PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith Files and Stones

DeadFish
April 06, 2002, 15:07
I just ordered a C&S extended thumb safety that I plan on fitting and installing myself on the "T" series Browning Hi-Power I just aquired. I've never filed or stoned on a gun before so I don't have any needle, gunsmith files or stones. I do have plenty of large files (10" etc.) and am mainly interested in pistol work files now to support this safety fitting job. I don't want to spend a lot now but would like to get the basic most commonly used (small file and stone) items. Brownells selection of files and stones confuses me. What files do you recommend that might be useful for this pistol job and in planning for the future. I posted this on the Hi Power sight but am not getting a response. Please help. Gary, I already have a Dremel, thanks.

bwillcball
April 06, 2002, 15:52
Deadfish,someone posted this website last week and they have all kinds of files and stones,and good prices too,www.gesswein.com,I just purchased some stones last week,HTH

xIA
April 06, 2002, 18:38
You won't need any stones to fit a BHP extended safety from C&S.
Some good needle files are a good investment if you will be doing a lot of this. If not, just hit your basic discount tool store and buy an el-cheapo set. The BHP safety is a pretty-straight forward job.

xIA
April 06, 2002, 18:44
Oh, yeah. If you go the cheap route, get a fine set, not coarse. It will be harder for you to take too much off that way.
If you are going to be doing a lot and buying quality, get coarse and fine.
I've been on trips before and picked up guns that needed a li'l smiffin' and just picked up cheap files to do what was needed. They will do the job as well, but just won't last for squat.

Templator
April 06, 2002, 19:17
One of the best things that I've ever found at Harbor Freight is needle files. They sell a pack of needle files,..12 in all,.. about 4" long,.. in all configurations,.. half round, triangular,.. knife,.. flat,.. for $3.99. I bought one pack at first,.. thought they might be junk,.. but they're great! I buy 3 or 4 packs at a time whenever I'm over there.