PDA

View Full Version : wrench??

Ichabod
April 09, 2002, 10:05
What size open-end wrench should I get for removing barrels?I know I need to remove a little material,just don't remember a starting size.

Shrike
April 09, 2002, 10:23
1 1/16 or 27mm
I got craftsman incase i took to much off i could return it for a new one :D
Mike

Ichabod
April 09, 2002, 10:38
Thanks :D Craftsman is the way to go.Espcially for those of us who sometimes "modify"things ;)

LongGun
April 09, 2002, 12:14
Personally I'd suggest filing the flats a bit rather than the $30 perfectly good wrench.
YMMV

AZ Survivor1
April 09, 2002, 13:30
WECSOG Freshman Quiz!

Always modify the cheapest part!LOL

ByronF
April 09, 2002, 13:41
Yep, FAL barrels are cheaper than a quality 1-1/16" wrench.

Byron

Templator
April 09, 2002, 13:45
You won't need to worry about filing the barrel flats until *after* you attempt to remove the barrel with an open end wrench.

joanroco
April 09, 2002, 15:31
After sanding the barrel flats to just under 15% off center, I tried a 27 mm open ended wrench. It was a tight enough fit that once in place, I could suspend the wrench with the barrel. To make sure the wrench didn't go any where, I rigged a clamp to make sure the wrench didn't slip forward on the barrel. I put a pipe over the end of the wrench and pulled away. THE WRENCH OPENNED UP - rounding the flats.

The moral is "Beware of rounding the flats."

After filing the flats so that they were flat again, I had a student make me a barrel wrench and did it the right way.

http://mail.guns.ru/~joan/barrelwrench.jpg

In retrospect, a good heavy pipe wrench with parallel jaws probably would have worked OK too.

Shrike
April 09, 2002, 15:37
Originally posted by LongGun:
<STRONG>Personally I'd suggest filing the flats a bit rather than the $30 perfectly good wrench.
YMMV</STRONG>

http://webpages.charter.net/jeff.hoeft/pics/BS1.gif
27mm at sears cost me 9.99
i dont ever remember seeing barrels that cheap.... modify the cheapest part.