PDA

View Full Version : Oven Options for Baked-on Finishes?

perdurabo
April 04, 2002, 23:21
So I finally got my bottle of Norrells Moly Resin today and was going over my equipment...sandblaster, media, compressor, airbrush compressor, airbrush....oven. Hmm.

I screwed in a 21" Argentine barrel without a muzzle brake on it into an Imbel receiver and measured it. Just shy of 30". I then measured the longest internal diagonal in my kitchen oven. Slightly more than 28".

Looks like we have a problem, Houston.

So, what the heck do I do here? What else can I use? I considered maybe going around to junk shops to find an old electric oven that has enough room inside to bake a barreled receiver and that I could throw out in the shop, but it seems like there should be a more elegant solution.

The propaganda tht came with the Norrell's mentions some kind of jury rigged setup where you take an old gym locker and weld in a toaster oven heating element into it, but that seems way too WECSOG for even me. I'd like a nice turnkey solution for this as I'm already jury rigging a lot of other tools.

Do most people who use baked-on finishes just happen to have really big kitchen ovens, or do they bake on the finish before timing their barrels (which seems like a bad idea)? Even when they do fit, exactly how do you support the parts in the oven? Do you hang them on wires and if so, how do you know what areas of the parts connect with the wires? What about small parts? Do those go in a wire basket?

Id like to have this build be as little trial and error as possible...

Many thanks in advance...

larphred
April 05, 2002, 09:49
I've used the kitchen oven, but my wife says the smell lingers for several days--stinky. A good suggestion I recently read here and which I intend to try is use my parkerizing tank with a piece of sheetmetal as a lid. Support the work in the tank with heavy wire and put a thermometer in to keep the temp as constant as possible. Turn on the burner and hope for the best.

3doghouse
April 05, 2002, 10:00
Go to The Eastwood Company (http://www.eastwoodco.com)

... and do a search for "infra"

They have a "INFRARED POWDER CURING SYSTEM" for powder coating that looks like it would do the trick. Expensive, but I think something very similar could be Wecsoged with common industrial supply items.

AZ Survivor1
April 05, 2002, 10:12
Starting on my first build, spent a couple of sleepless nites researching the archives (made a Word doc w/ the good stuff)

Here goes:
For those of you that don't get the Brownell's newsletter, there was an interesting tip in this issue. They suggest using a park or bluing tank with a lid over a heat source as an alternative to a pizza oven, (or hanging your gun half in and half out of the oven), for curing the the various bake on finishes. Seems like it might work if you can figure out a way to suspend it in the tank and regulate the heat. Fur sure it would keep the ol' lady from askin' "what's that smell?".

I had been trying to figure out two problems I saw in trying to use Gunkote or a similar finish. One was figuring out how to bake the parts without stinking up the house and having do placate my wife, the other was how to get a full sized barrel in the oven. A 21" barrel sticks out my oven about 6 inches. I tried a dry run today using a galvanized tank I got from doubleought and a piece of sheet metal for the top with a hole drilled that would allow me to insert a thermometer. With a BBQ as a heat source, it was pretty easy ot maintain +/- 25 degs. Now to coat a gun...

The barrel/receiever I did in two part segments because the whole thing would not fit into the oven all at once. First with the barrel deep into the oven with the oven door cracked open and receiver sticking out, an then the other way around with the receiver deep inside the oven and barrel sticking out... it work great, the finish is as durable at the rest of the parts.

One threah I read said to leave the oven door open, but cover the opening with tin-foil and moving blankets to help regulate heat.

Hope this helps, if insomnia hits, DO NOT spend the time in the archives!! You'll see the sun rise!! :)

armedpeasant
April 05, 2002, 11:02
I've considered building the gym locker type oven, but I haven't found a suitably cheap gym locker or similar metal cabinet. I also don't think that I have the extra room for one, so it's probably not an option for now.

I agree that finishing after barreling the action is the better way to go. Maybe you could try closing the oven as much as it will go with the barreled action inside, and then covering the gap between the door and the oven with foil, or something like that. It's hallf-assed, but it might work.

Fortunately, my two builds that I'm working on are carbines, and they should fit in my oven since I just fit a barreled K-31 action in there, a couple of days ago. Now that I look at my STG with zero climb MB, the barreled action is actually a little shorter than my K-31. My STG might actually fit, too. Mabe I have a slightly larger oven than you.

As far as hanging the parts goes, I've used Brownell's teflon/moly on an SAR-2, and I cured the parts right on the oven rack. It worked fine, with no grill marks or any other problems that I've noticed. That's what I'm planning on doing with the moly coat that's on the way from Norrell's.

shortround
April 05, 2002, 17:22
I was at home depot today and I think I am going to try to make a makeshift oven this way:

I bought some galvanized square furnace type ducting approx. 4"x12"x48" long. This came in two "L" shaped pieces. I'm going to cut and bend flaps at one end to close it off and hinge a flap at the other end for a door. I figured I'll drill two dowel holes near the "top", a few inches from the end, with it standing on the 4" side. I think by using baling wire bent in a "U" shape and looped over the dowels, I can suspend a barreled action on the inside. I'll either use a gas BBQ or a camp stove for the heat, which ever one gives more control. Sort of a WECSOG Easybake.

