PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk scent and hygiene while hunting

'TUDE
September 17, 2006, 14:55
Looking at an EXTENDED length hunt myself, I have thought about the issue of how best to stay clean, stay fresh,and not to emit odors be it from body odor or chemically from perfumes in hygiene products.

I have noticed a few popular products for "no-rinse" shampoo. Does this system work? Smell heavily of perfumes? Not worth the trouble?

How about deodorants? Seems that the brand I use does not make an "odorless" flavor. Searching further, I see none at my stores in any brand that do not "smell" of something. Anything out there worth using?

Same with baby type wipes. They all stink. Somebody has to make a wipe that does not smell like a baby's butt. If there is something out there in a wet wipe for general face cleaning, etc., without the perfumes , let me know.

And no, I ain't gonna spend a gajillion bucks on 10 days worth of scent lock clothing. There has to be a cheaper and easier solution.

gunseller
September 17, 2006, 17:24
Dawn dish soap and water for all of your washing needs. Oh ya, do not eat lots of beans before or durning your hunt.
Gunseller

splattermatic
September 17, 2006, 19:10
speedstick brand unscented deodorant, and use this !
stinky !!!

'TUDE
September 17, 2006, 19:20
Originally posted by splattermatic
stinky !!!
Uh-huh! A balmy 15 degrees with 30 mph winds atop a mountain during a blizzard......and your gonna use that thing? Brrrrrrrrr.

splattermatic
September 17, 2006, 19:23
when the water is nice and toasty, why not ?

:biggrin:

Right Side Up @ 1000 MPH
September 19, 2006, 02:14
I've taken a few showers when it was cold in the Rocky Mountains before. I get so stinky I can't stand myself. I just do it in the middle of the day when it is the warmest. The humidity is so low you dry off super quick anyway. It's only a few minutes of torture.

owlcreekok
September 19, 2006, 15:28
Clean or dirty, you smell like danger to the critters out there. Save for a few, in whose cases you smell like dinner.

I wouldn't recommend using Aramis after your morning S,S & S, other than that the judicious use of the wind deserves more thought.

IMHO

Bentley8
September 19, 2006, 17:23
I hunted in West Virginia with an old feller that was something else. Reeked of tobacco and sweat. No scent control whatsoever. He bagged about a deer a day, legally. Stalking, not sitting.

He just paid attention to the wind and made sure the deer couldn't smell him.

A heck of a hunter.

thunderchicken
September 20, 2006, 21:45
I figure human beings were hunting and killing critters for thousands of years before the invention of hygiene. I can't see that it matters much.

Pluribus
September 21, 2006, 00:27
I hunted in West Virginia with an old feller that was something else. Reeked of tobacco and sweat. No scent control whatsoever. He bagged about a deer a day, legally. Stalking, not sitting.

I too, know a guy like that only, he does sit, in a tree stand, swilling black coffee from a beat up old Stanley, and smoking Marlboro red.

Every year.

jcbrown
September 21, 2006, 08:32
Did a hunt in Alaska two years ago. Brought along my Scent Lock rain camo gear. The problem with scent lock is that it does it's job. The scent, and sweat, don't get out. After two days of hiking thru mountians with a pack, and sweating like a pig, I smelled like Akbar's underwear. And the camo stunk even worse.

I went to a stream, stripped down to the birthday suit and washed in the stream. 55 that day, and the stream was snow fed. Talk about shrinkage. And no towel, so I had to air dry. But it felt damn good to be clean.

Plan on finding a way to heat some water to wash up. You'll thank yourself.

goldenspurholderx2
September 21, 2006, 12:09
Stay away from synthetics next to your skin, get some SmartWool long underwear. Synthetics harbor bacteria that is majorly stinky, try wearing military issue poly pros for 3 weeks straight in Alaska (PeeeWuu). Other than that "whore baths" with unscented baby wipes! They warm up nicely just from body heat if the package is placed close to your core during hiking.
https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

edited to add: You've got to look harder at baby wipes. Get the cheap "non-scented" baby wipes. I'll look around to see if I can find the brand I use.

Bwana John
September 22, 2006, 00:12
I came back to camp one opening morning after backpacking in 9 miles the day before and hunting hard all morning, so I stripped and went swimming in a nice alpine lake.

I was laying butt ass naked on my ground pad and sleeping bag out in the sun when I looked up a little gully above camp, and there was a nice 24" Muley buck.

