PDA

View Full Version : what to bring elk hunting

splattermatic
August 18, 2006, 08:12
or what we found to work and what didnt...

a good pair of bino's of at least 10x40's....
as light of rifle as possible, but most importantly , one that carrie's well, no huge scopes.
range finder
gps
well broke in boots that fit perfectly
comfortable socks
waterproof clothing
layer type clothes
orange hat of your choice
orange vest (both of these because colorado requires them and a certain surface amount.
all clothing must fit properly i tried bibs but too baggie
belts and or suspenders.
gloves
smallish back pack and a large one if need to pack out an animal
small should be able to fit under your orange vest, but big enough to carry needed items
good knife with small sharpening steel, to resharped if quartering is needed

small pack should be narrow enough to sling rifle over shoulder with out it making the rifle slide or fall off, but large enough to put stripped off clothes in. it's cold in the am and may warm up, and you'd need to strip off some.

needed items in pack:
poncho
headlight, no flash lights, as you need both hands for climbing if needed thru the brush. one that lasts a long time, bring extra batteries too.
toilet paper.
rubber gloves
small piece of strong rope
knife and acc's
hydration bladder, water is REAL important, make sure the smell and taste is cleaned out.
mine wouldn't come clean and tasted and smelled like rubber.
found my old one the other night, and am using that one, it's clean.
food stuff for lunch and an mre for emergencies or for your lunch.
candy
extra whatever you'd ike to eat...
2 extra lighters.
2 packs of extra smokes, besides the one your smoking on.
gps
the binos should have the bra straps for better carrying mine are from crooked creek iirc.
my bipod and shooting sticks
enough for now...

i'll let the rest of you think and post what your thinking

Sig220
August 18, 2006, 08:27
Hmm, good start list Splatt.

Some of those things I had thought of and some will not work on my present course......time for some course correction.

What do ya'll use for communications? I know the GMRS radios are nice, but limited range in the hills. I have a set of the 14 mile version......any use there?

Any ideas on the headlight......my only headlights are the 6 volt version....old fashioned and probably too bright. Batterys are a tad on the heavy side, as well!

Para Driver
August 18, 2006, 09:09
a few small items in one of the survival packs, incase of injury or sudden storm. These are all very small items:
waterproof matches
signal mirror
emergency blanket (very thin sheet of plastic/mylar)
protein bars/candy bars
small bandage and antiseptic kit
wrist compass (REI sells them)
water purification tablets
48 hours of personal meds if needed
mini mag-lite

don't forget to use electrical tape on the muzzles, so that if it rains or snows while you are out, it will not collect in the barrel and possibly freeze and obstruct.

mhg
August 18, 2006, 13:54
just some thoughts

Water and hydration packs. I'm going thru 3l a day. I would not skimp here.

We are using mountain house freeze dried, power bars and a product called Zip Fizz. Zip Fizz is a powder you add to water thats makes an energy drink. I would not add it to a hydration pack as I will be nearly impossible to clean out.

I would reccommend everyone carry rope and at least one caribeaner. The beaner can be used to make purchases and fairleads.

One guy should have a bonesaw or hatchet. I'm a hatchet guy.

Quality knife/ stone

Heavy garbage bag

Simple rifle cleaning kit, I use the little pouch with the cable and all the little trinkets inside.

Spare sunglasses

Sunscreen and bug repellent. skeeters and flys have been bad this year. 100% deet or the 3m stuff thats supplied to the military. the bug stuff and sunscreen smells so only use it if you have to.

Spare set of car keys with hunting partner.

good glass and rangefinder. i use the little Leupold 8x.

Good LED headlamp.

Spare license and tags. Wa will issue duplicates.

Simple basic first aid kits, We also carry a elaborate kit for really remote areas.

We are using the Garmin Rhino 120's. It is a GPS/ radio. there are 4 of us using these and they have been great. We also have the Topo map program loaded into a laptop at camp, for waypoint and track downloads and sharing.

Flask

Layered clothing

gloves

Thats about all i can think of for now... hope this helps

Matt

'TUDE
August 18, 2006, 20:21
I'm bringing the following in addition to what has been mentioned:

1. Two "K" Oxygen cylinders holding 145 liters. Two nasal cannulas and a regulator.
Y'all think I might be crazy, but I have heard too many stories of altitude sickness occuring in even the most fit individuals and ruining a hunting trip. These will be at base camp to be used as needed.

