PDA

View Full Version : OT: Milling Machine question (moved to GUNSMITHING)

Sophicles
April 03, 2002, 21:26
Well my mill arrived today in a luan crate. I decided to go with a Enco (RF-30) instead of the Jet JMD-15...there was just more bang for the buck with the Enco. In addition I could find nothing but positive reviews for this unit. Accurate, heavy (just under 700lbs, and right at $1000. Plus with a 2HP motor it has more power than Ill ever need.

At any rate I cant figure out why the power cord has no plug on it, just three wires with crimped eyelets. Is this typical for heavy machinery? I called Enco, but she said it could be 48 hrs before they return my call. Just thought I would ask here. BTW blackbird I took your advice and Im auditing basic machine shop ;).

(Ed: where it is most definitely ON-topic!)

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]

reidry
April 03, 2002, 21:35
Often heavy equipment assumes that you will wire it into a disconnect switch mounted on the wall out of the machines sphere of influence (i.e. your mill decides to swing a piece of 1" aluminum plate around ... you really don't want to get too awefully close to turn the darn thing off).

Pick up one of the square D lever arm switch disconnects at home depot or one of the pull type disconnects they have for AC units and place it a goodly distance away from the machine on the wall.

3 wires means you opted for the single phase machine. You should have a red, white and black. Red and Black are hot, white is the neutral.

Plus with a 2HP motor it has more power than Ill ever need.

Those are chinese horses right? :eek:

idsubgun
April 03, 2002, 21:36
Your lucky to even get eyelets.
Most machinery just has the bare wires because they are hardwired in. Just cut the eyelets off and install a plug. Don't mix up the wires.

Sophicles
April 03, 2002, 21:44
Those are chinese horses right?
Right on reidry. I guess they may not bee as stout as those Bridgeport thorough breds but I just couldnt afford those beauties. :D
I appreciate the advice guys!

blackbird
April 04, 2002, 03:42
Sophicles,

Make sure to square the head to the table with a dial indicator. I have helped two friends set up RongFu (Enco) Mill-Drills and in both cases they required shimming of the column at the base to square them to the table. Don't cry when the bondo cracks. Better to have some accuracy than looks. You will find no end of frustration unless you spend the time to true it at the onset.

Kharn
April 04, 2002, 07:31
Is the mill/drill you are talking about: http://www.use-enco.com/hotdeals/hd0402/71.pdf (the on on the top half of the page)?
I've got one, and the mill's power supply can be wired for either 220v or 120v. Remove the cover over the power switch, and you should find some contacts and a diagram on how to change the wiring. Check this before hooking your mill up, giving it the wrong power would be bad. After you decide which power you want, I went with 220v, wire up a plug, plug the sucker in and start WECSOG'ing with style.

Kharn

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: Kharn ]

BRM308
April 04, 2002, 10:56
Often you find these same machines sold in other countries. I think the US CAnada and australia use 120V at 60 cycles. GB uses 220V at I think 50 cycles as does the rest of europe. Rather than have two different motors in inventory they just have one doing double duty. Now slap a plug on that MF and get to work.

B3
April 04, 2002, 16:42
In our area the electrical code requires for a motor control to be wired in line in the circuit. You might want to check on this. I had to put one on my compressor -- costs a little more but makes it last longer.