PDA

View Full Version : Gas plug goes west!

crazy booger
April 07, 2002, 22:47
I've got a R1A1 carbine on a Imbel receiver that I gained used, and, all has been well till -upon going to clean it after shooting today, both of the gas plug bayonet protrusions were found to have cracked off the plug! Yikes!!! At least it didn't come unglued during firing and impell my piston into the creek.

Does this indicate some problem I need to be aware of/correct? Is this common?

I will, of course, replace it (guess I could drill & tap some sort of keeper -but won't).

I'd appreciate whatever feedback that is offered.

BOOGER :confused:

jimmieZ
April 08, 2002, 07:12
I'd suspect your gas piston is too long - the bolt carrier is pushing it into the plug every time it comes forward. See other posts of people having the same problem. You'll need to ensure the rear of the gas piston isn't projecting past the inside forward edge of the receiver. Get a new gas plug.

Jim Z

crazy booger
April 08, 2002, 10:41
Makes sense.. will check (never thought about length of gas piston -should have). And, will replace plug.

Thanks. BOOGER

crazy booger
April 08, 2002, 19:53
Got around to checking length -with the gas plug in place, the piston rod did not extend to the carrier face..was maybe 1/16" short of entering the action (?). Is OK? :confused:

BOOGER

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: crazy booger ]

W.E.G.
April 08, 2002, 21:06
Originally posted by crazy booger:
<STRONG>...piston rod did not extend to the carrier face..was maybe 1/16" short of entering the action (?). Is OK?</STRONG>

That gap is what is know as "dwell." The system works best when the piston is allowed to accelerate a bit before engaging the carrier. The amount of dwell you observed is not excessive.

crazy booger
April 09, 2002, 18:33
Thanks!

P.S. I just bought my 4th dremel today -it's getting worse than pre-ban addition.

BOOGER :D