PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Machine Tools

idsubgun
April 08, 2002, 12:02
I constantly see posts asking where to buy items such as drill bits, dies, taps, etc.
Look in your yellow pages, under "Machine Tools" and buy from them if possible.
Or call some local machine shops and ask them who they buy from locally.
Two things will happen if you do.
You will buy locally and won't have to pay shipping and by buying locally, you will keep your money in your area, supporting local businesses.
Hell, if you can't find a machine tool distributor, ask to buy from your local machine shop. Chances are if you are just wanting one or two little bits, they will just give them to you. I have several times.

DJ
April 08, 2002, 17:50
That's one of the nice things about working in a machine shop....I don't have to buy drills and taps and other goodies. ;)

idsubgun
April 08, 2002, 17:54
Originally posted by DJ:
<STRONG>That's one of the nice things about working in a machine shop....I don't have to buy drills and taps and other goodies. ;)</STRONG>

heh heh heh, I know!
:D :D :p

Razielas
April 08, 2002, 18:23
Here's wher the difficult stuff comes. Locally it is almost impossible to get HSS taps. O.K. I can get thhose singles from any of the big companies. But the problem comes with drills locally you pay up the wazoo for them and say that you need cobalt or carbide. Say that you need screw machine length drills, center drills or 118 deg as opposed to 135 deg or any spotting drills. Usually locally they cost up the wazoo. I wouldn't mind paying twice as much as I would to Enco but as long as I just have to buy one not twelve. BTW I don't care if I have to order from a catalog. Know where i can get this.

medicmike
April 09, 2002, 12:01
I try to buy from a local company when possible. Am on a first name basis with the staff at the local machinist supply. They are a bit more expensive though. I can get US made end mills cheaper from MSC than they charge for Polish or Asian cutters.