PDA

View Full Version : Will a water-based stain and tung oil work together?

armedpeasant
April 03, 2002, 18:26
I'll be rifinishing the stock on one of my $79 K-31's and I'm thinking of using a water-based stain. I prefer oil-based, but I want to use a green stain (to each his own), and I can only find water-based stains that are green. I want to finish with tung oil, and I'm wondering if there are any problems applying tung oil over a water-based stain. Thanks.

TideWater 41009
April 03, 2002, 19:47
This will work fine. Be sure to let the stain dry overnight before applying the finish.

If the stain is completely dry you won't have any problems.

The water based stain will probably raise the grain of the wood as it dries. Just rub the wood down with some fine steel wool before you start applying the oil. You will get a very smooth finish.

[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: RefinishGuy/GunThings.com ]

Arby
April 03, 2002, 20:18
You can also use dye, and then tung oil. I did this on some Belgian wood, and it turned out great. It is also easier to sand off, if there is a problem with the finish.

TideWater 41009
April 03, 2002, 22:06
Originally posted by Arby:
<STRONG>You can also use dye, and then tung oil. </STRONG>
You sure can! Plain ol' Rit dye from the supermarket, in your choice of color, will do a very good job of staining wood.

armedpeasant
April 03, 2002, 23:03
Thanks for the advice. If I decide to use the dye, do I mix it with water, or apply it to the wood, undiluted? Thanks, again.

TideWater 41009
April 03, 2002, 23:53
You can control the strength of the dye by how much water you add. I suggest mixing about half the package of dye with about half the recommended amount of water and go from there. If that's not dark enough, add more dye; if it's too dark, add water.