PDA

View Full Version : Front Site Options...

Randall
April 09, 2002, 11:42
Current configuration: Inch pattern L1A1 front end. Imbel metric receiver and metric lower. The old flip up L1A1 inch pattern site has been moved onto the metric lower, an ARMS mount with a scope is also on the rifle. The flip up site was put back on to clear the scope with medium high rings. Has never been used with iron sites in this config.

Would eventually like to put higher QD rings on and be able to put the original metric peep back onto the lower. However, I've read here that this will cause issues with siting in with iron sites. (i.e. shooting high).

Would like to keep the metric peep on the lower, as it fits better on the lower, and looks better in my opinion. I would rather not grind the front post if I can get away with it either.

Would a KNS duplex site work on this configuration? If so, metric or inch? If not, what other options would I have besides grinding the front post?

Thanks in advance.
Ramdy

P.S. For those of you who know I'm in Kalifornia, this rifle does not reside here. I simply have conjugal visits from time to time. Kalifornia SUCKS!

Randall
April 10, 2002, 10:27
btt

LAFAL
April 10, 2002, 10:49
Randall, I believe that KNS makes both a metric and an inch (L1A1) model. I have one
of the duplex metrics for my STG but I find
that it is hard to use in lowlight or shadows. Works fine on bright sunny days and works kinda like a ghost ring. Center the front crosshairs in the back sight and bang. I'd rather put a red dot or collumator
on my topcover mount. HOpe this helps to answer one question at least.

aleph_beth
April 10, 2002, 11:07
in my experience the metric sight and the open ear front site combo will shoot low. when the front sight is adjusted all the way down(to bring the impact up) the metric peep will still shoot low using the 2 settiing. adjusting the metric peep higher will often allow some kind of sight-in to be possible. i have seen some pics on this board of the leupold scope in qd rings positioned in front of the rear metric peep. very low and close to the bore. that setup looks good to me and the operator says it shoots nice for him too.

whatnow
April 10, 2002, 11:08
L1A1 front sight has a wide range of adjustment, you may still be able to use
the metric rear sight with the L1A1 front sight.