PDA

View Full Version : Newport Oregon


sportsnut
August 12, 2006, 20:24
A few shots of my family at the coast this weekend.

My 5 y/o son and I
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8120026.jpg

My wife and son.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8120081.jpg

Our Hotel.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8120021.jpg

View to the south of hotel room.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8120009.jpg

To the north.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8120006.jpg

Andy the Aussie
August 12, 2006, 21:28
Thanks for the pics mate....you are making me look forward to the trip just a little more...!!!!!

Andy:beer:

sportsnut
August 12, 2006, 21:39
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
Thanks for the pics mate....you are making me look forward to the trip just a little more...!!!!!

Andy:beer:




Ah you bet Andy!
Friday evening i downed a "few":wink: Rogue Amber Ale's. and dedicated one for a safe trip for you and your wife.

calvinike
August 14, 2006, 11:30
sportsnut,

My wifes parents have a place in Lincoln City. The whole Oregon coast is phenomenal. We go down to Newport to get crabs and watch the sea lions.

Andy you will love it!

g5
August 14, 2006, 14:11
Oregon's coast is beautiful.

sportsnut
August 14, 2006, 15:02
Originally posted by calvinike
sportsnut,

My wifes parents have a place in Lincoln City. The whole Oregon coast is phenomenal. We go down to Newport to get crabs and watch the sea lions.

Andy you will love it!



Roger that!

I was born and raised in a town called Pistol River. It is between Gold Beach and Brookings on the Southern OR. coast.

Here is a shot from my parents front yard.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P4240022.jpg

Dation
August 14, 2006, 19:43
I love the Oregon coast. We have a week timeshare at the Sandpiper in Lincoln city and go every year. I hit the pawn shops (they call them 30 day buy back shops now) to see if they have any guns worth buying. This July I picked up a new Saiga 223 for $269 out the door.

Here is a picture of the outside from the beach. (note the receding sand wall :eek: )

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/dation/DSCN1194.jpg

A view from the balcony.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/dation/DSCN1077.jpg

Another view.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/dation/DSCN1070.jpg

sportsnut
August 15, 2006, 01:57
Sweet! I bet your wife loves the outlet malls in Lincoln City.

calvinike
August 15, 2006, 09:33
Great pic's. My wife and I just left 2 weeks ago. The blackberries were getting ripe and the clam chowder at Kylo's was still great.

sportsnut
August 15, 2006, 09:40
Originally posted by calvinike
Great pic's. My wife and I just left 2 weeks ago. The blackberries were getting ripe and the clam chowder at Kylo's was still great.




We just had the best clam chowder ever at Georgio's restraunt in Newport. It is located next to the Hallmark Resort off of Elizabeth street.:bow: :bow: :bow:

calvinike
August 15, 2006, 09:58
Sportsnut,
Any razor clams in your parents front yard?!

sportsnut
August 15, 2006, 11:13
Originally posted by calvinike
Sportsnut,
Any razor clams in your parents front yard?!





About a mile and a half to the North. Awesome digging there at Myeres Creek.

My son and i were down there two weeks ago and had clam fritters {Razor clam necks ground up and added to pancake batter} with butter and maple syrup for breakfast. For lunch we had BLT's with a lightly breaded Razor clam thrown into the mix. I guess you could cal the sandwich a BLTC. Bacon, lettuce, tomato, and clam.

fry
August 15, 2006, 16:59
Originally posted by sportsnut




Roger that!

I was born and raised in a town called Pistol River. It is between Gold Beach and Brookings on the Southern OR. coast.

Here is a shot from my parents front yard.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P4240022.jpg

i drove across the Pistol River yesterday, twice. and last week, twice. i wanted to stop yesterday and hike out to the bar as it was flooding, but it was a bit windy.

its hard to understand the beauty of the southern oregon coast if you have never been south of bandon.

go ducks

chromestarhustler
August 16, 2006, 03:55
everytime i see pics of the oregon and washington coast i think of lewis and clark . traveling from st louis threw indians and harsh winters and all that bs then getting to the coast and like wow it was all worth it. perhaps having a dinner on the cliffs overlooking a beautiful bay. would love to live up there but i doubt i would ever afford a place with a view that wonderful. well hell i live in kansas and i think the desert of new mexico and arizona i looking from the mountains is great and the northwest coast is the most stunning places of all, montana is nice too

fry
August 16, 2006, 04:13
every time i think of lewis and clark i think about how they stayed the winter with the clatsops instead of the chinooks. lol

that shot of the pistol river by sportsnut is very deceptive. the river is crystal blue and the river bed and bank is all beach sand. its quite unusual even for the oregon coast. once around the corner to the right (or north) there is a spit of beach that goes for at least 3/4 of a mile or mile before the river turns west again for a hundred yards and dumps into the sea right next to a large rock cape errr . its really neat.

