PDA

View Full Version : Methelyne Chloride for Paint Removal - Help

Big Dog
September 10, 2001, 13:08
I picked up some of this stuff. It is used to strip paint from airplanes.

Has any one used this? Precautions? Tips?

Yes, I am done having kids....

Keith (Big Dog)
kewalsh@prodigy.net

Gavin
September 10, 2001, 17:10
Stuff is very volatile, and ignites easily (its actually used as a carrier for CS gas, many beleive this is what caused the fire at WACO)... anyway - use in a well ventilated area!
Gavin

Uncle Buck
September 10, 2001, 18:46
Gavin,
Although methylene chloride (aka dichloromethane) is very volatile, it is not flammable under normal temperatures and pressures. I though you were an O chemist mate. It is very good at removing paint and grease. Dimethylformamide is a decent paint remover too. Methylene chloride is mildly carcinogenic so wear your respirator.

Big Dog
September 10, 2001, 19:20
Respirator?

It says to wear gloves and skin cancer on the label.

What kind or type should I use? Any ideas on cost or source?

thanks,

Keith (Big Dog)
kewalsh@prodigy.net

Uncle Buck
September 10, 2001, 20:22
I was just reading the respirator warning that it says on the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for methylene chloride. This is not advice, but when I use this stuff at home, I just use it outdoors and make sure that I am up wind.

Stranger
September 10, 2001, 20:39
As a chemist, I practically bath in the stuff. Before they called it a carcinogenic, people used it all the time. It was used as a paint thinner. It really is not a problem for careful use. A note of caution though, regular latex gloves do not keep the solvent from your skin. If you want to keep it off of your hands you will have to get Nitrile gloves, and I recommend that you use thick rubber gloves over them (or just use two thick rubber gloves). It will beat the crap out of gloves, so you will need to change them often. Prolonged exposure will cause sensitization. If you become sensitized to it through repeated exposure, you will get this burning, tingling sensation that can really hurt. I am now to the point that a drop on my hand will cause my entire hand to feel like it is on fire. Don't think of dipping your hand in it. The methylene chloride will evaporate so fast you will think that you just stuck your hand in liquid nitrogen or grabbed a big chunk of dry-ice. Think of it as really strong "Ice-Hot." As the last post said, use it in a well ventilated area. Finally, do not let a drop of it hit the ground and don't let any of it go into the sewer. If anyone finds out you were using it and contaminated soil or ground water, you will get a hefty fine (OU was accessed a $15,000 fine for methylene chloride contaminated waste water coming out of the chem department). One drop in something like 10,000 gallons is considered contamination of those 10,000 gallons of water. The ppm they allow is itty-bitty. It works really well though. Good luck.

[ September 10, 2001: Message edited by: Stranger ]

medicmike
September 10, 2001, 21:23
I used the same thing to strip my R1, didn't hurt the plastic on the stocks and works great. I have stripped quite a few airplanes with it too. Try a test spot where it won't show if you are going to use it on any plastics, it can sure wipe out a $500 airplane windshield in a hurry!

JimM
September 11, 2001, 08:20
Big Dog,

MC is used in common paint strippers like Stripeeze. Works great on most paints and varnishes, but won't work on epoxy paint.