PDA

View Full Version : Headspace (a different question)

Wrangler100
September 10, 2001, 03:36
Maybe it's a different question, couldn't find a specific answer in a search.

Using .308 guages; takes some pressure to close on the go gauge, will not close on the no go. Is the best way to set the headspace, assuming there will be some "set back" after firing? Been doing it this way and it works well, but after reading all the opinions I am thinking there may be a better way from an RKI.

Naz
September 10, 2001, 06:27
If you used .308 commercial gauges, (1.630 go, 1.634 no-go) this will be OK if you plan on firing .308 commercial ammo only. If you wish to use GI surplus, the chamber should be a little looser, by about .002 at least. According to FN specs, it would even be OK to close on a no-go(1.634), but that would be too loose for commercial ammo. 1.632 is a good compromise. :D

Dave1
September 10, 2001, 08:03
Originally posted by Wrangler100:
<STRONG>Maybe it's a different question, couldn't find a specific answer in a search.

Using .308 guages; takes some pressure to close on the go gauge, will not close on the no go. Is the best way to set the headspace, assuming there will be some "set back" after firing? Been doing it this way and it works well, but after reading all the opinions I am thinking there may be a better way from an RKI.</STRONG>

Here's what I do, When setting headspace I test the closing on the go gauge (commercial) and find out where it closes with light finger pressure, then I back up .001-.002 on the locking shoulder. Then retest once it's assembled. I like the bolt to close on the go under it's own weight when the rifle is vertical. Silly, maybe but I feel it'll eat whatever it gets fed :D I also think that any pressure on the bolt to get it to close on a go gauge is not good, to tight can be just as bad as to loose IMHO. Hope I haven't confused anyone.
Dave

W.E.G.
September 10, 2001, 08:17
This "setback" concept is not something you should bank on.

I assembled a rifle on an IMBEL receiver last week. It closes with no resistance on Forster and Clymer "GO" gages. It won't close on the "NO-GO" gages by either manufacturer.

It closes with moderate finger pressure on a 1.631 Forster "match" headspace gage.

It closes with no resistance on Malaysian, Chilean, Radway Green, and LC M852.

We fired about 150 rounds of various fodder this weekend.

It STILL closes with moderate finger pressure on a 1.631 Forster "match" headspace gage.