Andy the Aussie
August 16, 2006, 04:22
Thanks for the extra pics guys. I have probably said it before but from what I have seen in the US in the past Western OR remains my favourite place....!!! My rantings (and pics from previous trips) about it are the reason Mrs Andy is making me taker here there next month.

Andy:bigangel:

sportsnut
August 16, 2006, 14:25
Originally posted by fry
every time i think of lewis and clark i think about how they stayed the winter with the clatsops instead of the chinooks. lol

that shot of the pistol river by sportsnut is very deceptive. the river is crystal blue and the river bed and bank is all beach sand. its quite unusual even for the oregon coast. once around the corner to the right (or north) there is a spit of beach that goes for at least 3/4 of a mile or mile before the river turns west again for a hundred yards and dumps into the sea right next to a large rock cape errr . its really neat.





Until about 7 years ago the Pistol River used to run straight out to the ocean from under the bridge. We had a lot of wind that year and it relocated tons and tons of sand where the original mouth was. So the river took the easy exit, and that was due north up to "Hunter Rock". Before i was born {1960} the river also used the route to Hunter Rock.

fry
August 16, 2006, 15:14
wow, cool. i did not know that. cant hardly beat a rippen storm at the coast, would have liked to check that out.

i have just recently been building panels for coos curry electric, last five years.

i spent all my summers growing up in garibaldi and surrounding area. i still have relatives in tillamook county and try to fish there once a year for fall chinook. i mostly run out of ilwaco now as a washington resident.

sportsnut
August 16, 2006, 15:58
Originally posted by fry
wow, cool. i did not know that. cant hardly beat a rippen storm at the coast, would have liked to check that out.

i have just recently been building panels for coos curry electric, last five years.

i spent all my summers growing up in garibaldi and surrounding area. i still have relatives in tillamook county and try to fish there once a year for fall chinook. i mostly run out of ilwaco now as a washington resident.




Next time you see the boys at Coos Curry Electric {Tim Hawkins, Randy McDonald, Mr. Wilson} Tell them Ron Walker said hi.

fry
August 16, 2006, 16:13
Originally posted by sportsnut





Next time you see the boys at Coos Curry Electric {Tim Hawkins, Randy McDonald, Mr. Wilson} Tell them Ron Walker said hi.

will do. will probably be talking to chuck maurer this afternoon.

i dont know tim, i think he might be a lineman, i think randy is the gold beach dist manager, i dont know him either.

i do know dale wilson, andrew mcbride, chuck maurer, shannon keys and met the cfo doyal???? a couple days ago at harbor sub.

fry
August 16, 2006, 16:20
just talked to chuck, he thought your family had the stables and mentioned that you all have a lot of property right there.

chuck said he didint think he knew you but would pass along the "hello" to dale tim and randy.

FN74
August 16, 2006, 21:20
I spent many hours in that surf off of north beach and yaquina head....

Beautiful area - very expensive, and pretty liberal. I was stationed at yaquina bay and depoe bay for 4 years with the coast guard.

Nice place to visit.

sportsnut
August 17, 2006, 02:45
Originally posted by fry
just talked to chuck, he thought your family had the stables and mentioned that you all have a lot of property right there.

chuck said he didn't think he knew you but would pass along the "hello" to dale tim and randy.



Man you are on the ball. Thanks!!:bow:

Do you know who Dale's daughter is ? Her name is Bridget, and she was miss teen USA and played in a few movies. I believe she played Arnold Schwatsnager's {SP} daughter in " Last action hero". She is now married to the ex tennis great Pete Sampres.

sportsnut
August 17, 2006, 04:01
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fry
[B]wow, cool. i did not know that. cant hardly beat a rippen storm at the coast, would have liked to check that out.

Here is a shot of where the mouth of the river used to be.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P4240031-1.jpg

calvinike
August 17, 2006, 16:26
Andy,

If you are going to be in the Lincoln City, OR area and need a place to stay PM me with exact dates. My in-laws have a house 200 yds. from the beach and they rent it. It also has a great blackberry patch adjacent and the mussels are easy pickings.

fry
August 17, 2006, 16:36
no i dont know his daughter, i have only met him once and talked to him on the phone a couple times. i know dale the best, he is who i usually deal with.

i have had fantacies of blasting down the pistol river and across the bar in jetsled.

are there any fish that run on the pistol? bluebacks, coho, chinook, steelhead?

fry
August 17, 2006, 16:45
and for that matter, does anyone ever catch anything below the bridge at goldbeach. there is always a crap load of boats fishing but i never see a net up. it doesnt look like any of the boats ever go out across the bar either, they are always inside. i have wondered if its just a bunch of retired guys with nothing better to do that go out and try to be one of the lucky ones who does boat a fish. i have been trying to decide its really worth the long haul of dragging my boat down that far south. i would go if the fishing is hot, but there are so many other places to fish that are much closer.

sportsnut
August 18, 2006, 02:09
I was fishing with my Dad on the 6th of this month, just where your talking about. During the afternoon outgoing tide there were approximately 25 Chinook caught in a 45 minute span. Nothing smaller than 20 lbs and many in the 30-45 lb range.

