PDA

View Full Version : RECIVERS

cushe
April 06, 2002, 14:51
Is there any difference in a Imbel logo and a Imbel non logo?

FAL guy
April 06, 2002, 15:02
Originally posted by cushe:
<STRONG>Is there any difference in a Imbel logo and a Imbel non logo?</STRONG>

Yep....the logo! :D

Wadman
April 06, 2002, 16:14
Cosmetically, some people prefer the Gear logo because it looks nicer than the marks (for lack of a better word) applied by Century Arms.

SHOOTER762
April 07, 2002, 11:36
I would think they both would be the same, but I have heard that many have had trouble with Imbel rec w/o gear logo.

I have also heard that there is a quality control issue on the non-gear logo recievers.

To be on the safe side I got a gear logo reciever from Dealer's Wherehouse which looks to be a top notch excellent product.

Richard Bird
April 07, 2002, 20:16
Actually, the gear logoed Imbels have distortion on their rear tang causing binding of the bolt in that area, so if one were to believe what's written on these boards there are absolutely no good FAL receivers of any make after the seeming inclination of many to bad mouth other makes or retaliate with unsubstantiated rumor for crtitcism of their own.
In short, the Imbels whether Gear logo or not are made in an FN licensed facility and therefore superior to domestic mfg receivers,
although DSA's are supposedly based upon FN blueprints and have better quality control than Enterprise. The FAC Coonan made type1's have received good reviews also, but I would put them slightly behind DSA only due to the short history.
So, my ranking:
Imbel (non-gear type1)
Imbel (gear type1)
DSA (all types)
FAC Coonan (type1)
Enterprise (all types)

Upside Down @ 100 MPH
April 07, 2002, 20:30
Originally posted by Richard Bird:
<STRONG>In short, the Imbels whether Gear logo or not are made in an FN licensed facility and therefore superior to domestic mfg receivers,

So, my ranking:
Imbel (non-gear type1)
Imbel (gear type1)
DSA (all types)
FAC Coonan (type1)
Enterprise (all types)</STRONG>

I couldn't disagree more. The DSA's are the best. They cost 375 dollars but are worth every penny. Every one I have bought was perfect in every way, dimensionally and cosmetic's wise. I don't care about some FN licensed plant. Have you looked at some of the reviews the Imbels have been getting lately?

My ranking of the receivers I have built on:
1. DSA-far and away the best.
2. Imbel-a distant 2nd
3. Enterprise-a very distant 3rd, get ready to do some home gunsmithing on it before it works right.

I can't speak for the others because I haven't built on 'em.

Richard Bird
April 07, 2002, 20:44
Yes, I am familiar with the recent "Imbel" quality issue and understand that there is some question as to whether these CAI contrivancies are of true Imbel mfg and am of the opinion that they are in fact an in house product stamped in jigs using similar dot matrix enscription as on the non-gear loged Imbels and thus the confusion.
Originally posted by Upside Down @ 100 MPH:
<STRONG>
I don't care about some FN licensed plant. Have you looked at some of the reviews the Imbels have been getting lately?
</STRONG>

cc48510
April 07, 2002, 23:30
I've been wondering which Receivers are good and bad. How would you rate the following ? What Issues ? Can they be cured with a Dremel ?

DSA Type 01, 02, 03
Entreprise Type 01, 02, 03, G1, Israeli
Dan Coonan Type 01
CAI, KY Imports, Gear Logo IMBEL
Hesse
Armscorp
Olympic Arms
William Arms

[ April 08, 2002: Message edited by: cc48510 ]

Blag
April 08, 2002, 12:38
Originally posted by cc48510:
I've been wondering which Receivers are good and bad. How would you rate the following ? What Issues ? Can they be cured with a Dremel ?

Well......

***DSA Type 01, 02, 03

Top rated. Gunplumber says they sometimes need a little work, but are consistent in the work they need, so they're easy for a 'smith to deal with. Once in a while a problem with one will be mentioned, but that's rare. (The Type 3 isn't available yet from DSA, but should come to market this spring, we're told.)

