PDA

View Full Version : Front trunnion hole into barrel. Safe?

zardozwildman
August 28, 2006, 13:47
I have several AK kits. When removing the rivets from one kit, I discovered that one of the holes in the front trunnion has been drilled all the way into the barrel. The hole goes all the way into the chamber.

Checking to see if this is safe for a screw build. I was going to build it with grade 8 bolts in the front trunnion. I thought the heat and pressure in the chamber might cause problems. Also thought about filling the hole with silver solder, but that might not hold up to the heat/pressure either.

The_weasel
August 28, 2006, 17:24
If the hole was actually drilled through the barrel and into the chamber - I would not shoot this. What type of AK parts kit is this? Centerfire systems has complete Romanian front ends (with trunion) for $59.97. I built an AMD kit where I drilled SLIGHTLY into the barrel during the demil, I MIG welded the hole back up and around 1000 rounds later have not had a problem with it but if it went all the way through, into the chamber I would not use this barrel.

Here is the link to the Romanian barrels:
Centerfire Romanian barrel (http://www.centerfiresystems.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=75)

W.E.G.
August 28, 2006, 17:31
Originally posted by zardozwildman
...The hole goes all the way into the chamber.

not safe at any speed.

gunsmith_tony
August 28, 2006, 22:20
Tomato stake

English Mike
August 29, 2006, 15:44
Well, if you repeat the same mistake a few times........

Para Driver
August 29, 2006, 16:40
blowing your eye out is well worth it compared to a $59 barrel...