PDA

View Full Version : MAS 49/56 HELP!!

jm1072
July 04, 2006, 02:14
Hey, I'm kind of new here, but I need a little help and I thought somebody here might know...

I recently purchased a mint, unissued MAS 49/56 in 7.5. The outside of the rifle is absolutely perfect. The wood is great and the parkerizing is amazing. I expected the barrel to be the same, but it's not. The guy I bought it from said that when the rifle was rearsenaled they didn't plug the barrel and the bore has perkerizing in it making it look so dark. Is this common? Or should the bore be bright and shiny? He said putting a few rounds throught the barrel would loosen it up. Any help would be great.

Thanks

3GUN
July 04, 2006, 11:51
I have a MAS 36 with its original finish, black paint over park, the bore is bright, unparked, like any other rifle.

But my other MAS 36, my MAS 49 and my three MAS 49/56s all have new wood, parked exteriors (no paint) and dark parked bores. The 36 and 49 are also counter bored at the muzzle and show some light pitting under the park. Two of the 49/56 look like they had nice bores before they were parked.

They all shoot just fine, but bore cleaning is a bit more work.

Personally I have never seen a MAS 49/56 that has not been refinished/ rebuilt. Your MAS sounds typical to me.

But even parked not all bores are equal. Ideally the rifling should still be sharp and the lands smooth pay close attention to the rifling just in front of the chamber and at the muzzle.

Some light pitting is to be expected, none of these rifles are new or un-issued, no mater how good they look on the out side.

PS: this ? belongs in the C&R forum.

jm1072
July 04, 2006, 12:42
Thanks so much. Will normal cleaning (ie, bronse brush) hurt the barrel. Is there anything special I should do since the bore is parked?

3GUN
July 04, 2006, 14:11
I prefer nylon brushes to bronze for rifles that I shoot (and clean) allot.
Like my AR.

But I donít believe moderate use of a bronze brush will be a problem with this or most C&R rifles.

In my experience the parked bore will copper foul quicker then a smoother bore.

A bore paste (like J-B) may be helpful and/or a bore cleaner that chemically dissolves copper.

With shooting and cleaning the bore should improve as some of the park is removed.

Have fun, my MAS rifles have proven to be accurate, reliable and soft shooting.

turbomark7
July 04, 2006, 16:37
I acquired my minty 36/51 and my 49/56 early on; both had bright bores.

Bore Snakes help mightily in the cleaning process. Bronze brush is a must; just don't change directions mid-bore with the brush.

krallstar
July 07, 2006, 14:18
Mine came the same way. I don't think it's a problem. Mine shoots great. 7.5