PDA

View Full Version : OK, but can she retrieve it?

Bwana John
August 27, 2006, 16:01
My little white lab "Chukar" is a crazy pup, and last year her first season bird hunting basicly involved me screaming one long string of cuss words, as she ran ape-shit crazy all over the field.
This year she has matured, and while I not holding my breath for a perfect bird dog, she is showing quite an aptitude for Big Game.
The elk are migrating thru the back yard, and they irratate her to no end. She has found she cant push them around, so instead she has these stare downs untill she bores of it, then turns around with distain, pees, and scratches in the direction of the elk.

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1909/aaavu4.th.jpg (http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=aaavu4.jpg)

(You can get a better quality image by clicking on the thumbnail)

PowderDriver
August 27, 2006, 16:07
THAT is your backyard!?

Bwana John
August 27, 2006, 16:14
Yep, took the picture out the back door of the trailer. All the way at the end of the dirt road surrounded by National Forest and AZ State Trust Land. No domestic water hook up:uhoh: , but its in a nice location.

Seeing as I drew a cow elk tag this year I am guessing Im going to see a lot of bulls this season.

PowderDriver
August 27, 2006, 16:17
Originally posted by Bwana John
Yep, took the picture out the back door of the trailer. All the way at the end of the dirt road surrounded by National Forest and AZ State Trust Land. No domestic water hook up:uhoh: , but its in a nice location.

Seeing as I drew a cow elk tag this year I am guessing Im going to see a lot of bulls this season.

ahhh, ok!

That is cool picture, thanks for sharing!

Bentley8
August 27, 2006, 22:24
I love it, her hackles are up and everything. She means business!

Good lean lines on her. What is she, about 2 or 3? She might turn into a good bird dog, yet.

Bwana John
August 28, 2006, 08:39
Chuck just turned 2, and I am hopeing this will be her season to shine. She has ALOT more energy than my last two labs, and can be kind of boneheaded at times.

I am thinking about bringing her with me to harvest my cow elk. I used to work with an old cowboy who had a Chesapeke Bay Retriever who after 3 deer seasons had learned to go on point for deer, then on command flush the deer out of the brush, then try to drag the deer back after being shot.

Para Driver
August 28, 2006, 09:25
my lab Kaesi was the same way, ran all over the place with no control whatsoever. then one day she figured out I couldn't kill the birds 1/4 mile away and then she set her own radius of 25-30 yards..

mine have settled down when they turned 3, not much before that..

I miss that dog.. a lot...

wysk88
August 31, 2006, 03:59
Great photo. Work with her often and she will become a good bird dog. They love to hunt.