PDA

View Full Version : Easy question - sight spring removal

HelluvaEngineer
April 05, 2002, 10:26
Hi guys. I need to ask a stupid question here. I just refinished an SKS, and everything is fine except for the rear sight leaf spring, which was damaged in the process. I need to remove the spring from one of my spares and put it on the refinished rifle.

On the SKS, what is the easiest way to remove this spring intact? Does the sight itself need to be removed first? I assume the spring just drives forward once the sight is removed (and therefore the tension released).

I see the pin going through the sight base, but it didn't seem to come out easily with a drift. Am I missing something?

HelluvaEngineer
April 05, 2002, 16:14
C'Mon. No one has removed a standard ramp sight before?

blackbird
April 05, 2002, 16:49
Helluva...

Give me a few minutes and I'll go fetch an SKS and see if I can remember. What country of origin is yours?

blackbird
April 05, 2002, 16:58
Helluva...

Pin drifts from left side (may drift both ways but that is the way I tried). It is VERY tight. Sight comes off. There is a dimple in the leaf spring. Take a brass punch, hold it in this dimple, angle the top of the punch towards the buttstock end and tap it. The leaf fits in a cutout slot at the rear of the base. Mine did not slide out under finger pressure alone.

This is for Russian which was closest to the vault door. If this doesn't sound like yours, holler.

Hope this helps.

HelluvaEngineer
April 05, 2002, 17:06
Thank you much!

Mine is a Romanian, but I think they are the same. The pin in the sight would not budge this morning. I will try when I get home to tap it from the left and see if it gives.

blackbird
April 05, 2002, 17:15
Helluva...

Don't have a Romanian (yet) but it should be similar. Let me know.

Regards

HelluvaEngineer
April 05, 2002, 21:46
Thanks for your help blackbird. I wound up beating the crap out of the pin with a steel drift and it did no good. I dremeled the pin down, removed the sight, cleaned it up with a file and reinstalled. There was NO MOVING that pin.

Thanks again for your help.

blackbird
April 05, 2002, 23:35
Helluva...

Sorry to hear about that ornery pin. Hope the spring came out OK. Glad to hear it's done.

Speaking of pins... I just finished an AK-74 from a Bulgarian demilled kit (NEVER, EVER WILL I DO THAT AGAIN!... but that's another story). Anyhow, the barrel pin would not budge. Broke punches, etc. Finally put it on a hydraulic press. It finally broke at 14 tons and sounded like a firecracker! When the former communist countries said "interference fit" they were talking about a one way ticket! Guess I can't blame them for what was meant to be a disposable gun.