PDA

View Full Version : G-1 Carbine- Possible?

BUFF
September 11, 2001, 01:05
I think I want a short-barreled G-1, that has the barrel lug so I can attach the attachments, or at least contemplate it. Grenade launcher, blank firing adapter, modified flash hider, all that cool stuff that makes a G-1 a G-1.

I guess it would involve chopping the barrel to the desired length, then grinding the leftover barrel end away leaving the lug (I've done similar work with fixed sight revolvers and their sight blades and bases).

Could you do this securely? Could the lug, after being ground and filed and sanded to fit tightly against the contour of the shorter barrel, be soldered or tig-welded or something? I know the parkerizing would have to be removed where the lug would go, no big deal as the attachment would cover the lug area anyway.

RKIs?

BUFF
September 12, 2001, 19:28
btt- suggestions?

Turk
September 12, 2001, 20:04
I think that I'd experiment with a non G1 shortened bbl, and weld a piece of plate cut near to the size of a lug to the bbl at the appropriate distance (and radial) from the end, then machine (drimel?) the lug to the appropriate size. That way, if it doesn't work, you still have the original G1 bbl to use. I suspect that after this batch of bbls get consumed, these are going to be one of the rarer bbls.

TooTech
September 13, 2001, 17:09
Why weld? Wouldn't silver soldering a piece of steel shaped using your DREMEL get the job done?

Turk
September 13, 2001, 21:20
A fair amount of torque can be applied to the lug during removal of your barrel "thingee(s)". I have doubts that it would last in that application with solder only holding it on.