PDA

View Full Version : CIA L1A1 Franken Clone Receiver feed ramp question

radom11
September 10, 2001, 16:54
Well one of my friends went and did the unthinkable this weekend, he paid real dollars for one of the Century Inch L1A1 Sportier things at the “sucker” Oh I mean the gun show...
The think actually fires and no secondary explosions and that is something to talk about in itself.

Now on to the serious side, the receiver looks like its a cast not a bad job of it and it has the detent and the Inch charging handle, barrel, bolt and carrier (Sand Cut) have what look like British markings lower is Inch type.
The main hassle is that as compared to a metric Imbel (all of my FAL’s) the feed ramp or lack of one is quite evident, the existing one has one scallop but it sure looks like the bullet tips are being deformed as one can see the brass marks on the left and right of the one center scallop, I removed the firing pin and hand cycled about 5 rounds and Yes the tips are being deformed.

Is this one of the Hesse CIA contract receivers, if so how can a company let this type of “defect” out the door and what is the best way to correct this problem?

Oh BTW the box with the fancy CIA bar codes stated this was refinished, just watch out for Gun Scrubber as it cuts the flat black “refinishing” paint just fine clear to the rusty metal….

radom 11 :D
Home of the best m44 on the planet

amstel78
November 25, 2001, 14:32
Good question. I got one of these too, and did notice the tips being a little deformed.

Does anyone have an answer?

DJ
November 25, 2001, 14:42
Radom......does it feed at all? I have a Century l1a1 that was built on a Hesse receiver. It wouldn't feed no matter what was done to it. Sent it back to Century twice and I could see where they were using a dremel or a die grinder on the feed ramps. :eek: It never did feed properly :mad: so I had it rebuilt on an Imbel receiver. Now it's a good shooter.

amstel78
November 25, 2001, 15:48
What receiver is it?

W.E.G.
November 25, 2001, 18:50
Just one scallop???

Man, that sucks!

Good news is that IT DOES NOT MATTER if it is "deforming" the bullet tips. I've lost track of how many articles I have read on whether accuracy is affected by damage to the tip of the bullet. The veridct is unanimous. ACCURACY IS NOT AFFECTED BY DEFORMED BULLET TIPS. "Its hard to believe what we are reporting here. But, it does seem to be a fact."

If that Century "crack-ho" functions, count your blessings, and keep loading them mags.

Tman
November 26, 2001, 10:52
http://www.printroom.com/_vti_bin/ViewImage.dll?userid=turkmcl&album_id=31216&image_id=10&courtesy=1
A Century inch receiver feed ramp. Nothing unusual about the slight deformation of the bullet tips. A bit of polishing as shown here will help all things. These receivers are adequate and work quite well.

[ November 26, 2001: Message edited by: Tman ]

amstel78
November 26, 2001, 12:32
Thanks Tman for the picture. That's what I was looking for in my post in GD. Anyway, I like the Century receiver, considering it was cheap and looks to be well machined. Haven't shot mine yet, but don't expect to have too many problems.

BTW, just out of curiosity.. my receiver is in the NC0001XX range. It's under 200.. what's yours? I guess we're guinnea pigs. :D

radom11
November 26, 2001, 17:05
DJ
Yes it feeds but it was a bit picky on mags.
I have since found that problem it was a small bump in the mag well that I have stoned flat and now it will take all Inch mags, still a bit rough using metrics...

I still find it hard to accept the fact that you had to replace the receiver at your cost to make what is obviously a DEFECTIVE CENTURY ARMS product that you paid for WORK CORRECTLY. :mad:

amstel78

I have no idea who made the receiver it just has a Century Arms cast into it, I was informed that this may be a "Hess Hassle" contract job for Century, and so far they have not fesed up to the origin.
Thinking about it again and after making a comparison against a known Hesse Hassle this Century looks like a beauty queen in comparison to the Hesse. :cool:

"King of Dremel"
One must bow to the almighty “Rotary”…. :D

How right you are it is a blessing that it actually works! :p

Tman
Thank you for the great picture showing the "culprit" situation...

It looks like what you did will alleviate the problem, it looks like you expanded the central scallop and then put in a bit more curve into the left and right mini ramps?

What TOOLS did you use to polish that feed ramp, or did you grind first? :D

:D radom11

W.E.G.
November 25, 2002, 13:34
...a topic of recent discussion.

bump