W.E.G.
September 10, 2001, 23:04
left to right:
Chilean Imbel, South African R1 plastic, , STG-58, South African R1 wood

note longer R1 plastic stock

http://www.clark.net/pub/warwick1/stocks.jpg

MG-70
September 12, 2001, 11:49
Quite a difference, Gary...I kept reading "long buttstock," but until you see it side by side with a regular one, you don't really know what it's like.

How tall are you and do you find it's quicker to "shoulder?"

Thanks,
MG-70

PS. Now stop showing off and put away your toys ;)

TooTech
September 13, 2001, 17:35
What ???!!!

No CARBINES??!!!! :eek:

Snakeshot
September 13, 2001, 18:28
I love the R1 buttstock.
Keeps me spectacles from gettin' scratched.

Just don't try to match the background to the camo. :eek:

FN74
September 14, 2001, 01:58
I have since gotten two long wood R1 stocks. One is real long - as long as the plastic ones, and the other is 1/2 inch shorter than the long stock.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=846879&a=8181211&p=47670366

W.E.G.
September 14, 2001, 14:40
I'm 5'11". So far, the only FAL stock I have found to be awkward was the first-generation Century stock with iron sights.

How fast the rifle "shoulders" seems to be more a function of choice of sling or carry-strap than length of stock.

Viking Warrior
September 14, 2001, 21:32
Well, That proves it, Mine is bigger...LOL :D

LVACGAR
September 14, 2001, 21:56
Aren't there different lengths of R1 stocks, and even R1 buttpads?

Derby FALs
September 14, 2001, 23:03
I got my R1 stock from Tapco today. Looks like Freddy Krueger had a go at it. I wrote them an email and I hope they swap it for me.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/DerbyFALs/R1_2.jpg

[ September 16, 2001: Message edited by: Derby FALs ]

Radio
September 15, 2001, 14:00
Uhh... apologies, but what's wrong with the R1 stock above? Perhaps the photo isn't showing certain damage, but it sure looks normal to me. Just like a few of mine. Just use a knife/gasket scraper/etc to even out the boo-boo on the bottom near the sling swivel, then have at it with sandpaper. Possibly bead-blast afterwards. Voila! Did somebody scratch "daddy" into your stock? That's sorta kewl; gives it character. Most of these old R1s are gonna be rather beat-up anyway; the trouble to you and TAPCO to find a better replacement probably isn't worth what you paid for it. Work with what you got or get a Penguin, JMHO.

I've never seen long R1 wood, but have a few long plastic R1 stocks. I'm 6'1" tall and am not comfortable with the length of pull; I prefer to crowd up closer to the rear sight. (Not bad with a SUIT, however.) With iron sights, the standard-pull Belgian/StG-style stock fits best for me, certainly better than your run-of-the-mill AK or 10-22.

FN74
September 16, 2001, 01:49
Originally posted by Radio:
<STRONG>Uhh... apologies, but what's wrong with the R1 stock above? Perhaps the photo isn't showing certain damage, but it sure looks normal to me. Just like a few of mine. Just use a knife/gasket scraper/etc to even out the boo-boo on the bottom near the sling swivel, then have at it with sandpaper. Possibly bead-blast afterwards. Voila! Did somebody scratch "daddy" into your stock? That's sorta kewl; gives it character. Most of these old R1s are gonna be rather beat-up anyway; the trouble to you and TAPCO to find a better replacement probably isn't worth what you paid for it. Work with what you got or get a Penguin, JMHO.

I've never seen long R1 wood, but have a few long plastic R1 stocks. I'm 6'1" tall and am not comfortable with the length of pull; I prefer to crowd up closer to the rear sight. (Not bad with a SUIT, however.) With iron sights, the standard-pull Belgian/StG-style stock fits best for me, certainly better than your run-of-the-mill AK or 10-22.</STRONG>

I have a long R1 wood , it is teh same length as the long plastic stock. Nice and thick...

I'll post a pic tommorrow.

;)