PDA

View Full Version : Glass Parkerizing Tank?

Iso
April 08, 2002, 19:37
got a buddy who owns a glass shop and said he would make me a couple of park tanks but we are trying to figure out what type of glue and or adhesive to use to put the tank together. any suggestions or advise?

also, what kind of specs should my sand laster have. I have an 8hp compressor but i have to get a blaster (as cheap as possible but will do a good job for parking prep).

thanks
Iso

jneal
April 09, 2002, 07:17
Your 8 hp should do fine for blasting firearms. Mine is a 60 gal 7.5 hp, it works great. I dont paint houses with it but it is fine for tools and blasting.
When I was looking into compressors I went to Northern and spoke to some bimbo who apparently need toys for her tots and tried selling me the big $1000 setup. Skeptical, I talked to some more knowledgable less bias folks who told me that for what I wanted to do the $400 porter cable would be fine. I whole heartedly agree on hindsight.

jneal

stimpsonjcat
April 09, 2002, 08:46
I used JB weld to seal the halves and corners of my home-depot park tank.

No problems so far.

Doubleought
April 09, 2002, 11:42
You might try one of the larger pet stores. They might have some sort of aquarium adhesive for repairs, etc. At least some advise, maybe. A commercial window installer might be another option. HTH

OO

Randall
April 09, 2002, 14:43
This may seem like a silly question, but for those who have glass park tanks, have you had any problems with glass breakage due to heat? Thanks in advance.

PCSinc
April 09, 2002, 19:07
Iso,
Just a suggestion...a job worth doing is worth doing right! Check with DoubleOught on making a tank. His are commercial quality at a more than fair price. We use'em exclusively. Just my 2 cents.

Iso
April 09, 2002, 22:12
Thanks for the help guys. I initially wanted to get one of Doubleought's tanks but I have tooooo much $$ in this project. It is either wait till who knows when or do it now by the end of April. The reason I chose the glass tank was that my buddy can let me have all the material for 3 tanks, minus the JB weld, for 15 dollars. I am going to be out side so if it all falls apart I will be out 15 bucks plus acid and water. Wish me luck as I am goin into it head first at the end of the week.

Iso

stimpsonjcat
April 10, 2002, 08:04
If the glass is thick enough...and can handle 200 degrees...I am predicting success.

Certainly the JB Weld can handle 200 degrees.

Be sure to scuff up the glass where you are applying the JB Weld.

Randall
April 10, 2002, 10:25
Thanks Stimpy.