!! and Lots of Heat! and my Fals cyle the same, beginning to end.

I've tried the Teflon Tape trick and most of the time it blows out after 150 rds.
I've also done the "Measure every Piece bit"
This is pain staking and disappointing. Let along Costly, and the Disappointing again!
Hope this helps!
gw11

Templator
October 28, 2001, 11:42
Just a note,.. measured both of the gas rod diameters on my G1's with some dial calipers and they both came up .430". The new US made one I got from DSA measured .432" Not sure what effect the extra .002" will have. Haven't tried it yet. Might give a better seal and allow the gas setting to be set a notch lower.