PDA

View Full Version : Description of different types of receivers

Ohfal
September 09, 2001, 01:15
OK guys I need some input. I have an STG58 on Hesse (it works just fine) and I built a nice STG58 kit on an Imbel. I now have two kits on the way from Tapco, a G1 and an L1A1. I don’t expect either of these to be in perfect condition but I’m putting them together. I know several of you have been through this recently so I have several questions.
1. Which receiver type was the G1 originally built with/on?
2. Which company makes these?
3. Who has the best buy on this receiver?

Next are some Q’s about the L1A1.
1. Can I build this on a metric receiver? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this topic, and that it can be done.
2. Which receiver would be the best for this, in appearance and price? And who has them?
3. What other parts will I need to do this?

I know about the Williams receiver but I am planning on waiting for their lower and building one from as many new parts as I can find.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Radio
September 09, 2001, 06:34
METRIC PATTERN (G1)
1. Which receiver type was the G1 originally built with/on?
From the factory, Type-I. VERY small number repaired with newer Type-II, but this would not be factory-correct.
2. Which company makes these?
A- DSA; B- Entreprise; C- Federal Arms. (D- Williams Arms currently has a Type-I variation in aluminum; a steel version coming soon.)
Who has the best buy on this receiver?
A- $375 but you get what you pay for; the Cadillac. Also, the ONLY company making Type-II. B- $300, viable choice from a company working hard on customer service. C- $250, jury out, not many reports of builds on these. D- $225, lightweight option. Company bending over backwards to please.

INCH PATTERN (L1A1)
1. Can I build this on a metric receiver? I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this topic, and that it can be done.
Correctomundo. Use all your Inch parts with modification of cocking handle and dust cover, or use Metric counterparts. Rifle will only take Metric mags, which are far more common anyway.
2. Which receiver would be the best for this, in appearance and price? And who has them?
What do you mean? If you want an authentic Inch look, then the Entreprise Inch is the only game in town and will accept all your Inch parts and magazines as-is. If you desire, an experienced machinist can modify a Metric receiver to Inch specifications. Or just use a Metric receiver as outlined in (1) above. For the latter, any old receiver will do, actually. Choose your own poison.
3. What other parts will I need to do this?
None, assuming you're not talking about standard 922(r) compliance requirements of using 6 US-made parts (7 with US muzzle brake).

Hope this helps,

--Radio

Ohfal
September 09, 2001, 12:03
Thanks Radio for a very complete answer to my questions. I was under the impression that I would also have to change the charging handle for use with a metric receiver. I’m am going for exactly as you stated an L1A1 look with the ability to use all of my now existing metric mags. Should my US compliance parts for the L1A1 be metric or inch?

Double G Gunsmithing
September 09, 2001, 12:18
Dear Oh FAL and all,

Yes, you can build an L1A1 on a metric set.
Your fire control group will have to be Inch
( Hesse or FSE ) you can use a DSA metric gas piston, Inch pistol grip from Hines or
Dan @ VOW, Dan @ VOW cocking handle-Inch,
Dan's fax flash hider, and American rec,
your all set ! Or get an Iron Wood Inch set, and three nice real nice looking US parts from the start.

As far as the G1- Type 1 rec. Lawrence at Entreprise is talking with the FAL Board folks about marking some as such, to match their G1 kits.

DSA makes an excellent Type 1 that would great.

Williams will have a Type 1 steel rec in a bit also.

The choices are just getting better all the time !

Sincerely, George L. Gouger
Life Member NRA Since 1969 www.doubleggunsmithing.com (http://www.doubleggunsmithing.com)