PDA

View Full Version : OT AR15 reciever

Ropes4u
September 14, 2001, 02:52
What does everyone think is the best - i know it is subjective - reciever to build an AR on???

Thanks, John

shortround
September 14, 2001, 02:56
Bushmaster - Affordable, good quality, available.

pauld
September 14, 2001, 06:59
I have build on both Oly and DPMS, no real problems on either. I would vote for DPMS, just my 2.

Paul

gofer
September 14, 2001, 09:09
Ck out a "rock river arms" lower reciever fromweb page (http://www.gunsmokeinc.com) gunsmoke enterprise ($110). Great people to deal with! :D

stimpsonjcat
September 14, 2001, 09:22
MINE! :D

http://www.alltel.net/~jbperry/stimpar1.jpg

mp
September 14, 2001, 10:12
I have used the Oly and Eagle Arms/Armalite. The Eagle Arms was far superior in fit and finish, but the Oly's went together without any problems, either. I would build off the Eagle Arms again, due to fit and finish. But I'm not going to get rid of my Oly's cause they are PRE BAN!!

screech-fnfal
September 14, 2001, 16:38
Best advice is buy upper and lower from a good company, as a matched set. If you order from Bushmaster (My favorite) ask them to match an upper and a lower for best fit. You will be amazed at how sloppy some fit, BUT, you will also be amazed at how well some fit! :D

Timber Wolf
September 14, 2001, 17:54
If I had known the ban was coming and the dang things would get valuable I would not have built ARs on those damn cheap "Essential Arms" lowers and "Nesard" uppers back in the day. Having said that, I now question the wisdom of building on cheap receivers altogether (Hesse, etc.). One thing I do not notice is color. I worry about how they shoot, not if they are pretty! Well, except for wood, I like my wood to look good.

Ropes4u
September 14, 2001, 21:33
Thanks for the help... I think I will go with a RRA or Bushy depending on availability and who my smith usually buys from.. I was curious about those 90$ OLYs but figured the price was to good to be true..

Blue Skies, John

Jeffrey K Hampshire
September 14, 2001, 21:56
I have an excellant Oly complete rifle that I bought from Hootbro (thanks again, busted about 30 woodchucks with it so far :D ).

I built a model 1 kit on a stripped Oly lower from FAC for my son, finish was good although not quite as smooth as mine, everything went together perfectly and it has run without a bobble even using cheap steel cased russian ammo. So dont give up on Oly so quickly, they also have an excellant warranty.