PDA

View Full Version : Anybody loading for 455 Webley (revolver and semi auto) ?

SteveW
October 08, 2006, 17:04
If so, where do you get your brass and heads ? For my 455 revolvers I am using 45LC Winchester brass that has been trimmed for both length and rim thickness. The 'issue' is that the resulting brass is neither one thing or another (!). It won't fit into a 455 Webley shell holder/plate as the 45 LC rim diameter is smaller than 455, and its a poor fit in a 45LC holder because of thinning down the case rim.. Still, it's better than nothing at all !

I cast hollow base heads with an NEI Webley 455 mould (#330). I have the RCBS mould, but find it won't cast a full 455 dia. head, even with 12-1 alloy.

I just ran up some loads for the above combination with Trail Boss, if anyone wants that load data, or for HS6, just let me know.

I use 460 Rowland brass for my 455 autos, with a cast head from a 6 gang mould I had custom made by Lee Precision. It works well, but I wondered if anyone was using trimmed down 45 Win Mag brass, or were using a commercial head. I found that I needed to size my cast heads to .457" after getting a lot of leading. The semi auto's barrel measured .456" down in the grooves. That makes it a tight squeeze into the 460 Rowland cases ! Again, load data is available for anyone who wants it.

S.

Survey Punk
October 08, 2006, 22:06
I've got 2 Webly revolvers. One in .455 the other has been modified to .45 auto rim or ACP with moon clips. I have heard that Hornady was going to start loading .455 but haven't seen any advertised. I bought 3 boxes of Fiochi .455 from Ammoman http://www.ammoman.com/index.htm but it's pricey. Could be a source of brass, though.

JB

chromestarhustler
October 08, 2006, 22:49
someone is making new production stuff. i think hornady. but might be some one else. i saw an ad in a magazine. so do a search.

SteveW
October 09, 2006, 19:20
Thanks for the pointers for brass.

I think that both suppliers would be using Webley mark 2 brass, which is only 3/4 of an inch long. Reloading that makes me very nervous, as by the time the bullet is seated in the case, the powder space is tiny. The slightest error with a modern powder would spell a problem. The brass I make with the 45 LC cases is the orignal Mark 1 blackpowder case length which is 7/8 of an inch. Its all in my head, but it gives a little more margin for error. Anyway, thanks again.

Do either of you reload ? What about 455" heads ?