Does this look familiar?
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P8280011.jpg


Here is a 20lb Chinook taken from the Rogue.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P4240010.jpg

Here is a 37lb Chinook also from the Rogue.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P4240012.jpg

10lb Sleelhead taken from the Pistol
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/P2100008.jpg

Another Steelie from the Pistol River.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/DCP_0794.jpg

sportsnut
August 18, 2006, 02:15
Originally posted by calvinike
Andy,

If you are going to be in the Lincoln City, OR area and need a place to stay PM me with exact dates. My in-laws have a house 200 yds. from the beach and they rent it. It also has a great blackberry patch adjacent and the mussels are easy pickings.



Wow, a hell of an offer!! bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

You better jump on it Andy!

Andy the Aussie
August 18, 2006, 03:34
Originally posted by calvinike
Andy,

If you are going to be in the Lincoln City, OR area and need a place to stay PM me with exact dates. My in-laws have a house 200 yds. from the beach and they rent it. It also has a great blackberry patch adjacent and the mussels are easy pickings. ....hey mate that is terrific offer and I thank you very very much. I just consulted Mrs Andy's travel plans and see we pass through Lincoln City but we have accomodation booked (and paid for) noth (Cannon Beach) and south (Reedsport). But again I have to thank you for the offer.....!!!!

I have to say that in planning this trip the offers of accomodation and hospitality from Fal Filers has been nothing short of amazing....truly I would love to be sure I would catch up with everyone who has suggested it but i fear time will get the better of us....I will try to be sure...!!

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

calvinike
August 18, 2006, 09:58
Andy,

Have a great trip. I don't know if you have razor clams in AUS. but try them sauteed, not fried. The chowder is good also. Eat as much Dungeness crab as you can, I think it is better than King. Plus it's fresh.

When you plan your next trip, let me know. My wife and I have a lot of airline miles to burn up. I am looking at 1 mo. in AUS/NZ March 07. Any Thoughts or advice? Thanks.

calvinike
August 18, 2006, 10:43
sportsnut,
Those are great pictures of you and your family. I well remember the days when my son was that age. I get to Oregon 2-3 times per year, and am in the process of buying property in the Joseph area. I'll PM you with my next travel times. Maybe we can meet.

sportsnut
August 18, 2006, 11:08
Originally posted by calvinike
sportsnut,
Those are great pictures of you and your family. I well remember the days when my son was that age. I get to Oregon 2-3 times per year, and am in the process of buying property in the Joseph area. I'll PM you with my next travel times. Maybe we can meet.




Sounds good. I'm always up for meeting good people.

The little guy is real special to his Mom and I. He was over 10 years in the works. Alot of heartache and pain, but the end result is somthing i can't even put into words!

Andy the Aussie
August 18, 2006, 17:40
Originally posted by calvinike
When you plan your next trip, let me know. My wife and I have a lot of airline miles to burn up. I am looking at 1 mo. in AUS/NZ March 07. Any Thoughts or advice? Thanks. .....lots of advice on visiting down here mate. PM me some what you would like to see or do while here and I can point you in the right dircetion. Around Sydney and 'The Mountains" we will take care of getting you around and seeing beyond the tourist attractions.

I tried Clam Chowder on a "dare" when I was in OR the first time ('99) thinking it just "didn't sound right" but hey I was sold and seek it out now (that was at a place in Lincoln City as I recall). If you like Sea Food I know just the place you will need to visit for a feed, can't say it has the "flash'est surrounds" and you may have to wrestle a Sea Gull over a chip (that would be French Fry to y'all) but the sea food doe sNOT get any fresher ANYWHERE. Abominog will attest to this I am sure.

Andy:bigangel:

Edit to add that March is a great time to be out here. Still plenty warm (seems our summer runs right into March these days) but not stinking hot like Jan and Feb are. You are also outside school holiday times so places like the Gold Coast (up in Queensland) are still great but without the crowds.

calvinike
August 21, 2006, 10:44
Andy,
Thanks. We will take you up on the advice, and would love to share the camaraderie, as long as it won't be an imposition. As we are at t6he mercy of the airlines I have not booked the flight yet. Right know we are looking at flying into Sydney then going to Aukland about 20 days into the trip.

Thanks again for your offer.

Brian

calvinike
August 21, 2006, 10:46
Sorry for the misspellings and grammer on the previous message. I turned 50 on Saturday, and Alzheimers runs in the family.

pakrat57
August 21, 2006, 16:53
Hi Andy,

I see that you are staying in Reedsport OR which happens to be where I live. Not much here in town but we are only about three miles from the ocean and some of the best sand dunes on the west coast. Sand dune rides are fun if you've never done it plus you get to really see and enjoy them. If there is anything I can do for you while you are here let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Jim

calvinike
August 21, 2006, 17:05
I never would have guessed that all these FAL'ers lived on the Oregon coast. Hey guys, we at least have to come up with a password or secret decoder ring so all the pagans don't come.

To all of you that haven't been there don't go. (unless you have the, to be decided, password or decoder ring.). We have been lying. Oregon is a wasteland. It makes Saudi Arabia look like paradise, without the virgins. You have been warned.

Sportsnut, save some razor clams for this infidel and Andy. Your ring is in the mail.

jerrymrc
August 21, 2006, 18:38
Originally posted by calvinike
I never would have guessed that all these FAL'ers lived on the Oregon coast. Hey guys, we at least have to come up with a password or secret decoder ring so all the pagans don't come.

To all of you that haven't been there don't go. (unless you have the, to be decided, password or decoder ring.). We have been lying. Oregon is a wasteland. It makes Saudi Arabia look like paradise, without the virgins. You have been warned.

Sportsnut, save some razor clams for this infidel and Andy. Your ring is in the mail.

I'm coming home end of sept/ first of Oct for a couple of weeks. I cant wait.

And the coast is the best in the winter. Nothing like a good storm on the coast to remind you of where your place is in life.:eek: :beer:

ram
August 21, 2006, 21:57
Here's a link to this weekend's Brookings newspaper article about the fish in the Rogue River Bay.

http://www.currypilot.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=13350

sportsnut
August 22, 2006, 02:40
Originally posted by ram
Here's a link to this weekend's Brookings newspaper article about the fish in the Rogue River Bay.

http://www.currypilot.com/news/story.cfm?story_no=13350




My Dad and two buddys landed 5 yesterday. Four Chinook 38lb, 36, 28, 20 and a 10lb Coho

Dation
August 22, 2006, 04:29
Originally posted by Andy the Aussie
I tried Clam Chowder on a "dare" when I was in OR the first time ('99) thinking it just "didn't sound right" but hey I was sold and seek it out now (that was at a place in Lincoln City as I recall). If you like Sea Food I know just the place you will need to visit for a feed, can't say it has the "flash'est surrounds" and you may have to wrestle a Sea Gull over a chip (that would be French Fry to y'all) but the sea food doe sNOT get any fresher ANYWHERE. Abominog will attest to this I am sure.

Andy:bigangel:



Andy do you remember the name of the restaurant where you had the clam chowder? My favorite clam chowder comes from Dory Cove (http://www.dorycove.com/) in Lincoln City.

calvinike
August 22, 2006, 10:15
Dation,
My In-Laws house is up the street from Dory Cove (away from the highway) My wife and I go there a lot. Great place. Locals and friendly with VERY GOOD chowder.

sportsnut
August 22, 2006, 13:33
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fry
[B]wow, cool. i did not know that. cant hardly beat a rippen storm at the coast, would have liked to check that out.





A storm in the making....
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a35/totalsportsnut/PB260011.jpg

Pluskat
August 24, 2006, 01:37
There's got to be at least 10-20 of us FAL-types on the West side of the state. Anyone got some land available for a BBQ & Shoot?

I'll bathe first and I know I've got a toothbrush around here somewhere without solvent on it.

Just an idea and if it's already been happening then when and where?

fry
August 24, 2006, 02:15
that would be fun.

jaykden
August 24, 2006, 11:04
Originally posted by calvinike
Andy,

Have a great trip. I don't know if you have razor clams in AUS. but try them sauteed, not fried. The chowder is good also. Eat as much Dungeness crab as you can, I think it is better than King. Plus it's fresh.

When you plan your next trip, let me know. My wife and I have a lot of airline miles to burn up. I am looking at 1 mo. in AUS/NZ March 07. Any Thoughts or advice? Thanks.

i was in AU this last march visiting my woman. my advice is, don't go any earlier than march, march was cooling off but still plenty warm, especially for a guy coming from cold winter in alaska.

hey andy, next time you make it to the US, come up here, i garantee you WILL love it.

ram
August 25, 2006, 22:22
Since they closed down the gun club here in Gold Beach, I've been suffering for a place to shoot.

sportsnut
August 25, 2006, 23:12
Originally posted by ram
Since they closed down the gun club here in Gold Beach, I've been suffering for a place to shoot.




Thats to bad, i have many fond memories shooting there as a kid with my grandpa.

FN74
August 26, 2006, 19:51
There's a decent range out in Siletz, past the indian rez. 500+ yards easy. If you need directions, look up in the lincoln county phone book "Bullock's guns" in newport, he'll help you. Decent guy, used to deal with him a lot when I was in newport.