I shot him from camp-still naked.

Sometimes you got to clean up... just keep your eyes open when you do!

RT
September 22, 2006, 06:11
Smell i am so sorry , i will bath before i use the computer next time. i didn't know that you could smell me :eek: (sorry jeff i had to be a smart arse). good luck in the wood's and kill a big Buck~R:biggrin:

Falunga
September 22, 2006, 09:33
Keep your face, feet, ass/crotch and armpits clean using a small pack stove and a pot of water to heat a spongebath.

Do that and you will stay healthy.

This is my stove

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=60

Fits inside my pan in its carrying case and will burn anything from jet fuel, diesel, gasoline, coleman fuel, alcohol and even rapeseed oil. No problems there finding fuel.

When I'm in the field I carry everything on the backpack and the biggest thing I pack is the rifle and water. But I won't be without this stove and a small pot to heat up water to cook with and clean with.

I don't worry about scent too much as long as it isn't bothering me. That's why a good hunter knows how to work the wind. But one needs to stay HEALTHY and cleanliness is next to godliness especially the face, ass, genitals and keeping those feet from rotting off your bod.

Jim :fal: FALunga

Windustsearch
September 22, 2006, 09:53
Take a bath hippy!

As far as the hunting, I don't think it matters. If you get up-wind they are going to smell you anyway.

owlcreekok
September 22, 2006, 10:23
Take a bath hippy!

YOU are one to talk. :puke:

'TUDE
September 22, 2006, 11:16
Lord have mercy.
I ask about products to use in camp and y'all done think I'm a no-bathing hillbilly.

Really, being clean is a non-issue. I have learned many "alternative" methods to stay clean while out and about in the woods.

My main concern was the smell that some of the products used will be emitting.

Some here say that smell doesn't matter. I for one have seen how scent makes a difference, especially in canyons where wind direction changes frequently.

Muggzy
September 22, 2006, 11:37
Well.....This is what "I" do...but it will vary according to location.

I take the clothes and stand near a camp fire and get the clothes smoked up.

It is not an unusual scent for the deer to smell, in this area. Many camp fires this time of year. I have not had any adverse effects, that I'm aware of. I have had deer as close as 3 yards and have not alerted them.

Doe in heat lures I use....I have used Skunk, raccoon urine and fox urine as
"cover scent" no adverse effects.

I have made mock scrapes and urinated in them....the does I have watched
used the scrape, I have not watched a buck use the mock scrape but I have found hoof prints in the scrape when I have returned.

I am a smoker and I have had a cigarette in my mouth when I had to drop it to shoot. I know it's not a good practice and maybe the older, wiser bucks are
familiar with cigarette smoke but at this time, you couldn't prove it by me.

edited: when I use cover scents and or doe urine I use a drag rag on a stick
I do not put scents on my person

gearlogo
September 22, 2006, 15:07
My friends "Cabin" that I say at while hunting in Upstate New York was in this old house magazine. My days of roughing it are long past.

Into the victorian shower I go after a "long" day in the woods. If I'm lucky I can shoot a deer while eating lunch on the porch :)

English Mike
September 22, 2006, 19:03
I've been bugging the guys over here for any information about hunting deer that they have & the universal answer about scent is to stay downwind of the quarry.
Seems like good advice to me.

W.E.G.
September 22, 2006, 19:17
All I know is I can be in the absolute middle of nowhere, when the urge to purge strikes.

So, I find a convenient spot away from my stand to relieve myself.

It never fails. Right as I'm in full drop-trou position, and crownin' brown, along comes another hunter. Somehow, just saying, "Hi, how ya doin'" while yer in the middle of cuttin' a turd doesn't seem like the appropriate exchange.

Last time it happened, the other hunter was a young fella with his GIRLFRIEND in tow no less. IIRC, I was wearing full face-camo, and I was hanging onto a bent sapling to obtain proper trajectory without having to completely step out of my huntin' pants. My glaring white butt was shining on that clear November morning.

:eek:

So much for hygiene and decorum in the woods.

owlcreekok
September 22, 2006, 19:50
Originally posted by W.E.G.
All I know is I can be in the absolute middle of nowhere, when the urge to purge strikes.

