PDA

View Full Version : First rifle build, a G1 on Ibel rec.

SHOOTER762
April 04, 2002, 22:37
First, I would like to say Great board. I have learned a lot and feel very comfortable building a Fal type rifle.

I am waiting very anxiously for my G1 kit from Tapco. I paid the xtra 20. for a HP, I hope I get a good kit. I am going to build my G1 on a Imbel gear logo rec. from Dealer's Wherehouse. NICE reciever, good machine work.

I am going to need some Headspace gauges GO and NOGO and some pingauges. Where is the best place to get these at a reasonable price?

Apache7
April 05, 2002, 00:01
Brownell's carries the headspace gauges, and about anythung else a gunman could want.

MSC carries the pin gauges. Do a search here on pin gauges for the exact catalog numbers. MSC ships unnaturally fast, they must have access to wormholes or something.

blackbird
April 05, 2002, 05:53
Originally posted by Apache7:
<STRONG>MSC ships unnaturally fast, they must have access to wormholes or something.</STRONG>

I'll second that. I ordered some bandsaw blades and grit for the blasting cabinet at 10 pm on a tuesday. The stuff was here at 2 pm the following day via UPS!!! How they got something into UPS after 10 pm is beyond me. Granted, one of their warehouses is 50 miles away from here, but it's still incredible! You CAN go cheaper, you CAN't go better than MSC.

FAL guy
April 05, 2002, 08:22
I got the go and no go at Brownell's, the pin gages I got from http://www.meyergage.com/products/english_gage_sets.htm for $2 each

johnnyd123
April 05, 2002, 10:31
Originally posted by newFALguy:
<STRONG>I got the go and no go at Brownell's, the pin gages I got from http://www.meyergage.com/products/english_gage_sets.htm for $2 each</STRONG>

Thanks for the info on where to buy the pin guages. As a total newbie getting ready for my first build, how many & what size guages should I order? TIA
:)

Apache7
April 05, 2002, 11:52
I bought Vermont ZZ Class + pin gauges .254-.264 in even increments. Their about $2 a piece. This should cover you.

FAL guy
April 05, 2002, 18:29
Originally posted by johnnyd123:
<STRONG>

Thanks for the info on where to buy the pin guages. As a total newbie getting ready for my first build, how many & what size guages should I order? TIA
:)</STRONG>

I might as well answer this question before you ask it. The minus or the plus simply refers to the tolerance of the pin. The minus means that the pin (lets use a .262 as an example) can measure anywehre from .2620 to .2618. Since your dealing with measurements in the thousanths, a couple a ten thousanths are not going to matter one way or the other. So get either the plus or the minus.
Mike