PDA

View Full Version : Not On The G1 Bandwagon, So Questions...

ProGun1
April 03, 2002, 19:08
How does the flashhider attach to the barrel? Is the G1's barrel similar to the STG's in that you could use the STG's flashider or are the threads(if there are any) and barrel diameter different? Any pics of the two stripped barrels side by side definitely appreciated. Thanks.

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: ProGun1 ]

Radio
April 03, 2002, 20:07
As you probably know, the StG barrel is threaded to accept a screw-on (reverse thread) flash hider. The G1 barrel is not threaded but has a lug to accept a "quick detach" flash hider. Barrel diameters are the same so far as I know.

ANY flash hider has been deemed to be EVIL by our fine government, very bad juju, and cannot be used on your rifle (unless it is pre-ban, which doesn't apply in your case). As it happens, the StG flash hider won't fit on the G1 without first threading the G1 barrel... in any case you can't use it. Fageddabaddit.

Part of the appeal of the G1 is that there are no barrel threads to remove. Just twist off the quick detach FH, ashcan it, and go gloriously naked on your barrel. (Since the barrel lug is to fit a flash hider, not a bayonet, theoretically it can stay. Some people grind it off just to be nervously compliant.)

Other desirable G1 factors include the fact that they're Belgian-made and of course it's yet another variation of our beloved FAL and therefore extremely kewl.

--Radio

ProGun1
April 03, 2002, 20:43
Radio,
I just wanted to know how the barrel was configured if a spare becomes available and if I could then use it "off the shelf" as a replacement for an STG. Apparantly not so good to go. Thanks for the info.

Another question then. Has anyone had problems with muzzle brakes loosening from shooting? How does the solder stay in place sandwiched between two smooth surfaces or are you threading the barrel? My STGs had to have their threads cut across for better solder adhesion.

masterwrench
April 03, 2002, 23:18
use silver solder, not soft solder. Silver solder will not "shoot loose"