It never fails. Right as I'm in full drop-trou position, and crownin' brown, along comes another hunter. Somehow, just saying, "Hi, how ya doin'" while yer in the middle of cuttin' a turd doesn't seem like the appropriate exchange.

Last time it happened, the other hunter was a young fella with his GIRLFRIEND in tow no less. IIRC, I was wearing full face-camo, and I was hanging onto a bent sapling to obtain proper trajectory without having to completely step out of my huntin' pants. My glaring white butt was shining on that clear November morning.

Dude, you have brought singular humility to a new level.

:cry:

Falunga
September 22, 2006, 22:37
Do you know why turds are tapered?

Pluribus
September 23, 2006, 00:43
Do you know why turds are tapered?

It's killin' me. Tell us why?

Falunga
September 23, 2006, 07:42
Turds are tapered so when they pop out your bunghole doesn't snap shut too hard!

owlcreekok
September 23, 2006, 09:09
...and do any of you know why a dog lifts his leg to pee ?

Temp
September 23, 2006, 09:26

You musta been the Sasquatch that young couple called into the George Norry show about.

Powderfinger
September 23, 2006, 12:23

Fergit the verbal exchange!

Just put on your BEST "Quest For Fire" face and give a grunt, then carry on. Bare your teeth too. The camo paint will add to the affect. :biggrin:

As far as hygiene, get some of that waterless hand purifier before you do camp cook chores and your buddies won't end up on kidney dyalisis.

You can create trajectory? :bow:

Powderfinger
September 23, 2006, 14:13
Originally posted by owlcreekok
...and do any of you know why a dog lifts his leg to pee ?

I'll bite owl...Why?

owlcreekok
September 23, 2006, 14:27
The dog hikes one leg up so as to throw his ass outta gear so he don't shit.

Powderfinger
September 23, 2006, 15:03
Well, there's one I never heard before.:D

Muggzy
October 31, 2006, 16:04
So....I'm draggin' an old thread up but I got curious as to how you stinky rascals
got along with each other out there.:rofl:

Really, now... was scent or odor a problem?

Falunga
October 31, 2006, 16:07
Muggzy had to dig up this old smelly thread...

hagar
October 31, 2006, 18:26
Unscented baby wipes and a little vinegar. It's in a class by itself.

W.E.G.
October 31, 2006, 19:25
I bought a huntin' license and a box of shells today.

Already got the TP pre-positioned.

Virginia blaze orange law says I gotta wear 100 square inches of the stuff, and it has to be visible from 360 degrees.

I'm thinking I'll go with the wig this season.

(...I hope no deer smell that)

Falunga
October 31, 2006, 19:28
In WI that wig wouldn't be warm enough.

No sweating in November here anyhow...

Jim :fal: FALunga

dakdak
October 31, 2006, 21:18
Both "Huggies" and "Pampers" make unscented baby wipes.

Also, the best scent-lock hunting gear...coveralls etc. can double as an effective barrier against bio warfare agents. There is usually a charcoal lining inside double layers of cloth. That is my paranoid survival tip for the day. Remember to use tape to seal up completely. But do not expect to wear it long if you tape up and use a mask.

Actually, I WAS paranoid until THEY cut off one of my legs.
Now I'm mononoid.

Sorry...off topic again. :biggrin:

hagar
October 31, 2006, 21:57
I bought a huntin' license and a box of shells today.

Already got the TP pre-positioned.

Virginia blaze orange law says I gotta wear 100 square inches of the stuff, and it has to be visible from 360 degrees.

I'm thinking I'll go with the wig this season.

(...I hope no deer smell that)

If I had a choice between being wearing camo and be hard to see to shoot me, or wearing blaze orange and be easy to see to shoot me, which one should I pick? :uhoh:

Falcon
October 31, 2006, 22:37
The secret weapon...Nullo (http://www.nullo.com/)

Start taking it a week, or so, before the hunt as it reduces body odors dramatically.This coupled with scent-lok clothing makes a deadly combination against big game's olfactory receptors.

splattermatic
October 31, 2006, 23:05
mugzy,
no problems at all.
a wash cloth, warm water, some soap, and a rinse,,,, good to go...

plus if it got bad the campers did have showers.....

Muggzy
November 01, 2006, 07:27
Thanks Splat,

Only time I have been hunting/camping was a 4 day trip in a tent. Scent/order was not a problem 'cause it was November/December. Seems to me the tuff
part was keeping boots dry and/or drying them out:cry: Didn't notice scent
or our body odor running any game off but then you don't always see all the game.

Sound llike you guys had a great time. Somethin you guys should treasure.

Andy the Aussie
November 03, 2006, 03:29
stinky !!! ...............hey I RECOGNISE that bag...... ;)

I use a similar jobby out here even in the depths of winter. I find that the few chilly minutes while I towel off (presuming that the camp serf is busy cooking my dinner) are the worst part....nice warm water and a bit of prior planning can make it all work out easily.

plus if it got bad the campers did have showers..... .....and some suggested that my comments about your hot tub out bush was too harsh...it would appear I have been vindicated.....:biggrin: :biggrin:

Andy the Aussie
November 03, 2006, 05:16
On a more serious note, I have never been at all fond of sent blocks/covers etc etc. I think as has already been stated that being mindful of the wind is the most important issue, no matter when YOU smell like it is bad to deer. My only concession to this is making sure my hunting clothes are well rinsed in fresh water alone, no soaps etc.

Andy:bigangel:

Muggzy
November 03, 2006, 07:31
I think the deer that I pursue like the smell of cigars and they don't really care how I smell:biggrin:

StG58Freak
November 03, 2006, 08:14
Forget the expensive scent lock clothing it's just a gimmick to separate a Hunter from his wallet. As long as you are alive and breathing you are dispersing scent molecules by the millions and to be truely scent free that scent lock clothing would have to completely cover your head and be air tight which would limit your hunt to a minute or so. As for keeping clean the unscented baby wipes do work.
The Scent Shield and Scent-A-Way companies to name a few market some scent free bar soap, shampoo and scent free stick deorderant that works well. I believe both of these companies also have some waterless scent free shampoo and body wash now as well. The regular waterless shampoo and body wash stuff works BUT it has some kind of perfumes in it, not very good for scent control. Even a bar of Home Made Soap will work as long as it hasn't had any perfume added.
As far as cover scent i spray my Deer Huntin clothes with an Earth Scent and keep them in a plastic bag where other oders can't get to them and only wear those clothes for the hunt. You smell like dirt but hey dirt is everywhere. Some people use Apple, Pine etc. cover scents but those scents aren't found everywhere but Earth / Dirt is.
I don't pay much attention to the wind anymore and i hunt from the ground either sitting with my back against a tree or still hunting and i get 20 yards or less shots with my Bow all the time, several Deer a year depending on the Regs that year. Keep clean and put some Scent Shield spray on your boots, Bow and / or Firearm and your face and head and your as good to go as you're ever gonna get.

'TUDE
November 03, 2006, 19:52
In the 9 days on the mountain, I found that the unscented baby wipes helped more than anything. I also used alot of Gold Bond Medicated foot powder in the boots to keep the dogs fresh.

The main problem I had was keeping my contacts fresh. That campfire smoke did a number on them.

Other than that, I'm not so sure scent was eliminated enough. I mean, All the shots had to be taken at extreme distances and every time we'd see something up close, it would snort and take off coughing and sneezing. Splat said it had to do with the colder temps and animals getting colds but I'd swear they were running for fresh air, gagging on the way.:D :eek:

Really, everything I brought back home smelled VERY HEAVILY of campfire smoke. I think next time I will wear a seperate jacket around the fire and store my dirty clothes way away from clean.

Ironhandjohn
November 04, 2006, 13:00
A 'campfire smoking jacket'????

Funny stuff!!

I'm an OTR truck driver, and as many know some of my brethren can be somewhat challenged in the hygeine dept.( I tried to spell hygeinically, or whatever, but gave up..). When I started driving I was in my early 20's and didn't care how I smelled, as I was a flatbedder and I was filthy all the time anyway.

Now that I'm older and my sense of smell has returned with a vengeance since I quit smoking, smelling good, or at least not stinking, is important to me. I keep non-scented baby wipes in the truck to wipe down the 'smelly spots'. They aren't a soak in a Japanese sauna or anything like that, but they're better than nothing.

A friend of mine who drives told me that keeping the wipes in a big ziploc bag with a half bottle of rubbing alcohol helps the wipes clean better.I tried this once, but fresh alcohol being wiped around a 'certain area' once convinced me that my friend has a weird 'burning butthole' fetish!! YIKES!!!:biggrin: