PDA

View Full Version : Game Camera?

ProGun1
August 23, 2006, 19:22
Hello all,
I'd like to see what's stomping around where I'd like to hunt this fall. Any recommendations on purchasing a digital game camera for under $100? Thank you.

Sig220
August 23, 2006, 19:34
I was talking to a guy the other day about these.....he had used quite a few and offered this bit of advice:

1. Get one with the biggest flash(physical) possible for night shots.......he said the advertised range was not consistant, but the ones with the bigger flash would have the best range.

2. If you have a computer....laptop preferable, digital was the way to go......just download and view....he said most digitals with viewers built in don't have very clear screens.

3. Find one that uses common batterys....as some can be camera hogs. You could spend a fortune with odd size batterys.

Basically, he liked those digitals with high quality phots, big flashes that ran on common 6 volt batterys, without a pic viewer. He said to shop and look as you can find one very affordable that meets that criteria.

Now, I have not pulled the trigger on one of these yet....as other things had priorty, but did find some that met the bill at Academy and I am sure you can find the same at SG and elsewhere.

rwwje
August 27, 2006, 16:21
Wal-Mart has 2.1 magapixel digital (duh) trail cameras (full color) for $96.98 plus tax. Takes SD memory cards (256 Meg max, I think). I have a 1.3 magapixel (the predecessor to the current 2.1) that works great. Buy two 128 or 256 meg SD memory cards and two rechargeable 6V batteries. Set camera on "high" quality, one minute delay (can even go with 3 picture sequence with 15 second interval for each event) if you can/will exchange batteries and memory cards every weekend or even every other weekend. You can get several hundred pics on a 128 meg card. These 1.3 or 2.1 megapixel trail cameras are very good - you don't need to spend $300 to $500 for the 3, 4, and 5 megapixel trail cameras.

On Friday, August 18, 2006, at 8:51 a.m., trail camera at my feeder recorded a mountain lion going after two bucks at the feeder. The feeder is about one half mile west of the Crystal Falls Golf Course and Grand Mesa Five subdivision in Leander, Texas (central Texas, Austin Metro area). The lion was not sucessful; the same deer were back at the feeder at 9:00 a.m. the the next morning.

I've got hundreds of pics of deer, hogs, turkey, and coons at this feeder since January plus the one lion pic. You'll need a digital camera with USB cable that takes SD cards or a SD card reader to download the pics onto your computer. A trail camera is a ton of fun.