Snakeshot
April 05, 2002, 17:35
Go ahead and and put in there on the diagonal and make an aluminum foil shroud to cover the open door area.
The parts won't notice the difference. :)

Alaska Aviator
April 05, 2002, 18:25
In some ovens the floorplate between the broiler and range is attached with screws - mine comes right out - full length FAL barrel with brake goes right in!

:D
AA

JeffJ
April 05, 2002, 18:29
I had the same issue, but someone on this board had the answer.
Just pull all the racks out put it in corner to corner, then fill the gap with aluminum wrap...works great!!

rob1
April 05, 2002, 19:13
I did mine in the kitchen oven (when the wife was going to be gone a while!)just close the oven as much as possible, then use an old blanket or towels to drape over the open part, turn the heat up a little (maybe 50deg)higher than the suggested curing heat to make up for any lost heat. Worked just fine.

Doubleought
April 05, 2002, 20:43
OOOOOOH! You guys are really getting the wheels spinning in my head! :cool: ;)

Bigger_Is_Better
April 06, 2002, 03:00
I may have an idea for a heating element. I'm not sure how hot it gets though. My element in my electric clothes dryer went out last week and I had to replace it. The new one cost about $40 and slid right in. Anyway, the heating element is just a bunch of coiled wire and may be able to be WECSOGed into some sort of metal box. Just an idea.

stargazer
April 06, 2002, 05:34
For the small parts, just basically do them twice. Lay out facing one way and heat and spray then bake. Whenever you are ready pull tray, turn parts over and repeat.

Have FAN(s) and OPEN WINDOW ready to go BEFORE you start baking! Imagine heating up JB WELD on an exhaust manifold, it's that kinda smell. Ask me how I know, I still remember that headache to this day! Much worse than plastic grocery bag on exhaust. :eek:

Regal Beagal
April 06, 2002, 06:55
OH NO..... DBs Wheels are a turnin'. I bet I know what his next project is going to be. Jeff let me know when you have it all figured out. I'll be one of your ginney pigs. Oh.... another quality product produced by Double Ought. My wife is going to kill me..... RB

chunster
April 06, 2002, 07:40
I'm not sure this will work b/c I am going to try it but I think that if you can build a wooden or metal box and fill it with sand and heat the sand to 300+ F (the sand should retain the heat for the time you need to bake) then you could cover this with foil and use a heat lamp to keep the temp up. Any thoughts on this idea?

armedpeasant
April 06, 2002, 08:22
I think the toaster oven element sounds like a good plan for heating a curing oven. It should be simple to install, and it includes a thermostat. The thermostat might not be accurate, but you could figure out which setting gets you to 300 degrees by testing it out with an oven thermometer, which is recommended even for normal ovens. The elements were designed to heat a much smaller area than a curing oven suitable for rifles, so you would probably want to use elements from more than one toaster oven. You could probably find an old toaster oven on ebay that you could gut for not too much money.

Shortround's duct idea is really good, since a large enough metal cabinet may be hard to find or too expensive.

flyer05
April 06, 2002, 08:37
I don't know what temp. you are looking for. But we use an old refigerator for smoking. Just got one of those heating elements they have at cabella's for $30.- and it will keep the temp easily around 200 ( need to keep the door craked so it does not get to hot). You can suspend the whole setup by a wire and bake away.

just a thought. Oh don't forget to remove any plastic piece from inside the thing, it makes a mess.

jerrymrc
April 06, 2002, 08:50
think i will run down to home depot today and pick up some duct work. Had picked up the toster oven last year for $5 after a post about the gym locker oven. Still have not found the locker and if i took one from work it would be grand theft since i know the DOD spent a billion bucks on it :D
I can just see the bean counters at home depot trying to figure out why furnace duct has become a big seller :confused: If they only knew.... Also will pick up a $15 roll of fiberglass insulation to wrap around it.

[ April 06, 2002: Message edited by: jerrymrc ]

kendwell
April 10, 2002, 07:58
I paid a local pizza parlor $10 for an hour
and cleaned their oven good after. Long
oven makes it easy

mwolfe82
April 10, 2002, 09:17
In the past I have used an old industrial oven I picked up for a local restaurant for free for the smaller stuff, toaster oven for the real small, and the infared heater from Eastwood for large stuff. I would just stay away from gas ovens because read somewhere that the fumes do something to the coating, at least with powder coat.

kc8kk
April 11, 2002, 17:03
I saw a post a couple of weeks ago where a outdoor gas grill was used...

Troll
April 11, 2002, 17:51
Build a plywood box 2'longer than needed, on each end mount a light socket, screw a heat lamp bulb into each. You can make a removable frame with metal screen or a permanent one to allow parts to rest on and air/heat to flow to all areas. This type of "oven" will get plenty hot enough to do what you need. You can even control the heat by using a dimmer switch. Put an oven thermometer in the center and you're good to go.

OmegaMBR
April 12, 2002, 13:17
I just cut my g1 to 18" then it fit in my 28" oven. :D

why dont you take the barrel off the receiver and bake them.

perdurabo
April 12, 2002, 14:35
Wouldnt removing the barrel from an already timed and headspace receiver be a risky thing? Id have to re-time and re-headspace. If anything changed, Id have to hammer out the locking shoulder and find another one. or worse yet, have to shim my barrel for it to time correctly.

Or is that erally not likely to happen?