PDA

View Full Version : Forgive my rank ignorance and newbieness, but...

Jarhead
September 10, 2001, 12:34
If I've got an StG-58 kit, a new Imbel receiver, a US made hammer, trigger, sear, pistol grip, gas piston, cocking handle and muzzle brake, what might I find out I'm in need of when I get the receiver stub off the barrel and try to assemble this thing? Also, should my kit have included the other half of the receiver, or are they usually discarded?

I'd like to avail myself of the hundreds of man-years of WECSOGing on the board, so please chime in with suggestions.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif

W.E.G.
September 10, 2001, 12:50
Complete kit building instructions at: http://www.cruffler.com/trivia-April01.html

Jarhead
September 10, 2001, 12:52
Thanks gary. I'm thinking more along the lines of hard-won advice like, "Dude! You don't have an extra .035"x.65" roll pin? You're Hosed! Call TAPCO and beg for an overnight shipment."

mp
September 10, 2001, 14:26
Receiver chunk is usually dremeled--careful not to damage threads. If you come the park n party, there will be extra parts, just in case.

Rear receiver chunk is usally non-existent.

Fallschirmjager
September 10, 2001, 15:11
Jarhead, I can tell you this. You will get no greater sense of satisfaction, nor feeling of acomplishment than when you have built your rifle. Especally when someone at the range asks where you got your rifle, and you reply " I built it myself." The look on their face speeks volumes.

Myself and 1gewer built my first FAL this past weekend. And after all the work, going to the range and touching off rounds on what was a pile of parts 24 hours before is un-freekin real!

I have an L1A1 that I love to shoot. It has been rebarreled and refinished with the official British finish, new in the armory wrap plastic furnature, etc. It looks newly manufactured. But this FAL, which needs refinishing, was a bit more fun to shoot knowing that we built it...and it worked! :D

Warning: You will get hooked. :)

Jarhead
September 10, 2001, 15:19
Originally posted by Fallschirmjager:
<STRONG>Warning: You will get hooked. :)</STRONG>

Ohhhhh good, my wife will be glad to hear that!
:D :p :D :p

ByronF
September 10, 2001, 15:37
Dude, you don't have an extra $5K and your own FFL? You're HOSED!

If your US made piston isn't a DSA you might consider having the original handy. There is at least one domestic piston mfg that has trouble getting them straight/round/correct diameter. Do a search for 'bent piston' if you want to know who it is. I don't wanna get into trouble. :rolleyes:

Snakeshot
September 10, 2001, 17:10
You've already stuck your toe in the water, so now it's time to just jump in.

Plenty of help to be had here when you have "challenges". :)

K. Funk
September 10, 2001, 18:38
It's been said a thousand times before, but I highly recommend you buy Gunplumber's tape for $25. Aside form the highly knowledgeable folks here, it was the tape that ultimately conviced me that I could do it. That was 6 FAL's ago ;) . Good luck!!

krf

RL216
September 10, 2001, 20:34
Dude,
I second the buying of GP's video. Be prepared ...... 6 full hours viewing.

lostone
September 10, 2001, 20:40
Jarhead what tools do you have? that you know that you will need to do the job. This might be a good place to start, getting started on something and not being able to finish it because you dont have all of the tools can be a very big pain in the butt.

Derby FALs
September 10, 2001, 21:12
By the video :D

Bubba
September 11, 2001, 08:19
The biggest source of frustration is when you try to time the barrel with common hand tools. I wish I would have bought my barrel blocks and receiver wrench a long time ago. The GunPlumber has a nice set of barrel blocks for a good price. I built my receiver wrench out of oak. Someday I'll graduate to an aluminum wrench. Don't forget a massive vise for holding it still, then maybe some barrel rosin.
If you find that your missing a pin, look through your box full of misc. nails and cut to fit.
When all else fails resort to Dremmel and big hammer!