PDA

View Full Version : Oven cured paint over parderizing..teflon/moly ??

thud
April 03, 2002, 19:02
I plan on using one of the oven cured paints on my next FAL. I have seen
several references to painting over parkerizing. Is this the prefered
method? If so, are there any commercial weapons that use this technique
(so I can go to my local dealer and see what type of finish I would get)?
Is it similar to the CZ-75 with the black polycoat? I've been told the
CZ-75 polycoat is tough-as-nails.

What about the teflon/moly coating from Brownells?

Any do's or don'ts? Any comments?

avanarts
April 03, 2002, 19:14
The teflon/moly from Brownells works for me. I have used it over parkerizing and plain metal. My only tip is to make sure the surface is CLEAN. Gun Scrubber works well.

I seem to recall someone saying that the teflon/moly over parkerizing gives the best of both worlds

blackbird
April 04, 2002, 03:20
I've used Teflon/Moly from Brownells and it is good (very stinky but good). It is thicker than some of the alternatives.

I currently use the 1600 series of KG GunKote and it seems to be the best of the bunch.

You will need a cheap airbrush to apply the GunKote but the cost per ounce is much lower than a spray can this way and the level of control over the application much finer.

Also, surface preparation is all important to these bake-on finishes. Unless you rough up the metal there will be nothing for them to "bite into" and they will peel or flake in short order. Sand or oxide blasting is best. #120 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper will work in a pinch. Beadblasting does not produce a rough enough surface and the paint flakes off readily. In any case, make sure you thoroughly degrease the parts.

Some people here also use the high temperature automotive finishes ("500 degree, 1200 degree") from the Auto Parts store with reportedly good results but I have no personal experience with this.

If you want to take a look at GunKote their website is (I believe) www.kgcoatings.com (http://www.kgcoatings.com) and it can be ordered online. Depending on the color and finish (matte, satin, etc.) the finish can look like a lot of modern fireams you might have seen. The 1600 series looks a lot like Les Baer's teflon finish.

EMDII
April 04, 2002, 08:11
I used KG Products OD. IIRC, KG is the supplier for a number of the custom shops, using whatever process name they choose.

The Brownells Moly can be finicky, but I've used it succesfully on a Ruger 10/22. IME the KG went on more smoothly.

ARS finishes are primo. His process is more home-brewed I think.

Stosh
April 04, 2002, 20:29
I have a FEG Hi-power copy that my smith put a Brownells Moly coat on over parkerizing. After 4 years and about 2000 rounds , mostly at pin shoots, not one defect in the finish!
Remember parkerizing was originally intended as a primer coat, and would then be top coated. The parkerizing produces a bondable surface for the top coat to bond to.
Just my buck $2.98 worth

Stosh
April 04, 2002, 20:32
PS: The final finish produced is a semi-flat black slightly pebbled finish. Looks very good. I get a lot of positive comments on it.