PDA

View Full Version : G1 Lower loose

RufusG
August 23, 2001, 07:08
When I started playing with my G1 kit I noticed that I could wiggle the buttstock relative to the lower. Closer inspection revealed that the insert in the back of the lower that supports the rear sight and includes the tab for the buttstock lower tang screw is loose from the body of the lower. Is there a way to tighten this or is it broken? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

whatnow
August 23, 2001, 14:39
Take off buttplate & tighten the slotted
screw that holds in the main spring. Tighten
the lower tang screw, if stripped, clean out
the hole, drop in several drops of wood glue
insert screw to the point where it would start to tighten/strip out. Wait 24 hours
then tighten up.

RufusG
August 23, 2001, 14:57
bspring,
Thanks but I may not have made myself clear; the parts that are loose are the body of the lower and the insert piece in the back of the lower(not the buttstock ferrule) that supports the rear sight and the tang screw. If I crank all the way down on the slotted buttstock screw, it will tighten the butt all the way up against that lower insert piece. I can then jiggle the lower vs. the buttstock and see that insert move vs. the lower. I am assuming this is an "insert", the thing may only be moving cause it's broke. :confused:

FXE
August 23, 2001, 17:47
RufusG
I'm not sure about the G1's, but all the others I've seen(R1's, STG's and L1A1's) have had the Block(site dove tail, recoil tube hole and tang) pinned into the TMH and a small section of what appears Solder or Braze at the base where the Tang is! Maybe you could try to have it Tig Welded in place, it's not like your ever going to take it apart there!

HTH
FXE

RufusG
August 23, 2001, 18:46
FXE,
I think you're right. All I see is a pin. I've been playing with two inch lowers, they've got no wiggle. I can't see any brazing on any of them, but they're not all cleaned off either.

FXE
August 23, 2001, 22:54
Originally posted by RufusG:
<STRONG>I can't see any brazing on any of them, but they're not all cleaned off either.</STRONG>

I couldn't tell it either until I glass beaded my first one, but it was there!

Good Luck
FXE

Master Blaster
August 24, 2001, 08:16
RufusG,
There is a $20.00 alternative to your delimma if you are unable to repair it yourself. That is the new lower from the folks at TAPCO. It woul likely be cheaper than having a smith repair the existing lower. Just a thought!
Regards,
Jim :D :D :D :D