PDA

View Full Version : FAL acting odd. Need advice

hydrotx
April 09, 2002, 10:48
Not clucking like a chicken odd but strange none the less.

A friend built up a G1 last weekend and finally had a chance to shoot it. FTE, he went home, snugged up the gas tube, checked the piston, swears it was not on grenade. He misplaces the magazine and goes back to use it as a single shot. Rounds eject with no problem without the mag in place. Goes back to range with mag in place and back to FTE. Any ideas?

TIA
Joel

StevePP
April 09, 2002, 11:30
may be just enough pressure from the magazine and the next round dragging on the bottom of the bolt?? increase the gas pressure a notch??

LongGun
April 09, 2002, 11:41
Hmmmmm, Sounds familiar. I just started a post on this exact issue with my G-1 a couple of days ago. "Imbel shaving brass, where do I dremel?" Check it out, you should find your answer.
Imbel Shaving Brass (http://www.falfiles.com/cgi-bin/forums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=005789)

[ April 09, 2002: Message edited by: LongGun ]

ByronF
April 09, 2002, 11:56
Long Gun, yours suffered FTF, not FTE, correct? The problem you had could only manifest itself AFTER the spent case is ejected and the bolt tries to strip the top round out of the mag. I don't think Hydrox's rifle is getting that far, as his isn't ejecting.

Hydrox, has he tried it as a single shot with an EMPTY mag inserted? I'm not sure what I'd conclude from that information but it might help us to troubleshoot.

Byron

hydrotx
April 09, 2002, 12:10
Just spoke with the guy and even with a single round and an empty mag, the problem still manifests itself. Unfortunately he is a few hundred miles from me and only has one mag. I told him to take off the top cover, and use some marking ink and see if the bolt is dragging on the mag. I guess the next step is to drill the port out slightly and try again.