PDA

View Full Version : roll - pin size for charging handle?

MG-70
September 14, 2001, 12:56
What's the correct roll-pin size and where can easily obtain one? (i.e. Home Depot, Track Auto, etc.)

I'm refering to the one that secures the Charging Handle slide lug.

TIA,
MG-70

[Moderator Note: subject heading edited/improved for boolean search capability]

[ September 18, 2001: Message edited by: gary.jeter ]

FNMike
September 14, 2001, 18:53
Tapco has new ones for $.99 cents, check out their website.
I bought 5 so I would not be short.
Not sure what size they are.

MG-70
September 14, 2001, 19:43
Thanks, if I can't find it in stock around here somewhere, I'll definitely order from them...I was looking get rockin'&rolling a little sooner...

Regards,
MG-70

Newbie2FALs
September 14, 2001, 22:31
coat hangers are the right Dia.
try the white ones first,then the heavier Brass ones.
The pin goes in from the top (as oriented on the Receiver)

HTH

Dave1
September 14, 2001, 23:02
5/64 dia. x 5/16 long roll pin will work
HTH
Dave

MG-70
September 15, 2001, 01:34
Thank you all!

mp
September 15, 2001, 09:29
Don't know if you have a Harbor Freight and Tolls near you, but I picked up a roll pin kit for $6 or so. There is like 100 different pins of varying sizes in it. Used to buy the pins from TAPCO until I did the math....

W.E.G.
September 16, 2001, 17:24
One other suggestion with these retaining pins:

If you have to take it apart and put it back together as many times as I do before you get it right, you should be concerned about the hole for the retaining pin getting wallowed-out a bit. I know at least one member posted about the CH pin falling out at the range. I took one apart a couple days ago, and I was shocked at how loose the pin was in the hole.

If the rifle is one you may have to rely on for your life, you want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE that the pin won't vibrate/fall out at some really inopportune time.

Once you are ABSOLUTELY SURE that the rifle is working correctly, you need to make sure the retaining pin fits REALLY TIGHT. You may want to peen the orifice just a bit to keep the pin from "walking."

kotengu
September 16, 2001, 18:32
heh heh - you said "peen the orifice"

Bubba
September 18, 2001, 12:12
I have the answer! Because I just WECSOG'd mine.
I have one of those hand squeeze rivit (sp) guns. The pin on the rivit is the right size. I cut with a pair of wire snips to length and filed the top pretty and smooth. The bottom I left snipped which aided in retention by oblonging. Tapped in, worked perfectly.

W.E.G.
November 28, 2001, 22:57
The dimensions of the cocking handle pin sold by TAPCO are:
length: 0.320" (~5/16")
diameter: 0.083" (~3/32")

Dave1
November 29, 2001, 00:53
Originally posted by gary.jeter:
<STRONG>The dimensions of the cocking handle pin sold by TAPCO are:
length: 0.320" (~5/16")
diameter: 0.083" (~3/32")</STRONG>

YIKES:eek

5/16 = .312
3/32 = .09375

really, what you'd want is a 5/16 x 5/64(.078) roll pin (spring pin), dat udder one is tooooo big. The roll pin will allow for a wallowed out hole but will be tight in a handle that hasn't been taken apart a billion times.
Dave

Dan at VOW
November 29, 2001, 07:42
Let me know if you need any of the 5/64th roll pins, I have about a thousand of them in the shop. 4 pins for 1.50 including postage. These fit the gas block/tube as well. I'm working on the package deal that Gary spoke about. HTH, Dan.

Templator
November 29, 2001, 09:29
If the holes for the pins in your gas tube or charging handle are a bit wallowed out,.. you may want to try using a 2mm. 5/64ths=.0781 2mm =.0787.

Vanden Berg
November 29, 2001, 13:18
I have seen some that a 5/64 roll pin fell through like berries through a goose. I don't know if some are just worn-out or if we're working with different sizes from the different manufacturers, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as one-size-fits-all....wish it were.

Rocketman
November 29, 2001, 14:06
I used a smooth box 4D nail. I roughly measured the length I would need, cut the piece, filed it smooth on both ends, and tapped it in. And, Voila! It was cheap and quick.
:D

Templator
November 29, 2001, 14:11
Just got back from the industrial supply house. Bought 100 2mm roll pins and 100 hardened and polished 2mm dowel pins. All of them are 10mm long. I tried out the hardened dowels on the gas tube pin hole and they're a nice, snug press fit. An improvement over the mild steel pins that are commonly used in this application. The 2mm roll pins provided a very snug fit in the charging handle lug pin hole,.. just a bit tighter than the pin that was provided with it. I got the same length(10mm) roll pins so that they could be used interchangably between the gas tube pin hole and the charging handle lug pin hole, however, the roll pins are about .075" too long for the charging handle lug pin hole and will have to be shortened. Shouldn't pose any big problem. After my little experiment, I'll now use the 2mm hardened dowels in the gas tube pin hole and the 2mm roll pins in the charging handle lug pin. Both work well for those applications.

By the way,.. 100 of the 2mm roll pins cost me $5.

[ November 29, 2001: Message edited by: Templator ]

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: Templator ]

W.E.G.
November 30, 2001, 16:12
Originally posted by Vanden Berg:
<STRONG>I have seen some that a 5/64 roll pin fell through like berries through a goose. I don't know if some are just worn-out or if we're working with different sizes from the different manufacturers, but it doesn't seem to be as simple as one-size-fits-all....wish it were.</STRONG>

I reckon I oughta just buy an assortment. I can't wait until the little coyote spills them all on the floor and has to put them back in groups. "Here ya go kid. This here's what we call a vernier caliper. Start measurin'!"