PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Locking Shoulder Removal

Bob Bishop
September 10, 2001, 11:19
What is the correct method for removing the locking shoulder from my group-buy Imbel parts kit receiver? Simply place it in the old vise and whack it out from left to right? Should I use a round nose punch or will a typical flat nose punch work best? Freeze/heat it first...???

Thanks!

Bob

PS: I am building my first FAL. Gunplumber is getting his well deserved $10 for the shareware he makes available.

W.E.G.
September 10, 2001, 11:36
A BFH and a brass punch work great. Since the part holding the locking shoulder is of no value, there is no need to protect it.

You might want to support the receiver stub across a couple blocks of wood so that the locking shoulder has someplace to exit.

If you mash your thumb with the hammer, you can zip right in the door of WECSOG without anybody even checking your ID.

FALSTEN
September 10, 2001, 13:33
Hey Bob,
Haven't done this exact operation before, but I know on the installation side a dead blow hammer is helpful. Pressing it in (or out, I would assume) is a great way to go if you have access to a press, or can rig your vise to do it.

HTH
Chris in AL

63DH8
September 13, 2001, 00:08
Works like a charm! :D
Harbor Freight Tools Arbor Press (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3551) $20

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/03500-03599/03551.gif

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: 63DH8 ]

crffl
September 13, 2001, 07:22

What's used at the end that does the pushing ?

Does it take some sort of insert or is it just flat ?

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: crffl ]

Dave1
September 13, 2001, 08:05
It's just flat at the end, no inserts
Dave

stimpsonjcat
September 13, 2001, 09:22
Awwww phooey!

I just ordered some stuff from harbor and this would have been on the order had i seen it. Thanks for the heads up...I'll get it next time.

crffl
September 13, 2001, 12:56
OK, I'm being thick headed today.

If the end is just flag, and it looks to be larger than the locking shoulder, what do you put between the two so it can press it through ?

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: crffl ]

Mosin Guy
September 13, 2001, 13:23
I would say probably a bolt smaller in diameter then the locking shoulder diameter or a small punch smaller in diameter than the locking shoulder so that it can go through the receiver.HTH

63DH8
September 17, 2001, 16:13
Sorry for not getting back at yall on this. I used a Allen screwdriver insert to break the locking shoulder loose. From there, a long small diameter bolt. I tried using a punch, but it bent under the pressure.

S.Kargoh
September 17, 2001, 22:52
I had 3 to do, and no time to be tap, tap, a tappin' away. So....

I took them to a local machine shop, who pressed them out for 5 bucks, in 5 minutes.

Radio
September 17, 2001, 23:03
Geez guys!!! :D It only takes about 60 seconds per locking shoulder! Whack! Whack! Whack! Plop! You're done.

If somebody BENT a punch, they used a too-small punch. Good gravy, a 1/4" fits just fine, if you can bend one of those it's because you've obviously spent the day forging iron or something. Give me a call, I've got some house projects for ya. ;)

Oh, and by the way, when knocking out your locking shoulder, make ABSOLUTELY SURE you have enough clearance for the side tab; as Gunplumber says, "ask me how I know." (Actually it wasn't me but I witnessed the horrid deed. True WECSOG tradition at least, "ruin a perfectly good part.")

--Radio

63DH8
September 18, 2001, 00:13
But it was a 1/4 inch punch! :D I used to have a job in the Army pounding square pegs into round holes with a 3lb sledge hammer. :cool:

xcpd69
September 18, 2001, 00:30
Originally posted by 63DH8:
<STRONG>But it was a 1/4 inch punch! :D I used to have a job in the Army pounding square pegs into round holes with a 3lb sledge hammer. :cool:</STRONG>

Was this before, or after they grabbed you for OCS? Obviously qualified for high command.

:p

63DH8
September 18, 2001, 00:40
Originally posted by cpd69:
<STRONG>

Was this before, or after they grabbed you for OCS? Obviously qualified for high command.

:p</STRONG>

They tried twice to get me to go OCS. I took the tests, but escaped both times. They wouldn't let me take my hammer! :cool: