PDA

View Full Version : vorocious fish 'round here

splattermatic
June 10, 2006, 22:37
caught a good sized smallie yesterday (goofing of during work), and noticed something funny while reeling it in.

it was the tail of a smaller fish.
ya gotta look close to see it.

splattermatic
June 10, 2006, 22:39
here's looking down it's throat.

splattermatic
June 10, 2006, 22:42
turned out to be about a 7 inch yellow perch.
i don't know if it was stuck and it was starving to death, because it still tried to eat my lure.
or
was it digesting it and was just being a pig ??

anyways, i took my needlenose pliers and pulled it.
so either i took a good meal away from it, or i saved it's life.

it sure is a fat smallie, so i think it was being a pig.

splattermatic
June 10, 2006, 22:45
smallie's up here are sure vicious, especially when they hit a lure.
the wife had about a 4 pounder 'bout pull the rod outta her hands last sunday, when reeling in a trolled deep diver rapala perch pattern.

here's some size comparisons, the pliers are as long as my hand from middle finger to wrist.

splattermatic
June 10, 2006, 22:47
and brian in mn, here's the pic i took while we were on the phone yakking...

see i told you i had a great view from my office...

owlcreekok
June 11, 2006, 00:32
Don't mean at all to steal your thunder, Splatt. I have caught a few Largemouth with a tail of another fish not yet all the way down. Bass (Largemouth and Smallmouth) are quite the pig. I have had LM take lure hooks that would barely fit in their maw. Once I pulled in a 6" LM that had ALL THREE tines of one treble in it's mouth. This on a 5/8" ounce Arbogast Jitterbug. Talk about gluttons !

I have always wanted to catch Smallmouth. I am told they fight many times harder than their bucketmouthed cousins.

My favorite Bass tale is the one when I hooked a 2 pounder near the shore, within 10 feet of where I was standing. When I reached down to "lip" him out of the water I noticed a black plastic worm in his jaw as well. I took my lure out of him, then the worm. My buddy was down the shore 50 feet or so, picking a backlash out of his Ambassaduer. I asked him, "Kevin, you fishin black Fliptails ? " He says, "Yup, soon as I get the ((*&# birdnest out " I says, well, here's your worm AND your fish. :biggrin:

I expect he hates me to this day for that. :devil:

Stranger
June 11, 2006, 12:55
You mean a 'voracious' fish?

Nice smallie. It looks like the meal was partially digested.

Brian in MN
June 11, 2006, 13:53
Nice view, dude. Good to know what a hard worker you are.

Da Nerd
June 11, 2006, 15:22
Many times predator fish will strike out of protecting their territory or a nest.

English Mike
June 11, 2006, 19:44
Hey Splatt; you're going to have to take me fishing in October - don't seem to find the time over here:sad:

splattermatic
June 11, 2006, 22:30
sure, but ya gotta "hook" me up with some deep diving lures..
some big ones.....

got pike on the brain real bad, saw a monster the other day, and wanna go after some that live in the lake.
that's why i asked if they roam or have a home area...was up on a cliff looking down in the lake and saw him in the shadow of a boulder, and a submerged tree.
he faded out into the sunlight , than went back in... didnt see him again, but about 10 minutes later, the little fishies were back out swimming again.
so i guess he moved off.

he looked longer than my leg, and that's no fish tale.......god's honest truth...

when you comin over again ?? elk season ??

if so ya need a hunter's safety sourse card or certificate, one from there will do, as mine is from when i passed the german hunters safety course when i was overseas, walmart took it as legit..