PDA

View Full Version : lettering highlighting

JAVIER
April 07, 2002, 22:12
I was told to use the model testors brand to highlight. then bake at 300 for 1 hour... is good idea to put a final coat of clear paint or this is not necesary? if you do, this is done before of after the bake? thanks..

blackbird
April 08, 2002, 02:13
I have never used testors for this. It is plain old enamel so I don't see what baking it would accomplish. Perhaps speed up the drying time?

Do a search on "painting markings" and you'll see what others are using.

I use lacquer stix from Brownells (www.brownells.com) in white and red. They sell them for this specific purpose and it is as easy as drawing with a crayon. Cleanup and control are much better than paint/toothpick as well.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: blackbird ]

Mad Dog 7.62
April 08, 2002, 04:31
Testors model paint works fine. You don't need a toothpick! Just paint it into the letters as good as you can. Let it get dry, but not real dry....maybe an hour or so. Then, use a thin cloth dampened in laquer thinner (just damp, not wet)...wipe carefully over the top of the letter...after a few times, you'll figure the technique out pretty good. Then let the rest of the paint dry a week or so before you get any oil or anything on it. Works great!!

Aifwikir
April 08, 2002, 04:54
I use acrylic Auto touch-up paint in the small tube with the brush handle.
http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=Aifwikir&album_id=25819&image_id=10&param=62560

Just paint it on let it set for a couple hours & use acytone to wipe off the excess.

:D
Aif

JAVIER
April 08, 2002, 10:52
thank you all for yor help. any more suggestions on how to prepare the surface? acetone will do it?? or paint thinner??

LongGun
April 08, 2002, 11:23
Use Acetone to prep the area, but DO NOT use any type of thinner to remove the excess paint. You're going to inevitably wipe some paint out of the numbers/letter, especially in the shallow punched markings on many receivers.

Use testors Red&White Insignia
fill in lettering completely, dont worry about paint outside the lines
allow it to dry
scrape clumps off with your nail
use a regular pencil eraser to rub off any remaining excess paint outside the lines.
The eraser is great for removing paint and it is firm so it won't affect the paint in the lettering.

JeterStyle: I attached a pencil eraser to the threaded dremel bit. Cleared the excess paint in seconds.

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: LongGun ]

JAVIER
April 08, 2002, 21:07
thanks.. guys. so is safe to use acetone and the pencil eraser, with out damaging the parkerized finish on the receiver???

LongGun
April 09, 2002, 09:01
Worked fine for me. I picked up the info on a previous thread and it seemed like the easiest, most effective way to go at the lettering. Acetone evapoates very quickly and does not harm the park but does a great job at prepping the area.

Dave

medicmike
April 09, 2002, 12:04
I have been using "Laquer Stik" from Brownells for this with great results. Just rub it into the engraving and wipe the excess off.

JoeLad
April 10, 2002, 16:08
I gotta agree with MedicMike, the laquer stick works great.
I've done many an M1 with it.

The only problem I've found is on using it on Parkerizing that's too dry. It soaks into the pores around the numbers you're marking, and it's tough to get off.

Ask me how I know... ;)

Firejunkie :D

Proud FAL Shooter
April 12, 2002, 23:00
if it's not high heat area, and if you just some something cheap, easy, and doesn't damage finish, rubbing soap on it works. or so I've heard.