PDA

View Full Version : What are the critical dimensions for a shorty gas system?(DSA Length handguards)

Grail
April 05, 2002, 00:22
I have a barrel that got geeked up and I want to make it a shorty.What s the length from the face of the receiver/receiver side of barrel shoulder to the front and rear of a metric gas block/retaining pin location on the DSA style shorty system?I have it chucked in the lathe as we speak and would like to begin as soon as possible.

Thanks

Grail
April 05, 2002, 23:41
I know half a dozen of you guys have done these.

Could somebody help a brutha out?

Deltaten
April 06, 2002, 07:15
Grail:
The only "critical" dimension I know of is the length! 16+ inches from closed bolt to muzzle. :)

The rest is "made to fit". If you're using a DSA short HG, just measure it (closely ;)), from the thrubolt to the rear flange, and add whatever thickness for the ring.

DSA's are longer than mine, from all appearances. I figger'd mine to stop at the point that the GB would "snug" up to the bbl w/o a flat; then added some (subtracted?) for the BFH fit. :D Mine's about 6 5/8", rcvr face to center of the HG bolt.

HTH,
Paul

Timber Wolf
April 06, 2002, 07:29
Somebody asked this just the other day and L/FN answered, you might do a search. Sounds kind of like something that might need to go in the FAQ section (so it will be there when I get ready to do one!).

Grail
April 06, 2002, 09:38
Originally posted by Timber Wolf:
<STRONG>Somebody asked this just the other day and L/FN answered, you might do a search. Sounds kind of like something that might need to go in the FAQ section (so it will be there when I get ready to do one!).</STRONG>

I did several searches using "shorty" "short gas system" "shortening gas tube" and came up with lot's of cool pics of everyone else's shorty's but not a set of dimensions.I suppose I could just measure handguards and do it like that.

I guess I was just making it more complicated than it needed to be.

Deltaten
April 06, 2002, 11:19
So Grail;

What'cha gonna do? Shorty short w/fake brake, or plain tube?

If you want to e-me about specs, general questions, OK. Mine's still working, as it has from the start!

Best,
Paul

Grail
April 07, 2002, 21:32
I think I am going to tig the old gas port closed and then turnit down and use a Belgian combo device for the muzzle attachment.