PDA

View Full Version : Good inexpensive Elk hunt close to MI

rotty
September 03, 2006, 19:36
Anyone have any good information on hunting elk on public land, or private land, non-guided or maybe a member here would guide...Im looking for something close to MI (time limitations) and inexpensive (money limitations) for 4-5 guys to hunt elk or muleys...or caribou or moose even.....

Da Nerd
September 03, 2006, 20:25
You wont find Caribou (that I know of) closer than Alasks or Northern Canada.
You might find a Moose in the Maine area, but not elk or muleys.
You best bet is some western state (Like Colorado) where you can find elk and muleys. Best start your planning NOW, as license go on sale about early summer. Lots of public land and some private also. Lots of elk and enough deer to go around.

whirlibird
September 03, 2006, 22:00
There's no such thing as a cheap out of state license in COLORADO. Fair warning.
It's over $500 just for the tag.
Not that we don't need some of the critters shot, they're considering shooting some in Rocky Mtn Natl Park, there's that many. :uhoh:

And they're probably not gonna let the hunters take 'em. Wasted.

If you can spring for the tag, there's a lot of public land available. Good luck.
I'd recommend another state despite my wish for extra hunters to push the Elk around a bit.

rotty
September 04, 2006, 06:09
ok, what other states, right now were looking at montana, wyoming, or colorado, maybe even idaho.......? any links to good spots?

wildwilly
September 07, 2006, 16:59
Wyoming Reduced cow/calf tags. Apply as party in January well before deadline. There was some area 79 tags left a few weeks ago. I forget what the price is. Look up Wyoming Game and Fish on internet. check prices and lookup the Jackson Regional office and give them a call. If you look real hard there is an 800 number which I don;t remember either. Thanksgiving is a good time to aim for but be ready for snow ice mud and mountain weather. And lots of us old guys driving up and down the roads.

rotty
September 07, 2006, 20:16
Due to time constraints I would like something closer, but am open to almost anything, I'm looking at only 9 days for the trip total, including driving time......

splattermatic
September 07, 2006, 21:31
try pa., they opened hunting for elk a few years ago.
kinda pricey for a tag if ya get drawn, but close, and guides available.

rochte
September 14, 2006, 08:18
How about entering the Elk tag drawing in Michigan ($4 fee to enter, $100 for the license, IIRC)?

BigSwede
October 09, 2006, 13:07
Heck, Minnesota has moose hunting... I know there are a few elk in NW MN too. Not sure if they allow any elk hunting yet though, they are trying to grow the herd.

Para Driver
October 09, 2006, 14:52
driving is gonna burn you up, MI to Colorado is a very hard 2 days, maybe 3.. you are realistically limited to East of the Missisippi if you don't fly....