2. Polypro long johns, socks, glove liners.

3. A BIG, HUGE, HONKING handgun for those "gentle' bears Splat keeps telling me about. I don't care if they are not Kodiac or Grizzly or Panda or Winnie Da Pooh. A see a bar, he best be heading in the opposite direction. Mountain Lion don't bother as much, but a bar, well....

4. TEA !!! Some folks need coffee, some need a soda pop. I get the shakes without my tea.

5. Mini-bungee cords. Everyone I talk to tells me to take these to secure and custom fit a backpack in place if traversing rough mountain terrain.

6. A list of emergency contact numbers. That way if a bar does sneek up on my butt, y'all know who to call.

7. Duct tape and plenty of it. Might need to restrain a bar or two.

:biggrin: :eek:

armed1
August 18, 2006, 21:11
Great list from splat.

One comment, IMHO, I wouldn't go out and spend a ton on waterproof clothing or shoes. If it rains or snows, you're going to get wet whether your clothes are waterproof or not because the water is going to run down your neck, up your sleeves, down your waist, etc. In my experience, I think the best material for outdoor survival is fleece. Start with a bottom layer of microfleece like Helly Hanson under armor, then carry 2 or 3 layers of thicker fleece to go on top of that. AS a top layer, use a hooded windbreaker and windbreaker pants. Dont wear cotton! Fleece is extremely lightweight, compactable, and cheap, and it dries quickly. If you get wet, the fleece will keep a warm layer of water against your body, like a wetsuit. You just have to keep the wind off yourself to remain warm. Wool is another alternative, but it is itchy and quite expensive.

For feet, the most important factors are comfort, traction, and ankle support. I recommend packing a pair a neoprene SCUBA socks. If your feet get wet, put these on and they will keep them warm.

I also carry in a little box:

Waterproof matches
film canister with vaseline-soaked cotton balls (great firestarter)
small LED light
packet of aspirin
water purification tablets
band aids
antiseptic wipes
sunscreen wipes
1 large ABD dressing (or a maxi pad)
1 large triangle bandage (or a clean bandana)
some safety pins
small mirror for signalling aircraft
keychain size knife sharpener
"loop" saw/ "commando" saw for cutting small branches

Da Nerd
August 18, 2006, 21:17
I read a book long long ago that sounded just like you guys and what to carry.
So, first day of hunting season I left WELL prepared.
Second day I left EVERTHING at camp except, the rifle/scope with 5 rds ammo, a good sharp knife, and a sandwich.
Much better hunting.

the gman
August 18, 2006, 23:40
Originally posted by Da Nerd
I read a book long long ago that sounded just like you guys and what to carry.
So, first day of hunting season I left WELL prepared.
Second day I left EVERTHING at camp except, the rifle/scope with 5 rds ammo, a good sharp knife, and a sandwich.
Much better hunting.

Yep, know where you are coming from with that, BT,DT! Water is a required item tho'. Ya get awful sweaty on the hike in & when the sun comes up ya sweat even more.

'Tude, forget the handgun mate, I strapped on my lightweight Taurus Titanium .44 Mag last year (it's that light that 6 rounds of Cor-Bon 260 grain ammo weighs more than the gun, well, almost!) & it got to be a PITA after about 10 minutes. You'll be carrying a big enough rifle to kill a bear....well, unless you're ME of course, 5 rnds of 180gr Barnes Triple Shocks & I STILL lose him.:cry: Now I get to contradict myself cuz when I was looking in the thick brush for the bear, that .44 would have been a LOT handier than my .300 Win Mag...

This year I should have a nice .499 LW AR carbine, 350 gr .50 cal bullet at 2100 fps as fast as I can pull the trigger so the bear or elk are gonna GET it.....;) :biggrin:

the gman
August 18, 2006, 23:50
Originally posted by armed1
Great list from splat.

One comment, IMHO, I wouldn't go out and spend a ton on waterproof clothing or shoes. If it rains or snows, you're going to get wet whether your clothes are waterproof or not because the water is going to run down your neck, up your sleeves, down your waist, etc. In my experience, I think the best material for outdoor survival is fleece. Start with a bottom layer of microfleece like Helly Hanson under armor, then carry 2 or 3 layers of thicker fleece to go on top of that. AS a top layer, use a hooded windbreaker and windbreaker pants. Dont wear cotton! Fleece is extremely lightweight, compactable, and cheap, and it dries quickly. If you get wet, the fleece will keep a warm layer of water against your body, like a wetsuit. You just have to keep the wind off yourself to remain warm. Wool is another alternative, but it is itchy and quite expensive.

I have to disagree on the waterproof clothing & footwear. Bearing in mind I used to live in the UK & spent a LOT of time on rural foot patrols in Northern Ireland (both countries are famous for lots of rain, NI more than the mainland) there is NOTHING worse than getting wet first thing in the morning & staying that way all day. Miserable & unhappy, why do you think I moved to NM??

I have worn more alledgedly waterproof clothing than most folks will see in a lifetime & without a doubt, Goretex is the way to go. I have a nice packable set of jkt & pants that when stuck in their bags are about the size of a large fist. They work, period. All my boots are Danners & whilst after about 6 to 8 hours of torrential downpour or tromping thru marshland they WILL get wet, up to that point they are very good at keeping your feet dry.

YMMV but I've been wet & cold too many times to not spend more on my wet weather gear than most folks would.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
August 19, 2006, 00:53
Claymores. Don't forget the claymores.

Andy the Aussie
August 19, 2006, 01:01
Water proof is not so much of an issue here as the UK (but it can be). You can never have a good enough pair of boots.....!!! I have Danner and Bates, both good boots and I would be happy to set out of the longest journey in either. I have both US and Brit Gortex waterproofs (while there is that big hole in the top for your head they are never truly water proof) and both do their intended function.....if I know I am going to be out in bad weather I take the US but if it is for "in case" purposes the Brit is a little lighter/simpler.

And for you boys "camping" the gman/splattermatic style.....don't forget the bubble bath for the jaccuzi and the massage oil.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Andy:devil: :beer:

whirlibird
August 19, 2006, 13:09
ADVIL! Bring lots of Advil. Our camp goes through a bottle a season.
I also like to bring a bottle or two of Excedrin, it helps more than any other pain medication I've found for elevation problems, it's the aspirin and caffeine in it.

Extra toilet paper.
Immodium.
Baby wipes. Not just for butt wipin', but impromptu showers and cleanup.

Almost my entire party carries handguns, however I'm the only one who actually takes any critters with one (I practice), I bring a box or so of SWC's for grouse, rabbits and finishing shots. I carry heavy SWC's in the sidearm in case I decide to go without a longgun for a day and decide to take a critter.

DYNOMIKE
August 19, 2006, 14:57
I think Mebe SIG, & TUDE should bring~

An ELK!! :devil:

splattermatic
August 19, 2006, 20:44
as for the compass, i always have one on me !:D

mhg
August 19, 2006, 20:50
Originally posted by Faltitude

3. A BIG, HUGE, HONKING handgun for those "gentle' bears Splat keeps telling me about. I don't care if they are not Kodiac or Grizzly or Panda or Winnie Da Pooh. A see a bar, he best be heading in the opposite direction. Mountain Lion don't bother as much, but a bar, well....

6. A list of emergency contact numbers. That way if a bar does sneek up on my butt, y'all know who to call.

7. Duct tape and plenty of it. Might need to restrain a bar or two.

:biggrin: :eek:

Don't forget doughnuts

Matt

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 11:28
there are a lot of good suggestions here, but, we aren't going to be hunting in wilderness conditions.
at best we'll be just a few miles from the vehicles, and as long as one goes down mountain, you'll run into the highway.
plus between us, we will have enough radio's for everyone, so communication will be no problem.

i am just trying to put together, what we found that works for us, where we hunt.

so we have the most important thing covered...
a proper caliber rifle, sighted in approx 2.5 to 3 inches high at 100 yards.
a quality scope.
maybe a backup gun, in case something should happen to the main gun.
i will bring along several extra's to include:

remington model 700 adl 30-06 w/ a leupold straight 6x and 180 gr. winchester cxp3 silver tips.

winchester model 70 classic laminated 300 wsm w/ a leupold 3.5-10x40 and 150 gr barnes triple shock handloads. (proven).

remington model 700 classic 8mm remington mag w/ a leupold 4-12x40 and 220 gr. sierra handloads. (proven) it also has a muzzle brake !

ruger model 77 stainless 338 win. mag w/ a leupold 3-9x40 and pmc eldorado 225 gr. barnes xlc's.

plus i am going to be using my new bling bling 300 wsm.

the factory ammo listed guns, are ones that i plan on using for travel guns, and just in case my ammo doesn't make it, i can buy the same ammo just about anywhere. i found the listed ammo to shoot great in these guns.

btw, if using handloads, check every single round for proper feeding, as in load em in the mag, and chamber and eject every single one, it would suck to find out one is out of spec, and get's stuck or the bolt wont close on it at the wrong time.

so guns are not an issue.

clothes:
layers....
get moisture wicking ..
i use cabela's thermax, i have several different weights..the expedition weight being the heaviest.
socks included, as a first pair on, then a wool blend poly/thermax, for warmth and padding.
remington also make and sells in walmart, some real nice black long johns, i tried some last year and like them.
get fleece tops, as this is where the most sweating takes place, as it's under the over garments, color doesn't matter.
i got several from sam's over the years i think the name is "izod", and they are nice.
now not knowing the weather yet, it could be like last year and warm or maybe butthole deep in snow...??
bring several types of over garments.
i have a pair of "walls" goretex insulated bibs, super heavy for sitting in tree stands. used them a few times in pa., for deer season and wanted nothing more, warm, dry, comfortably warm.
the parka i have came from "game hide", it's there extreme weather, quad parka, w/ removeable insulated inner jacket. again, worn in pa. for tree stand sitting, and i kept warm and dry.
my sitting/cold weather boots, are rocky snow stalker extreme's, again tested in pa., and feet stayed toasty, but i also have extra insoles, for the chem pads to be inserted under the toe area, they work and my toes never got cold.

i also have a "game hide" jacket, goretex and lightly insulated for medium tempt's. roomy and comfortable with a hood, that doesn't fall down over your face.

for warmer cool tempt's i use a fleece cabela's pull over 3/4 zipper jacket w/ hood, and a dry plus membrane. on top of fleece layers, i stay dry from both sides...!!

pants:

any will do, jeans in dry weather are okay, but i have a few pair of goretex camo jean cut ones.
also walmart sell a fleece type clothing line, that are nice too.

i keep saying goretex.... guys, i work outside in the oil field and by all my past pics over the years you all know i am out in all kinds of weather..
goretex works... period....

i also have a military surplus jacket and pants, and wore them yesterday in the rain fishing....i stayed bone dry under them,, even at 45 mph cruising down the lake...could see too well to go faster due to the rain smacking me in the face..

plus this stuff is wind proof, something that will save your body heat.....

i have extra's and wear a 2xl or xl top depending on the cut..
and large bottoms...
so don't go out and buy alot of this stuff as i can help with my extra's...

the packs i use are one that i got from walmart , it's a fieldline brand, with internal pocket for a hydration bladder.
this is my day pack to bring the days stuff with me...
a waist belt is needed to stop it from rolling around you when climbing thru the oak brush and such.
i also have an internal framed backpackers type pack, it's narrow and long, i stress narrow as if it's too wide like my pf90 or whatever it's called military long range pack, a slung rifle will not tuck nice off to the side, and you'll be forced to carry it in your hands. and that sucks....i found that out last year.

on my guns i have the butler creek stretch slings, they cling good to the shoulder and soften the bounce of the rifle.

all you need to pack for the day is :
a small poncho, in case of sitting and it rains or snows, as an added barrier.
a good knife, and sharpener.
george and chip both have bone saws for splitting the pelvis bone.
if we put one down where we have to cut it into piece's, i'll show you how to quarter it up without gutting, or much skinning.
water...
lunch, go light in weight, it's amazing how much a sandwich weights.
we took mre's and they worked great.
candy for energy, snicker's, peanut butter crackers, hard candy for sucking on...

headlight's

DO NOT buy one that take triple a (AAA) batteries, odd size and they don't last long.
petzle (?) makes great ones, and last for hours, if we put an elk down near dark, gutting and the walk out are going to be in the dark, and funmbling with a rifle and moving brush out of the way, leaves no hands free for a flashlight.
i do bring a minimag with the upgraded led blue bulbs.
chip got a free headlight with a badlands pack he bought last year, he had to change batteries on the way up the mountain, and it died before we got the truck...junk...it used AAA batteries in a cylinder type holder, and it was a bear to change em in the dark with me holding my light on him.

gps, life saver, used it to find the truck last year, this year is different as we kinda know where we are going, we made it harder on our selves last year by not knowing the area, being our first time hunting there..
anyways, get one or borrow one, log in camp first thing, then when we park the vehicles, or if dropped off, log in that spot....it WILL get you back to one of these places....

boot's in general...
i have a new pair this year....
cabela's elk hunter boots, made by danner... they are the 400 gram insulated lower iirc 8" high model..
great so far, been wearing them at work for a few weeks, and notice no heel slip, or nothing really uncmfortable about them,, they are broke in now and put up so i dont wear em out too soon..

gloves..
plain cotton light weight one for the cool mornings, but is snow, waterproof insulated ones, my cold weather ones, are actually mitten/gloves...
the mitten part flip off the fingers and over the back of the hand and vlecro's down and exposes my fingers with half finger gloves...a hand warmer if need can be put inside when closed up to help keep the fingers warm...

hats..
i wear a baseball cap most of the time, i also have a tossle cap/watch cap/knitted cap..
whatever you wanna call em...

2 weights, thin for 99 cents at walmart and a heavy one...
make sure they are orange, as you must wear an orange head covering in colorado..

sunglasses were mentioned, if i am lucky i'll find the 2 pair i lost in the brush last year....i wear sunglass's all year out here, i bring lots of them.
polarized one's cut the glare, that's all i buy..
know when you have papers or ? laying on the dash and see the reflection off the winshield and it seems to block your view, they cut the glare and you do not seem the reflection...
out in the field, they cut the glare off the snow...

as for everything else around camp.....
it's covered, we'll have 2 campers, and a generator, a hot tub, and other homely items....

food.............................................. ...........................

be here by wednesday morning.......................period as we have preps to make...
my wife will see you in as i will be working...........
when i get home i expect you all to have my living room looking like a bomb went off in here, with all your gear sorted and packed...
our vehicle's will be our closets...so keep hunting gear clothes, seperate from camp wear, and undies and such....cept george, he dont wear none....!!!
just had to do that buddie...
this will save digging time at camp...

when i get home, we all will go the range for checking sight in as there is really no place or time to do it in camp..

when i get home, we need to load the caper, with propane bottles, fill the holding tank, and load whatever we don't wanna haul up there friday morning...

thursday.............
i leave for work with my camper in tow...
when i get off work i will go spot the trailer up there and leave it for the night..
it will also reserve our spot hopefully....
thursday...............

make yourselves at home....my home is your home.......
i live on a short dead end street...slightly up hill from a small city park 5 houses down with a paved walk way around the outside of it....

go for a walk, and walk again....
get used to the altitude as best you can......
go for a drive, go to farmington to walmart, the gun (pawn) shops,, whatever....

when i get home we are all going to meet, and go grocery shopping...

meals...
who wants what...
the way i look at it, we go aisle by aisle, and whatever anyone wants, throw it in the basket, remember we need enough food and such for 9 days.....
soda and bottled water will be bought already.....it's all covered..
when we get to check out, we spilt it 6 ways evenly.....
no matter if so and so got this or that,, we may wanna try what so and so got, and he may want some of what you got,,,,
this way there is no bitching or complaining...

booze, your on your own,,, i don't drink, so it's not an issue for me...

we get home and pack it all up, i have several coolers, so thursday i will fill them at work..
after that we pack vehicles, gas up, load fire wood, pallets, and everything else we want to take...

friday...........

departure day..........
go to durango.....
get any license's we need to get yet....

bear tag..250 bucks.........we know what we are going to do..........

any last minute shopping or ???

head to hunting grounds ......
on the way up we are going to stop at the corral's and walk in to look around...
english mike, it's an easy walk in, and a great view.....
'tude if you wanna hunt there....
it's also not so high in altitude......it's give us a chance to breathe a bit, before going higher...

then up to camp...

we get georges 5th wheel set, unload and make camp ready..quickly...
everyone must pitch in to help.........

then we go down the road to cardiac hill.............chip is scouting it out this weekend, to get an idea where to put everyone with out disturbing all creation, and scenting up the area....
we select spots, and get an idea of what were doing.....
back to camp and prep for ...........

SATURDAY !!!!

up at 4am ............
get dressed loaded up, and move out............

climb in the dark and get settled, and wait for daylight and animals...
if some of you are hunting together as george and i most likey will...
one shoots the lead cow first.... the others will get confused and not move off far as the leader is not leading... easy pickins on another while milling around....
2 tags filled.....and the camp bitches til more join them.......

so what else can i add ???

suggestions ? comments ? concerns ?

'TUDE
August 20, 2006, 13:09
I'm all set except for a few pieces of clothing, a scope, hydration pack and a bino harness.
I still need to get my "new" rifle home, scoped, sighted in and dialed in.
I will be bringing a back-up rifle too.

Now, don't discount me too much. I may be out of shape but not that bad. I'm shedding weight everyday, cutting back smoking, and feeling better than I have in a long time. It wasn't 5 years ago that I stayed on the face of a cliff 14 hours+ a day for 30 days a year. This being all free-hand, without rigging. I've also found that I acclimate very quickly to altitude in the past when on ski trips.

I'll sit at kiddy camp waiting for the occasional animal that gets spooked my way for the first day but I ain't gonna be happy after that . :biggrin:

Sig220
August 20, 2006, 14:00
Whooot...........whooot............getting closer all the time!!

My preps are moving along....have to pull the trigger on the boots pretty quick and a few odds and ends. But the Remy is doing well and that was a big chunk of the worry!!

As for as the food plan goes.......sounds good the only comment being we may want to split our supplys into two, though. Load up with 4-5 days of supplys and then go into town and get the other days later. With all this stuff, you think we will have to sleep outside??:rofl:

BTW, as for as bedding would it be easiest to bring a sleeping bag/bed roll for the bunks??

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 14:17
it's up to you..
i have sheets, comforters, pillows, etc...
but,
the down comforters are MINE !!

and 'tude, it ain't kiddie camp, that's where we heard the ahwooooo coming from the hill..
not a coyote yip yip...
and 5 cows 2 days in a row...

if you dont want the spot, i'll go there and save the huffing and puffing...

oh, and whatcha get for a new rifle.. ??

the 7mm ??

'TUDE
August 20, 2006, 14:38
Originally posted by splattermatic

if you dont want the spot, i'll go there and save the huffing and puffing...

oh, and whatcha get for a new rifle.. ??

the 7mm ??
Awe now, I'll take what I can get.
No, the Remington 700 SPS in .300 WSM like Siggy's. Just need to get it out of layaway. Did some subcontracting and will get paid on Monday (hopefully) so I can get it out. I will need to find a good piece of glass and a bipod for it though.
Been shopping.

What would you recommend for a scope?

WiFAL
August 20, 2006, 14:58
Hydrogen Peroxide, Neosporan and some alcohol wipes. I nicked my finger cleaning a deer two years ago; got a nasty infection in less than 24 hrs. Since then I carry the above all the time. No sense blowing a hunt for a little cut. One of the guys in caribou camp last year sliced his finger open on of all things a Remington 700 action. This stuff came in real handy. It doesn't take much space or add much weight butu it's great to have in the booneys.

FWIW - I put a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest on my 300 Ultra Mag for the following reasons:
1. I wanted a lifetime scope in a power range that was transferable to rifles of different calibers.
2. The Conquest appeared to have better glass than a comparable Leupold.
3. The Conquest has a long eye relief (4") that is constant unlike other variable power scopes.
4. The Conquest has a rubber coated European ocular instead of a metal ocular w/ locking ring.

I bought this scope for a trip to Canada and didn't want any failures once I was there. I usually buy middle of the road scopes. Had one lose its internal gaskets or some such thing just last week attached to a Marlin 44 mag. Not much consequence when hunting locally but don't want to blow the hunt of a lifetime.

MikeC
August 20, 2006, 15:08
Originally posted by mhg
Water and hydration packs. I'm going thru 3l a day. I would not skimp here.
CamelBak makes 100oz bladders and hydration packs. Good solid brand.

Originally posted by Faltitude
1. Two "K" Oxygen cylinders holding 145 liters.
Check the state laws, some places require a prescription for O2. They consider it a drug... Yes, the SCUBA divers who use the stuff also think that is foolish.

'TUDE
August 20, 2006, 15:35
Originally posted by MikeC

Check the state laws, some places require a prescription for O2. They consider it a drug... Yes, the SCUBA divers who use the stuff also think that is foolish.
Will have script in hand. I have dozens of various sizes gas O2 cylinders at work as well as liquid oxygen on hand. :shades:

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 17:11
i've got a complete first aid kit, to icluded needle and thread to stitch someone up !!
and if neccesary, a table to lay em down on and do minor surgery with a razor blade !!
need your apendix out, no problem, i'll get that little bugger !!
whiskey works great for all kinds of things, from disinfectant to anestesia...

no worries, a hospital is close by in durango, bout an hours drive if we drive the speed limit.

tude , shop ebay for a leupold or zeiss...
matter of fact, i think i am going there and look around...
never know what i may find...
zeiss 3.5 - 10 maybe..
love the 6.5-20 i have already..and i do need another scope...and... and..

my wife may not be happy after she get back from albq tonight..

Andy the Aussie
August 20, 2006, 17:24
shop ebay for a leupold or zeiss...
matter of fact, i think i am going there and look around...
never know what i may find...
zeiss 3.5 - 10 maybe..
love the 6.5-20 i have already..and i do need another scope...and... and..

my wife may not be happy after she get back from albq tonight.. .......OY......you lot....get away from the Leupys on e-bay.....I am just there myself and need no more competition...!!!!:eek: :eek: I didn't realise there were so many people in the market for second hand (or cheap) 3.5-10 Leupolds. I have a 6.5-20 sitting in the safe but it is a little big for uses. It is just the ducks guts when trialing loads and such at the range.....20x makes little groups that much easier...:cool: :cool: :eek: :eek:

English Mike
August 20, 2006, 18:55
Pack some extra O2 for me - us bottom dwellers need all the help we can get;)

Mark:

How far is the "walk in" to where we're hunting?

Will a 6 LED headlight do the business? (AA size batteries - I have NiMh rechargeables & a US voltage charger)

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 19:02
yeah it'd be okay i think, we will have a genorator for power.

the walk is about a mile to an old blind on the tree line, see the pics from last year of where i have a side shot of george's rifle on shooting sticks and the face on the high wall..
that's the spot, we also heard what we think was a wolf howling..!! from the hill behind georges rifle.

it's a not so bad a grade..lemme see what googleearth can do for a pic.

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 19:09
here's one.. the blind is just about where the white line ends , it's a great spot for elk moving, notice all the natural funnels...

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 19:20
here is a good view showing the funnels, if people are coming down the mountain, they should run down the valleys and out accross the meadows.

it's a good spot to sit and watch, if you get tired of sitting, the trails are easy to walk also, going on down in 2 directions, just dont go down the one between the mountains, it's steep.....

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 19:22
another...

splattermatic
August 20, 2006, 19:23
another..

English Mike
August 20, 2006, 20:15
I'm gonna have to "upgrade" to XP purely in order to use Google Earth - Windows Live Local is Stoneage in comparison.

A mile or two is no problem: you wont have too far to carry my cooling remains.....:wink:

Andy the Aussie
August 20, 2006, 20:22
Mike....from what I hear....don't forget you bib'n brace overalls and banjo.....:uhoh: :uhoh: :beer: :beer:

splattermatic
August 22, 2006, 21:22
here ya go tude.....
check all these ones out..

English Mike
August 28, 2006, 18:19
I guess I'd better bring these along::biggrin:

Sig220
August 28, 2006, 19:03
Originally posted by ENGLISH MIKE
I guess I'd better bring these along::biggrin:

There ya go Mike!! For a couple of weeks, I was beginning to wonder how you were making out!!!

Now, if we can just get 'Tude in sync:wink:

'TUDE
August 28, 2006, 19:19
Something is working against me here.

Set myself up for the Gander Mountain hunter ed course again 2 weeks ago (because they keep cancelling). Called the instructor the day before (this past friday) to make sure I had all course materials needed and to find out just how long the class was. He asked for my name and told me quickly that I was not on the list! No explanation was good enough for him as being pre-registered.

Am working on another resource now.

But, I did come home with my "new to me" .300 WSM today. Went to Gander Mountain, asked for my money back for the rifle I had on lay-away and left that store for the last time. Three times they have either cancelled hunter ed courses or didn't pre-register me correctly.

Anyway, on the hunt for another class for this weekend, a scope, and few other small items. Hydration pack and GPS arrived today though. :D

splattermatic
August 28, 2006, 19:20
atta boy mikie !!!

that brings us to 5 .....
let's see if tude will get us to an even number..

:confused:

edited :
sokay tude, there is almost 200 cow tags left....

looks like none of us will be horn huntin this year.....unless ya wanna spring for the bull tag...

splattermatic
August 28, 2006, 21:16
mike,
we are all "verified" on our license's, so i am not sure what that means ???
bring along your brit license, just in case, as proof of hunter ed/previous/current license.

then if not valid, play "dumb limey" !! :uhoh:

Para Driver
August 29, 2006, 10:11
did someone remember to invite the ELK?

KEMOSABE
August 29, 2006, 13:25
Don't forget some rolling tobacco, and the papers, nothing like a hand rolled smoke around the campfire, and goes well with Jack Daniels. Oh yeah, don't forget the Jack, and a deck of cards. You might also stop in town and hire a woman to cook, just be sure she's ugly, hefty is not bad, they usually cook better and they can split wood. Make sure she's ugly enough to still be ugly at the end of the trip, or there will be all kinds of hell in camp. Just take my word for it.

Sig220
August 29, 2006, 19:59
There has been some discussion about using MRE's for our lunch each day. I have access to some MRE's and wanted each member going on the hunt to PM me with their choice of a "A" case or a "B" case. At least what I think are the menus.

Here are the menus:

01 - Beef Steak w/Mushroom Gravy
02 - Pork Rib
03 - Beef Ravioli
04 - Country Captain Chicken
05 - Grilled Chicken Breast
06 - Chicken/ Thai Sauce
07 - Chicken w/Salsa
08 - Beef Patty
09 - Beef Stew
10 - Chili w/Macaroni
11 - Pasta w/Vegetables
12 - Black Bean & Rice Burrito

B Case Menu

13 - Cheese Tortellini
14 - Manicotti w/Vegetables
15 - Beef Enchiladas
16 - Chicken w/Noodles
17 - Beef Teriyaki
18 - Turkey Breast Pot/Gravy
19 - Roast Beef
20 - Spaghetti w/Meat Sauce
21 - Chicken Tetrazzini
22 - Jambalaya
23 - Chicken w/Cavetelli
24 - Meatloaf w/Gravy

splattermatic
August 30, 2006, 07:24
we are crashing the elks party !
they'll be there we just gotta find the party spot !

case b sounds sucky ? not too experienced with these things, my army days were c rations..!!

oh yeah, this trip is coming together nicely !

were gonna have some fun, were gonna have some fun.............

Para Driver
August 30, 2006, 10:11
we are crashing the elks party !
they'll be there we just gotta find the party spot !

case b sounds sucky ? not too experienced with these things, my army days were c rations..!!

oh yeah, this trip is coming together nicely !

were gonna have some fun, were gonna have some fun.............

maybe next year?? I can dust off my 375 H&H...

larphred
August 30, 2006, 16:28
More TP than you think. One of my favorite stories is when my oldest son was a teenager he wanted to go with my brother and I. Well we took what we thought was enough TP for the morning hunt. My son got greedy and used it all up on his first dump. When the urge hit my bro, he came at my son with a knife and said, "lift your shirt". He proceeded to remove a good 6" band from the bottom of son's tee shirt. Returned from the trees with a big smile on his face and a healthy glow. Later, he got the urge again and again requisitioned another 6" of tee shirt from my son. Poor son returned lookin' like Brittney Spears (no middle to his shirt). Remember the TP.

armed1
September 08, 2006, 21:19
Hey Mike and Splat,

You guys are going to be in my neck of the woods. I'm up near Montrose. I'll be on the Uncompahgre Plateau second rifle. Good luck.

One thing I can tell you is we've had alot of rain this year and I think it has drawn the herds lower. The grass that is usually brown this year is now green again. I know these San Juan mountains well and I recommend you bring a good set of chains for your Jeep/vehicle as you are likely to encounter some serious mud.

Happy hunting, I'll try to chase some down by you.

idsubgun
September 09, 2006, 05:29
Pickup
Rifle
Half a dozen rounds
Knives
Money for breakfast after you bag your elk and are headed back down the mountain.

You guys planning on staying a year?

splattermatic
September 09, 2006, 07:05
no, just 10 full days.....
and it's not an easy drive home everyday.
so 2 campers, and all our gear..........

and lots of fun and laughs.

idsubgun
September 09, 2006, 07:13
no, just 10 full days.....
and it's not an easy drive home everyday.
so 2 campers, and all our gear..........

and lots of fun and laughs.

I'm 45 minutes from where I hunt. The fastest hunt I've had was leaving the house early one morning around 5:30 AM and diving up to an area I hunt but on the way, I saw a bunch standing on the hill to my right. Stopped the truck, shot an elk, backed the truck into the ditch and slid the elk, whole except for guts, into the back. There was snow on the ground about as deep as your knees and sliding the elk was extremely easy. Almost too easy as it got moving faster then I wanted and could barely stop it in time.
Stopped for breakfast on the way home and was back in my driveway by 12:30.

The hardest part of that was getting the elk out of the back and hung up to skin. Left the hide on until I got home as it was November and very cold.
And, I was using a muzzleloader. My old .54 Hawken. It's slain many elk in it's day!

You guys are going to have a blast! Be safe and have fun!!

Firestarter
September 10, 2006, 12:32
Damn! Sounds like a blast! Wish I could be there.

You Gents be carefull. And tear the shit out of some Elk!!! :biggrin:

We have elk here in Arkansas also. They have a limited hunt now that they have increased again in numbers. I believe it is a lottery type draw for tags.

Best wishes and enjoyed reading this thread!

Ted