PDA

View Full Version : WAY OT: M1A rechambering

BlueDuck
April 06, 2002, 10:14
Gals and Gents,
Do you think it would be possible to rechamber the M1A to the new 300WSM? The idea just popped into my head, but I don't have a current manual with the pressure/dimmension specs on the 300WSM to do a comparison. It would be prett cool if it would work. Thanks for any opinions and facts.

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]

capman
April 06, 2002, 10:44
Isn't an M1A1 a tank?

cap

BlueDuck
April 06, 2002, 11:00
Brain Fart :o
Meant to say an M1A or the M14 civilian version made by Springfield Armory. You know, the gas operated, 7.62mm, magazine fed rifle that lots of people use to shoot highpower matches. Sorry if there was any confusion.

drcolossus
April 06, 2002, 23:08
Why,why,why,why...............why?

Celticjedi
April 06, 2002, 23:11
Originally posted by drcolossus:
<STRONG>Why,why,why,why...............why?</STRONG>

Why indeed!

xtremerange
April 06, 2002, 23:18
Why?

To have something different, something unique. Although personnaly I wouldn't touch the thing, I competely understand the need to play with it.

I gotta imagine you would have to work with the gas port sizes on the barrel and the bottom of the gas cylinder to get the gas cylinder velocity down to normal. Have a few spare op rods around to replace the ones you bend during the experimentation phase.

BlueDuck
April 06, 2002, 23:49
Why???
Why in the hell do we build a rifle from a parts kit when we can buy one already put together and that shoots? Why do I reload ammo when I can buy perfectly good loaded ammo on the market? Why do people buy .50BMG bolt guns? Why do you need a machine gun? Who knows? Personaly, I think it would be a great 1000m paper puncher (if I could shoot that good). Would shoot a little flatter than 7.62, more whump, more noise, more flash, different, pretty neato, etc, etc.....So, does anyone have any speculation if it would/could work????
PS...I don't even own a M14/M1A, just a thought rolling around in my noggin ;)

Double G Gunsmithing
April 07, 2002, 12:19
Hell,

When he first posted an "M1A1", I was thinking he wanted a real bad assed folding stocked M1 Carbine "AIRBORNE ! " :D

No "flame", just joking :cool:

Sincerely, George L. Gouger
Life Member NRA Since 1969 http://www.doubleggunsmithing.com