PDA

View Full Version : Replacing charging handle knob

Slugger
September 12, 2001, 21:05
Looks like the part inside the STG black plastic knob or the G1 aluminum knob is a press in fit. Can I just drive out the old one and hammer in the new one? Or will I damage the ID of this part by hamering the old one out?

Thanks

EMDII
September 12, 2001, 21:12
Cross-pin. Drive out, get a new knob from Dave1 (Dave Schneider). He makes excellent delrin, IIRC, replacements. Dan@VOW also makes excellent replacements.

Post a WTB on Marketplace.

Derby FALs
September 12, 2001, 21:21
It's flattened out rivet type. If you drill it just a little it will pop out easy. Don't drill too much and you can reuse it. When you put the new one in, mushroom it out, from behind, with a center punch to stake it in.

[ September 12, 2001: Message edited by: Derby FALs ]

EMDII
September 12, 2001, 21:48
Derby is MOST correct!
:D

My FALO CH uses a cross pin.

Dave provides a new retainer w/ his CH. I believe Dan does too.

Slugger
September 13, 2001, 09:22
Thanks for the info. DSA provided the replacement parts. I'm just trying to get the old one out without ruining the charging handle slide.

TooTech
September 13, 2001, 16:44
Derby:

What size drill bit do you recommend?

TerryB
September 13, 2001, 21:38
I have an Imbel kit and the black plastic charging handle knob is a little rough. I see via the Imbel manual (the text is in Spanish but the pictures are in English) there is a pin through the charger that holds the knob retainer in place which I should be able to remove. Where can I get a new black plastic charging knob (or a wood reproduction) without having to buy the whole charger?

Mosin Guy
September 13, 2001, 21:48
www.dsarms.com (http://www.dsarms.com) They have the brand new Knobs and the rivets.HTH

Sgt Rock
September 13, 2001, 22:03
Terry B
I believe the pin you are referring to holds the detent pin in place. After the pin is driven out the detent and spring come out and then what holds the the black plastic knob in place is a rivet. Earlier in this post was an excellent instruction (by Derby FALs)for removing and reusing the original rivet.

Slugger
September 18, 2001, 20:56
I must be daft but mine won't drill out easily. What size drill bit are ya'll using? If I use a small one it is difficult to center. My guess is that you want to use the biggest bit that will fit inside the area the spring/detent go.

If you drill it correctly, should the rivit fall out on it's own?

Guess it's time for me to sharpen my drill bits.

Derby FALs
September 18, 2001, 23:14
I think I was using a #7 bit. I drill a little to get the edges and pop it out with a small punch. You shouldn't have to drill much.

Slugger
September 18, 2001, 23:23
Drill a little try to punch it out . . . nothing. Drill a little more try to punch it out . . . bend crappy punch. Straighten punch out drill more . . . and again and again. So far charging handle knob rivit 2.5 Slugger .5.

So how much do those charging handles go for anyway? Looks like I'm gonna find out soon enough.

Derby FALs
September 19, 2001, 15:26
Any luck, Slugger?

Slugger
September 20, 2001, 11:20
Ha, yeah I got luck . . . but it's all bad.

Sometimes learning is expensive.