PDA

View Full Version : Shooting High (moved to GUNSMITHING)

John Culver
April 03, 2002, 17:32
I recently rebarelled my FAL (STG-58)...The barrel was slightly out of time (around 5 degrees) so I carefully filed the shoulder of the barell down by about .001" It now seems to be in time fine and headspace is great. It, however, shoots VERY high, would this possibly be due to a not perfectly flat file job on the barell shoulder?

[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]

John Culver
April 03, 2002, 17:45
I guess this should be in gunsmithing..I always seem to have about 4 FALFILES windows open at once...arg

Sumoj275
April 03, 2002, 18:33
Was it shooting high before you rebrled? Did you buy the rifle already assembled and was sighted in? Where is hte post (high low), and does it have a folding rear sight?

need a little to ponder.

John Culver
April 03, 2002, 19:13
Shot well before, Folding rear site..even w/ the front most at max hieght it shoots wiegh high

Sumoj275
April 03, 2002, 21:02
If you have a metric front end and a inch rear sight, that could be the problem. I just can not picture why it was ok before and not now? The timing issue would have been the windage part? maybe someone can help on this too...

crapgame
April 04, 2002, 14:07
If you have a full Stg 58 parts kit your rear sight should not fold at all!!!

Unless the company you bought it from ripped you off or made a mistake you got to change it with a metric sight. A fold down sight is used on the inch Brittish or Commonwealth FAL and you should call Brad or Email Brad at Gunthings.com. That is unless you don't mind shooting skeeter and putting a third eye on your neighbor!! :D

Derby FALs
April 04, 2002, 15:35
Did the old barrel have open ears? Sounds like it had an Inch or Argy gas block which are taller the metric.

John Culver
April 05, 2002, 11:24
Original was a pre built by CAI so I dont know what the lower actually is...I replaced the front-end with all original Steyr.
So what rifles had the fold down rear sight?

Would that be the problem?

Sumoj275
April 05, 2002, 11:42
Easy way to tell inch frommetric is tolook at the butt stock. If the butt stock mounts flush with the lower and there is no cuts, then it is metric. If the stock has a recess that slips into the lower then it is inch. Also, being a Century rifle it could have an Indian lower, thus meaning a short folding type sight.

aleph_beth
April 05, 2002, 13:05
john, you put a new short front sight on what was previously a tall front sighted setup. the folding sight you have is tall compared to the peep that should go with the shorter front sight you now have. i dont think there is enough adjustment to correct for this. also, the metric dovetailed base will probably not fit into the dovetail on the lower that is now too high...i think...

John Culver
April 07, 2002, 15:53
Its a Century built gun..with an Imbel reciever marked R1A1.
I believe it to be metric.
-John

John Culver
April 07, 2002, 15:56
I'm not AT home right now so I cant easily check the stiock..I will when I go home though