PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 Rear Sight Help

jps32
April 03, 2002, 17:44
I have an L1A1 and the rear slight moves when fired. Is there a way to tighten it up or is there a fix? Any recommended new types on the market?

Any infor. appreciated.

John :confused:

kotengu
April 03, 2002, 18:43
I had one that "jumped" that I never could figure out. Out of frusteration I drilled and tapped the sucker and put an allen head screw in to hold it in place - I've only ever used the 200yd setting anyway :rolleyes:

Maybe somebody can give you some better advice, but it'll work as a last resort!

Yo Quiero FAL
April 04, 2002, 15:56
The rear site of my L1A1 does the same thing. It moves one "notch" forward with every round fired. Someone on this board suggested temporarily removing the sight from the lower receiver, squeezing the sliding block together ever so slightly a little at a time, check fit and repeat until it's tight.

I did this and it now moves one notch forward with every 3 shots. It still wobbles from side to side even though I can barely get the sliding block on and off the ramp.

I'd go for what kotengu said or put a SUIT or a scope of your choosing on it. The hole in the rear sight is way too big anyway for target shooting. Good luck.

Briar
April 04, 2002, 19:46
There should be free movement of spring and ball in the slide, make sure that the diameter of the hole does not exceed 0.1265 in.

Briar

gunplumber
April 04, 2002, 22:54
I replace most of the rear sight springs and many of the bearings on ARS shop guns. Some of the bearings are no longer round, and the springs are often in poor shape.

withergyld
April 04, 2002, 23:46
Mine did the same thing but I took it off and cleaned it up real good and it doesn't do it any more. It was a real mess inside.
Remove the windage screw on one side and slide the sight out of the dove tail. Once off, the little pin in front can be pushed down and the slider slid off the front of the base. Be careful, there are VERY SMALL parts involved here. There should be a small spring and a ball bearing inside. Clean it all up very good with an old toothbursh, and a Q-tip to clean the hole the spring and ball go in. Oil slightly and reassemble in reverse order. If you turn the slider so that the hole is down it makes reassemly a bit easier. Then for the best part, Go to the range and see if it fixed it :D :D :D

Grail
April 05, 2002, 00:27
I used the little hole in the left side of the housing and drilled shallow holes at every location on the base and threaded the housing hole itself for a short allen head screw with fine pitch threads.It requires an allen key to change elevation but it does not wiggle anymore.I thought about soldering a little knob onto the screw but I usually shoot at the same distance with iron sights anyway so it's not worth the trouble.