PDA

View Full Version : Optics questions

Duckdog
August 07, 2006, 15:36
I picked up a para fal recently and purchased a DSA para scope mount. I would like to put a short scope on this. I really want one with a lifetime warranty so I'm considering the Leupold 1.25 - 4 X 20 European scope. The eye relief is 3.8 - 4.4. Iis this eye relief acceptable for the fal / para mount etc. ? Also what about the rings, I'm leaning toward the Leupold Quick Release rings. Any thoughts / recommendations on this? What ring height would I need? Any other advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
Duckdog

shootist87122
August 07, 2006, 22:32
I have the Medium Leupold quick release rings on my only scoped FAL and they seem to work well. Pics of the rifle are in a thread I started futher down in this forum. They sit just barely high enough for the scope to clear the handguards using a Leupold 3x9x33 Compact on a WAC SL mount. You should not have any problems with a 20mm scope and Med rings. The DSA mount (Para especially) will sit higher still.

For the short scope you are looking at, you should have no problem mounting it far enough fwd to get the proper eye relief.

Edit: The 3x9x33 Leupold I'm using is actually called an Ultralight and has about the same eye relief as the 1X4 Euro. The thing to watch out for is if you need the scope mounted futher back and the rear sight gets in the way. I'll drop it on my Para tomorrow and see if there are any issues with the Medium rings.

Joe

MichonRAFW
August 08, 2006, 10:22
If you can wait an extra 2 months, burris will finish assembling their Euro Diamonds in 1-4x24mm. They have 30mm tubes and and huge field of view. 109feet at 100yds at 1x versus 74 feet at 100yds with the leupold. They're almost a true 1x and have .5MOA adjustments. I was all set to order the illuminated one until I called burris and they said they havn't built them yet because they were waiting for the glass to come in. I got impatient and ordered the leupold vx-III 1.5-5 illuminated one instead (only 75ft field of view at 100yds).
Ryan

Duckdog
August 08, 2006, 12:09
MichonRAFW, thanks. I looked at Burris' website and found the scope you were referencing. The only drawback that I don't like is that the scope weighs 17 oz, and is over 11 " long. I know this'll be on a rifle that already weighs Alot, but I am not sure if I want the extra weight and length to get a wider FOV. That's why I was leaning toward the 30mm to add a little extra width. Your thoughts?
I plan on using the rifle for deer hunting when I don't feel like bringing a 'hunting' rifle, BUT it would be faster on follow up shots. In Louisiana, we're allowed to take a buck and doe on same day. I've done that before with a scoped M1A, ...dropped one, then the other took off running and got that one too.

MichonRAFW
August 08, 2006, 22:13
The leupold euro 1.25-4 30mm and the vx-II 1-4 1" scope have virtually the same field of fiew. I think one has an extra foot of view at 100yds so it's pretty negligable. The only thing you really gain from the 30mm tube is extra brightness at low light. however the exit pupil on such a low magnification scope is greater than that of the eye so that is also virtually negligable. As far as I can tell, the only real noticable difference between the vx-II and the euro in 1-4x is that the euro version has courser adjustments. I think they are 1 MOA clicks in stead of 1/4" clicks on the vx-II. The vx-II is also a little lighter with the narrower tube.

All things to think about. Either way I think you'll be happy.

Ryan

StarPD
August 20, 2006, 19:06
Burris makes a fine scope. Not sure of they've changed to have lower prices, but their scope bodies were thicker and of better material than others, they used ALL brass internals, and glass is superb with excellent coating. THAT'S why they're a little heavier. I had a 4-12 X 50 that almost sucked light in. On that particular scope, my only complaint was short eye relief and narrow relief range. It was hard to keep an image centered, but was clear as a bell and bright as can be. It was every bit as good, maybe better than the Leupolds that I've owned.

Burris is reputed to be one of the toughest scopes around, especially at very good prices. If you want a rugged premium scope at a reasonable price, you could do a lot worse. Not sure if they even still make it, but check out the "Mr T" and/or "Black Diamond". Check out their web site for product details.

handym3000
August 23, 2006, 19:56
go to kalinkaoptics.com for some great scope w/ what you are looking for.

armed1
August 25, 2006, 11:00
Where did you get the para scope mount?

StarPD
August 25, 2006, 11:31
Armed1, not sure who you addressed your question to, but I used a DSA "Extreme Duty" 1913 dust cover and Burris 1913 style rings on my SA 58.

Duckdog
August 31, 2006, 20:48
Thanks for the input. I contacted Burris and will wait till the end of Sept. for their EuroDiamond like you suggested Ryan. I've looked at all of the scopes <$700, and decided on this one. Appreciate everyone's input, Ryan/George.

Best regards,

Louisiana Duckdog

StarPD
August 31, 2006, 22:35
Good luck to you, Duckdog.
Let us know how you make out.

Take care.