***Entreprise Type 01, 02, 03, G1, Israeli

Inconsistent quality control. Some are fine, some are not. Disliked by 'smiths, because it's unpredictable what work they'll need or how much work, or whether the receiver will need to be returned.

***Dan Coonan Type 01

Some early reviews of the FAC receiver have been favorable, but they're still an unknown quantity at this point.

***CAI, KY Imports, Gear Logo IMBEL

Good receivers, some issues mentioned here and there. Probably the "plain vanilla" standard by which others are judged.

***Hesse

Good exercise, builds muscle tone, increases heart rate. Also provides the opportunity to use those words you're not allowed to say in polite company.

***Armscorp

Not often mentioned. Not worth the high price, recent ones possibly not as good as the earlier ones, are the comments I seem to recall.

***Olympic Arms

Not worth bothering with.

***William Arms

Quite fascinating both as an objet d'art and also from the legal perspective.

FAL guy
April 08, 2002, 13:05
Originally posted by Richard Bird:
<STRONG>Actually, the gear logoed Imbels have distortion on their rear tang causing binding of the bolt in that area,</STRONG>

The distortion issue:the Gear Logo actually being marked so deeply that it projects into the bolt carrier rails causing an impediment to bolt carrier movement. I Built one several months ago, and had no problem whatsoever. Gunplumber feels it enough of an issue the he files the ride side to eliminate any possible high spots.

I just finished an Entreprise type 3 build with the only problem being that the barrel timed at 9:30 initially.

just my 2 cents

Pete2
April 08, 2002, 13:10
I built mine on a non-gear Imbel. Works like a champ, I've had no problems that were related to the receiver. Just some hammer/sear problems long since fixed.

UCANRUN
April 09, 2002, 19:05
does anyone have any experience with the receivers that ky imports has, i believe it says they are US made under license from FN by IE.A.I.

thanx
ucanrun

kfranz
April 09, 2002, 19:38
Originally posted by UCANRUN:
<STRONG>does anyone have any experience with the receivers that ky imports has, i believe it says they are US made under license from FN by IE.A.I.

thanx
ucanrun</STRONG>

There are no US made FN licensed receivers. E.A.I. stands for Entreprise...

crapgame
April 09, 2002, 20:28
Have three Imbels over the last three years and were easy as apple pie!

Entreprise I have built four and find that they are just a little work and are far easier to build that most of the reviews that have been posted and several of my friends have the 01 and have no problems either. I believe the issue is how much money did you spend and what is the demand for the type of Entreprise receiver at the time of purchase. The reasoning behind this is if Entreprise needs to mass produce then the quality will go down and if the demand is to low????

I am building a type 01 and it will be on Laurences companies 01 and will pay for him and Albert to check the tolerances so I get their best of the sample lot! In either case it will be cheaper for me to do this than to buy a DSA receiver.

I say Laurence's company because he seems to be very business minded in pleaseing the customer and is solidly concsiencetious in long term survival of Entreprise. DSA is very good but Entreprise catching up quickly.

There are no contenders between the two and I would hate the fact that DSA will corner the market.

Just my two cents.

cc48510
April 09, 2002, 21:30
Originally posted by kfranz:
<STRONG>

There are no US made FN licensed receivers. E.A.I. stands for Entreprise...</STRONG>

EA stands for Entreprise Arms. I have no idea who IE.A.I. is, but KY Imports lists the following on their web site.

http://noreno.no-ip.com:800/kyimports_small.png

rob1
April 10, 2002, 08:11
That is what their advertisements say, but it is Entreprise they are talking about. Where they got the "licensed by FN" part, I don't know.
I have built two rifles on Entreprise Type 3s, without incident. The last one was from our local group buy, and I dealt directly with Lawrence, who said that he checked them all personally. We built about twelve or so, no issues in the lot.

HD99FXR3
April 10, 2002, 08:31
FWIW DSA receivers take all the fun out of building FALs, theres no excitment or cussing, just put on the barrel,check headspace ( locking shoulder in the kit has given me 3 builds without the need to find a different size LS ) pull the trigger, B A N G. any problems i encountered were gas related issues. where is the fun in that. :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

if you don't have the money for DSA wait until you do, you won't be sorry.