PDA

View Full Version : OT...good recipe for bear?

sco2004
October 03, 2006, 20:34
This may be a little off topic but....

A buddy of mine took a black bear in northern Michigan this season. He brought over some steaks for me today. Rather than just throw them on the grill. I figured I'd ask if you guys knew a good way to cook them.

Thanks,
Scott

'TUDE
October 03, 2006, 20:59
Best Bear Stew

Cube approx. 2 lbs. of bear steak and set aside.

In a large stew pot, combine the following:
One large onion, diced.
Three large carrots, diced.
Six potatoes, cut into chunks.
One cup tomato sauce.
Three cups chicken broth.
Three cups water.
Crushed clove garlic.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Bring to a simmer, throw out cubed bear steak to hounds, and serve.

Just kiddin ya. :tongue:

The only bear I have had was small tenderized "medallions" cooked chicken fried style after soaking in buttermilk and coating with flour.

mhg
October 03, 2006, 21:15
what was it feeding on?

Matt

sco2004
October 03, 2006, 22:01
Thats a good question. I know that they baited the area with pie filling, apples and other sweet items. Other than that I'm not sure.

Scott

mhg
October 05, 2006, 02:49
Ok

We have everything but the strap and loin ground into summer sausage.

I'm assuming you have one of these cuts

mhg's "grope getter"

1 or 2 bottles Yakima Valley Merlot..... as needed

Recipe

Chop FRESH garlic, thyme,rosmarie, black pepper and KOSHER salt. Keep chopping/folding to a coarse mixture.

Coat meat, let stand while chatting up pretty girl.( Vince, you may want to pepare this in advance)

Anyway, If all is going well cork 2nd bottle.

Now, sear in a HOT pan..... meat

Reduce heat and pull just short of desired doneness.

Deglase pan with red wine/butter and pour over meat.

Let meat stand for a few minutes...... try to say something smart or witty. ( Bill, talk about money)

Serve,,,,

Good luck

Matt

Windustsearch
October 05, 2006, 04:39
Its good fried, but its been so long I don't remember what cut it was.

ONG
October 05, 2006, 07:01
We like it in stew or noodles. MAKE SURE THAT IT IS WELL DONE. Undercooked Bear is about the only way that you can get tricinoses sp? in the US anymore.

sco2004
October 05, 2006, 14:14
Thanks for the recipe Matt. That sounds pretty good. Although I'll wait until the meal is over to tell my girlfriend that it was bear she just ate. :devil:

I have enough that I can make a couple of meals. I think I'll make a stew with the remainder.

Thanks guys,

Scott

lew
October 05, 2006, 14:40
Originally posted by sco2004
Although I'll wait until the meal is over to tell my girlfriend that it was bear she just ate. :devil:

I like your style.:bow: :D

Deltaten
October 05, 2006, 16:28
WHen I did some up many years ago, I got a "reciepe" from an old Mountain Geezer. His deal was to par boil it for a bit, then pan fry with onions and sage/thyme/Rosemery don't recall which now.
Heat pan and oil till it smokes and drop in the meat. Like was said..sear well both sides; then finish cooking THOROUGHLY, de-glaze and make bear/onion gravy.

I'd add a bit of pork fat or bacon, nowadays. The meat's a bit lean. Not too tough and some decent flavor.

Best,
Paul

762 shooter
October 10, 2006, 21:01
I had a bear roast years ago that was marinated in Coca Cola for some time. It was one of the best roasts I have ever had. I'm sure you could do a google search and find something that sounds tasty.

gizmoleep
October 11, 2006, 21:24
we make tamales out ot them, also really good in red chili. The acids in the chili help to tenderize the meat. It is also really good when soaked in buttermilk and then rolled in cornmeal and fried up.

calvinike
October 12, 2006, 10:26
sco2004,
You may want to postpone explanation of the source of the meat until after any possible post meal "festivities".

October 12, 2006, 15:30
Only time I ever had it was up in Alaska. Had some smoked/'qued ribs. Pretty good for snackin'.

ONG
October 13, 2006, 07:18
I corned some last year and it's quit good. Some I smoked and the rest went into the freezer to make with cabbage.

10 ga Water
Canning salt
4 oz Baking soda
1 oz Salt peter
Few whole cloves
1 Teacup sugar
Little black pepper
Bear

Boil and cool the water. Add enough salt to float an egg in. Add remainder ingredients. Add meat to brine and weight down so it is completely covered by the brine. Leave for 2 weeks in the brine in a cool place. NOTES : This recipe is a large amount of brine. When I was a child, we had a large canning stoneware crock pot that we would fill with meat and so needed a lot of water. Posted to MC-Recipe Digest