PDA

View Full Version : Deer hunting?

gunsap
June 21, 2006, 13:24
My 15 year old son and I just got our Deer tags for the first time ever, we are both really excited about taking a deer for the first time! What I would like to know has anyone here ever used a FAL to hunt deer and if so how effective was the .308 round? I would also like to know if anyone could point me in the right direction of a good book on how to clean and field dress a deer? Thanks for all the help you may provide gunsap :fal:

traines
June 21, 2006, 18:13
.308 should work find, I used and sometimes still do use my .303 british which is ballistically very similar and they make rounds spesifically for deer size game, however make sure your states ammo cap in rifles you may need a 5 rd mag.

English Mike
June 21, 2006, 18:44
A .308/7.62x51 JHP is going to drop any deer, providing your shot placement is good.

A quick "Google" of

"Field dressing" +deer

should find several good sites on cleaning & preserving your quarry.

Here's one for starters: http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/PDF/pub%20111.pdf

I found this site a good place to start for someone who has never hunted before:

http://homestudy.ihea.com/index.htm

olgier
June 21, 2006, 18:51
.308 is my main cal. for northern whitetails.

gunsap
June 21, 2006, 20:04
GREAT, Thanks for the input!! I have a few 5 round mags I have been told that Nevada does not have a mag capacity law for big game. Thanks agian GUNSAP

Flamehead
June 21, 2006, 20:08
,308 will put them in the dirt quick with good bullets. Make sure your knife is sharp.

Dakota FAL
June 21, 2006, 22:30
I am not an advocate of JHP rounds on game animals. I have experienced problems with the point getting stuffed with hair, hide, etc and then not expanding. In addition, JHP bullets in general tend to shed more of their weight than their spire pointed counterparts.

You will get much more reliable and consistent results with a spire point both in terms of penetration and expansion.

The .308 is a fine caliber for deer sized game to 400-500 yards and does a credible job on elk out to ranges of 200-250 yards.

Personally, I prefer 165 grain bullets in the .308 as they offer greater penetration on rear quartering shots than do 150 grain bullets and the lower velocity compared to faster and lighter rounds like the 7mm Mag tends to result in much less damage to the meat.

Da Nerd
June 23, 2006, 07:27
God I have seen some bloody messes from hunters who dont know how to gut a deer., then they wonder why the meat tastes like s--t.

If you do it right, you should not even get your hands bloody, and everything should just roll out in one big gut pile.

TideWater 41009
June 23, 2006, 08:08
Originally posted by Dakota FAL
I am not an advocate of JHP rounds on game animals. I have experienced problems with the point getting stuffed with hair, hide, etc and then not expanding. In addition, JHP bullets in general tend to shed more of their weight than their spire pointed counterparts.

You will get much more reliable and consistent results with a spire point both in terms of penetration and expansion.

The .308 is a fine caliber for deer sized game to 400-500 yards and does a credible job on elk out to ranges of 200-250 yards.

Personally, I prefer 165 grain bullets in the .308 as they offer greater penetration on rear quartering shots than do 150 grain bullets and the lower velocity compared to faster and lighter rounds like the 7mm Mag tends to result in much less damage to the meat.
+1, except I prefer 150 grain spire points for deer in .308 and .30-'06. 180 grain spire points in .30-'06 for elk or moose.

Don't use less than 150 grain bullets for big game, as they are designed for smaller stuff, and will blow up on deer or larger animals.

Survey Punk
June 23, 2006, 09:06
I pull the bullet on a ball round and seat a 150gr Remington Bronze Point. Works like a charm.

JB

rcnpthfndr
June 23, 2006, 09:11
+1 for a 165gr bullet.

i use a 165gr nosler ballistic tip, for everything out west. equally important is shot placement. if you have a place to shoot, practice standing, sitting, from a tree stand (if your going to shoot from one).

pumpkinheaver
June 23, 2006, 21:52
The .308 win is one of if not the best deer cartridge ever devised. I have used one for years. My favorite factory ammo is the winchester 150gr power point, it shoots great in my rifle. Below is a link to a Missouri dept conservation website page with instructions on how to field dress a deer. The main this is don't puncture the bladder or stomach if you can help it. Good luck on your hunt.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2003/09/50.htm

chromestarhustler
June 24, 2006, 00:47
winchester ballistic tips 168 gr. drops them to the dirt and a very sharp knife and gloves, jersey gloves or cut resist kinds cause i hate handling them because of the deer ticks. some people take a small saw to cut threw the pelvis. i prefer the ropey cable saw. a come along or truck winck and a set of deer hooks.

enjoy your father and son bonding time

gunsap
June 24, 2006, 03:40
Thanks for all the great info:fal:

bowser
June 26, 2006, 20:17
You can saw the pelvic bone but you dont have to. A sharp knife is a must though.

Start by putting the carcass on a slope if one is close, head high. Begin the cut around the genitals, work your way around and down towards the tail pipe, cutting along and around the tube if a buck. Severe the tube and toss aside. He won't need it anymore. Take the knife and stick it in and cut around the rectum, go as far as you can reach with a 3" blade, maybe even go around 2 times to make sure. Knick open the abdominal muscle where you started, big enough to slip 2-3 fingers into. Place the knife blade, edge up, between the fingers, but not beyond. Go slowly, moving the blade up and away from you, and cut the abdominal muscle all the way to the ribcage, taking care not to split open the stomach or intestines, which will begin to fall out the farther up you cut. Like unzipping a bag. Once you get to the ribcage, you can go ahead and cut the ribs from the sternum if you want. I dont bother to. Look into the cavity, and find the diapragm. Cut it away from the ribcage. you can pull most of the organs out now, and give yourself room to reach in and cut the windpipe. Pull the heart/lungs out, if there's much left to them. Get back down to the bottom, you're almost done. You'll see a split in the muscle above the pelvis where the two legs come together, cut that muscle down to the pelvis and the hind legs will lay apart better. Now cut into the pelvic void from the inside out, like you did around the rectum, but try not to poke the greyish colored bag the size of a lemon, the bladder. If you do, rinse thorougly as quickly as possible. If you get enough of the tissue and fat cut away from the pelvis, you can pull the colon/rectum backwards through the pelvis, and toss aside with the rest of the gutpile. Lift up the deer's head to drain what blood is still in the cavity, and take it home. Or in some states I think you have to take it home and gut it there. Good luck this season.

broncobisley1
June 26, 2006, 23:05
I like the Winchester 150 grain Powerpoints you can buy at Walmart in .308 or 30-06. They work great and are the best bang for the buck in my opinion, if I do my part they the deer usually drop in place or run less than 30 yds. I usually buy 10 boxes of them at a time and check to be sure they are from the same lot. Then I don't have to worry about point of impact changing, although I still check the rifle with a few rounds before each season in case the scope got knocked around or something.

I field dress deer slightly different from most. I listened to others when I was younger but taught myself. I have a Browning (I think Sportsman knife) with a gut hook. First I lay them on their back with their rear legs spread out. I make a cut through the skin on their chest to allow me to use the gut hook. I then use the gut hook and zip them open stopping short of their genital area. I then do basically what bowser said with a few changes. I cut the skin around the genital area and then snap their hips down to break what I can of their pelvis. Then I occasionally use a saw to cut through the pelvic bone, but usually just use my knife by putting the tip on the exposed pelvic bone and striking the butt of the knife to crack the bone. After I completely break the bone then I cut around the rectum and then dump all the guts out removing them like bowser desribed. I then rinse the cavity out thoroughly with water. Go slow your first time and try not to cut into the stomach, if you hear a sound like a small gush of air escaping then you have just cut the stomach and turn your head quickly cause it's gonna stink. Those who have done this will know what I'm talking about, my dad seems to always cut into the stomach for some reason, I have yet to. I admit to getting the stomach with a bullet (moving target) but never my knife. There is a good book that tells how to field dress deer, ect.. but I can't think of the name at the moment. It is about an inch thick and had recipes also, I'll see if I can find the title.

chromestarhustler
June 27, 2006, 00:44
use the saw on the pelvis. using your palm as a hammer method and the knife as a chisel really hurts if its frigid outside hell some times the pelvis is just plain stubborn and you gotta smack it a couple times. metal butt on knife plus soft boney hand equal ouch. must people dont use a saw cause they forgot it. hell try it bith ways seee what you think or maybe i am getting soft.

pumpkinheaver
June 28, 2006, 19:05
Read your regs. In some places you must leave the genitals in place.