PDA

View Full Version : Markings: Crests/Coat of Arms on Belgian guns?

Strike Penguin
August 04, 2006, 16:11
Did Belgian Army FALs have any coats of arms or crest markings on the mag well? If so, are there any good pictures of these markings? My M1 project is getting close to completion and I wanted to know if I needed to get anything engraved on the receiver. :)

Anders' Belgian Congo M1 has a coat of arms on the receiver that looks more like the Belgian coat of arms than the Belgian Congo coat of arms... That's the only Belgian rifle I know of that I've seen a crest on.

MAINER
August 05, 2006, 08:59
Checked my two referances, The FAL Rifle, and Encyclopedia of Modern Firearms. None of the Belguim guns pictured shows any Crest. FN produced rifles for a number of other countries with Crests, S. Africa, Israel, most of the S. American countries

Many of the pics showed only the charge knob side of the receiver however.

Hope one of the Xperts comes along.

It would be great if I could go to my Gun Room and look over a dozen of my Belgian FAL's for ya, but....oh well.

They did have a Belgian army mark over the selector on the left side of the receiver. ABL 1955 for instance.

ruudje-c
August 05, 2006, 10:23
Belgium M1 or M2 and M3 don't bear crests . They were marked ABL 19..
and serie number .
ABL means Armee Belge , Belgisch Leger . Means Belgium Army in French and Dutch language .
Belgium Army FN 49 had crests and the Force Publique which was the counterpart of the Belgian Army in the former colony of Congo had also crests .

Strike Penguin
August 05, 2006, 12:32
Thanks guys... I have Stevens' book and I saw the "A.B.L. 195x" on the left but there weren't many clear pics of the right side. The book makes a point to show the crests on foreign guns, including the Belgian Congo rifles, but there is nothing shown for the ABL guns - so in a way, that confirms what you all say.

I wonder if I should hold out for an ORF receiver so I can get it engraved, or just settle for a DSA with "DSArms Barrington Illinois" on it. :p