PDA

View Full Version : Question on a L1A1 build

Fallschirmjäger
April 08, 2002, 18:58
I have been waffling on this, but I was looking at building an L1A1 from a kit. I know I can get the Inch receiver from Entreprise, but where do you get the required US parts for an Inch rifle?

Thanks

Dan at VOW
April 08, 2002, 19:05
RPB has everything you need to build your Inch rifle. H/T/S from FSE, gas piston, L1A1 fake f/h, folding charging handles. Plus they are GREAT people to deal with. HTH, Dan at VOW.

Fallschirmjäger
April 08, 2002, 22:02
Cool, thanks!

One question though. RPB has a legalese statement referring to the number of parts that must be replaced to be legal, as such:

"ATF 178.39 states that no semi-automatic rifle can be assembled using more than 10 imported parts. The ATF has a list of 20 imported parts, 17 parts apply to the FN/FAL. Therefore, 7 imported parts on the FN/FAL must be eliminated or replaced using US manufactured parts.

The most confusing issue of ATF compliance is in regards to the barrel. Since the FN/FAL cannot have a threaded barrel, there are two options. The first option is to have a non-threaded barrel. The second option is to permanently attach (weld) an US manufactured muzzle brake. Note that because the FN/FAL will function with or without the muzzle brake, the muzzle brake does not count as a required part to be legal.

Legal compliance requires the use of six (6) US manufactured parts."

OK, so now I'm lost. One minute it's 7 parts, then it's 6. Anyone care to shed some light???

Mosin Guy
April 08, 2002, 22:05
Its 7 U.S.made parts if you use a muzzle device on the end of the barrel,its 6 if you use a bare barrel with NO muzzle device on the end of your barrel.HTH

Fallschirmjäger
April 08, 2002, 22:16
OK, but then does that mean that I can use a US manufactured part somewhere else and retain the F/H, so long as I have 7 US parts?

Also, if a bare barrel requires only 6 parts, then if you add a US manufactured faux F/H, are you still cool?

Cut me some slack if this sounds stupid, because I spent the entire flight back from Cancun trying to figure out why it's legal to buy, smoke, and transport cigars into the US, so long as they're not Cuban.

Dan at VOW
April 08, 2002, 22:20
Welding is NOT the only means of attaching a muzzle device. I need to talk to Russell about the wording. You can blind pin or silver solder (1100 degree silver solder per ATF regs). Using your Inch receiver from Entreprise, you will need 6 more US parts if you want to use a brake or fake flash hider. Only 5 if you go bare muzzle. H/T/S, gas piston, and folding charging handle would be 5, RPB also carries the only correct looking fake f/h for the L1A1.

Russell has been referring a lot of people to me on assembly questions, as well as specialty parts. Call me if you have any questions, I will do my best to steer you in the right direction. HTH, Dan.

Sorry, but ATF says that the use of the "EVIL" flash hider will cause you to tear off of mattress tags, the warning labels on hair driers (do NOT use under water) try to redeem expired coupons and other evil stuff. Besides, it has that "EVIL" bayonet lug on it, and you might use it to dismember small woodland creatures while baying at the moon.

In other words and all sarcasm aside, no you can't keep the flash hider on a post ban rifl e with the evil features that the FAL has.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: Dan at VOW ]

Mosin Guy
April 08, 2002, 22:21
You can not use the stock flash hider,Period,but you can use a Faux or fake flash hider and there are U.S.Made L1A1 fake flash hiders available but if you do use one on your barrel you have to have a total of 7 U.S. Made parts.HTH

Fallschirmjäger
April 08, 2002, 22:27
Is it me or does that sound completely stupid? If I have nothing on the barrel I only need 6, but if I add a fake flash suppressor, I suddenly need another US part?

I'm lost...

FALJUNKIE
April 09, 2002, 07:18
Yeah this stuff the govt. does can be a little confusing but stick with it and it will kick in. You can't use the original F/H so forget about it its gone. You can get a fake F/H made in the US to replace it. They don't want you sticking someone with a bayonet. Your next option is either go with Ironwood pistol grip, stock and handguard which will give you three US parts right there. Than all you will need is the H/T/S that will give you seven US parts.Eight with the Entreprise receiver. There is a list of the parts that you can replace to do a legal build on the FNFAL web site that will be a great help. Hope I was able to clear some of the fog away and good luck :eek:

TJ
April 09, 2002, 07:49
Go ahead and stick a US mag follower in too if you're worried about an under-count of parts. No law says you can't have more than 7 US parts! :D TJ